Gear purchases since last March

ThudMaker

• Moderators

Out of curiosity has anyone else caught the bug of getting more gear since Covid hit? I hadn't really had time for music, but as much as I am involved with I find getting my instruments back into shape, upgrading pickups, getting into guitar more and playing has been a much needed diversion. Did I mention getting into guitar more? I've purchased 3 Tele's and a G&L Tribute ASAT Classic, a bunch of pedals, sold a bunch of pedals, bought a Marshall amp, sold my last bass amp (the EBS Microbass 3 works great). Now I just have to build a much better pedal board than what I have going on right now.

Surely I can't be the only one.

• Members

I have discovered that when I can't play music with a band on a regular basis, I start spending money on gear. I guess it's my unhealthy (and expensive) way of compensating?

During this current lockdown (no band rehearsals since October), I have bought a Bergantino Forte HP head, a Fodera Monarch Deluxe, and a Sandberg Nighthawk Plus. I didn't NEED any of this stuff!!!! And I haven't even been able to hook up the Berg yet, it was just a good deal I couldn't pass up!

• Like 1

• Members

I used part of my first stimulus check to buy a "cheap" fretless bass. A local mom & pop store had a Squier Jazz bass for the same price ($400)  the big box music store sells it! Mine is a lined fretless with sunburst body and some kind of brown wood for the fingerboard. The build quality is excellent, I can't find any flaws in the fit or finish. Contrary to my expectations, the bass came with roundwounds, I played it that way for a week or so but then went and bought a set of flatwound strings - D'addario Chromes. My fretted basses have roundwounds, I wanted something different for this bass. 

First fretless, first Jazz Bass, first bass with flatwound strings. 

I LOVE playing it! The flatwound strings have a nice feel, my intonation seems reasonable if not perfect, and I dig blending the two single coil pickups, I finally get why these basses are so popular and well-loved. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...