Any advice for those who aren't into subwoofers?

• Members

My band has a gig tomorrow night for a group of about 100 high schools students. The keyboardist decided on our PA system layout for the event and didn't include a subwoofer. Our band members are in their mid to late fifties and didn't cut their teeth on a heavy subwoofer sound. Though it's evident to me that the subwoofer plays a very critical role in contemporary sound systems, I'm a bit frustrated trying to convince a couple of band members. Do any of you soundmen have a word of advice for our band? Much thanks!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks, good points. My only worry is that the teen crowd is so accustomed to the body shaking thumps that the show will be a bit less appreciated and the music a bit less likely to move teens to the dance floor; plus, we have a fairly lightweight subwoofer that doesn't seem to be that difficult to move around and set up.

• Members

Choosing to run without a sub, is akin to saying I don't want to hear any of the low frequencies that I normally would, in the real world.

Be forewarned; most inexperienced people who play music over an audio system, tend to look for that "just like it sounds live" experience. When their system is incapable of reproducing the low frequencies that the ear (and the brain) expect to hear, they inevitably crank that volume knob. Ahhh!!!, there's that bass. Problem is, they've now also disproportionately raised the volume of the highs, so the lows are STill out of whack. Solution? Let's crank it some more. Poof!!!!

I don't know why people have to equate subs, with that boomy overdriven image. Subs, when properly balanced and effectively used, simply reproduce a normal frequency range. Not using one, is in my opinion, as ridiculous as overdriving one.

Have you ever listened to a symphony orchestra "live"? Even in the quietest passages, you still feel the "weight" of that large orchestra; and that, is what subs should be about; A natural extension of the low frequency range.

Distortion, is what causes listener fatigue.

Bob

• Members

I'm in the same age group as you. My first thought is if I had to perform for high school aged kids who basically only know the over compressed, over processed sound that is today's music, I would bring subs. I see two outcomes. Either you are those old guys that played music or you are the old guys that played music and sounded really good. In my eyes, subs are not optional. If you cant convince the powers that be to use subs, make sure you don't mic the kick or bass and have a great time. Being the old guys that played music and were fun to watch isn't bad either.

• Members

Can't rock the house w/o subs!

I have to ask... What's the setlist you'll be hitting the kids with? Anything they know or classic stuff?

I do agree that what you play will have much more of an effect than what you play it through!

No matter what, have fun and perform with enthusiasm. Show them why live music rules!

• Members

Part of me worries about what sound environment you'll be in. A good stage and theater? A basketball court? Subs in a basketball court are a disaster. In a good theater, something we didn't grow up with, they would be nice, but easily overdone and probably not missed much if not there.

About half the gigs my band plays are without subs. If we're not micing the kick drum, we don't need subs, and the trailer they live on. (Indoors we don't mic the bass either and none of my keyboard parts tax the bottom end.)

Subs - nice but not necessary for nearly all music styles. Listening to early 60s rock and roll reminds me how much heavier bass guitar is now. Those people got famous without it. Explains the Fender Bassman amps. 100 tube watts and two 15" speakers. Was the standard for the age.

• Members
I'm a bit frustrated trying to convince a couple of band members.

If you're not happy playin' in a FOG band there are other bands with guys your age lookin' for decent musicians. Frankly sounds like these guys are just too lazy and/or set in their ways to want to do it right.

• Members

Running a PA without subs is akin to being told to paint a forests scene, but don't use green. Sure, it can be done, but you won't be particularly happy with the results. Of course, it also depends on the frequency response of the full range cabinets, and what kind of music you are playing.

Bluegrass without a sub would be ok. Acopella vocal shows, also probably (aside from a couple notable exceptions).

Funk, 80's rock, dance/electronic? Forget about it. You need a Sub for that stuff.

• CMS Author

Listening to early 60s rock and roll reminds me how much heavier bass guitar is now. Those people got famous without it. Explains the Fender Bassman amps. 100 tube watts and two 15" speakers. Was the standard for the age.

This is a rather revisionist view. Reproducing low frequency was difficult and very expensive in the 60's. Musicians didn't consciously decide to forego the low end, they did without because good subs and suffcient power at a reasonable cost were virtually non-existent at that time.

The Bassman 100 was a standard, but that was pretty much the most powerful bass amp readily available at a reasonable price for a long time. When the 300 watt SVT came out, it was a hit and bassists haven't looked back since.

The same goes for PA gear. Compare the price of a mere 300 watts in 1970 and today. Compare the amount and cost of speakers needed to provide support for 40-100Hz in 1970 and today.

• Members

This is a rather revisionist view. Reproducing low frequency was difficult and very expensive in the 60's. Musicians didn't consciously decide to forego the low end, they did without because good subs and suffcient power at a reasonable cost were virtually non-existent at that time.

The Bassman 100 was a standard, but that was pretty much the most powerful bass amp readily available at a reasonable price for a long time. When the 300 watt SVT came out, it was a hit and bassists haven't looked back since.

The same goes for PA gear. Compare the price of a mere 300 watts in 1970 and today. Compare the amount and cost of speakers needed to provide support for 40-100Hz in 1970 and today.

Exactly. They used what was available to them, and if a more capable system was there for the using, I'm sure it would have not been turned down.

And i would be willing to bet that most teenagers today do not listen to music from the 60's, and prefer full range sound.

Use the sub if you have it. It doesnt have to be overwhelming bass to help.

• Members

Exactly. They used what was available to them, and if a more capable system was there for the using, I'm sure it would have not been turned down.

And i would be willing to bet that most teenagers today do not listen to music from the 60's, and prefer full range sound.

Use the sub if you have it. It doesnt have to be overwhelming bass to help.

I think you would be very surprised to what kids listen to now. Some of them listen to old school music all the time. I am always amazed that some of them really know a lot about motown.

Many bands live without subs you just arent going to get the big kick though. Generally depending how capable your mains are you can put a little kick and snare in the mix to bring them up. Bass probably best if your bass player augments his rig if he has like a 2x10 or something. Put an extra cab on the bass rig to help out. One 8x10 with 300 watts can kick some major ass in a moderate sized place.

• Members
disaster. In a good theater, something we didn't grow up with, they would be nice, but easily overdone and probably not missed much if not there.

About half the gigs my band plays are without subs. If we're not micing the kick drum, we don't need subs, and the trailer they live on. (Indoors we don't mic the bass either and none of my keyboard parts tax the bottom end.)

Subs - nice but not necessary for nearly all music styles. Listening to early 60s rock and roll reminds me how much heavier bass guitar is now. Those people got famous without it. Explains the Fender Bassman amps. 100 tube watts and two 15" speakers. Was the standard for the age.

honestly, some of the stuff you come up with........:confused:

Archived