Quad box for amps

• Members

Sheesh.....I think I'll just leave it flopping around....:lol:

Seriously though,

My quad box was wired by a professional commercial electrician so I have no worries about the ground. But, what happens when I attach the quad box to the vented rack panel?

I wouldnt think that the ground for the 4 receptacles would change, would it?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sheesh.....I think I'll just leave it flopping around....
:lol:

Seriously though,

My quad box was wired by a professional commercial electrician so I have no worries about the ground. But, what happens when I attach the quad box to the vented rack panel?

I wouldnt think that the ground for the 4 receptacles would change, would it?

Provided the box is properly bonded to the supply cable and is properly bonded to the rack panel (locking hardware, clean bare surface at the designated bond point) that should be adequate. Always test with at least a multimeter. We often do a fault current test to insure the bond can pass adequate current.

• Members

You can mount a standard back box to the Raxxess modular receptical plates.

Just looked this up, the duplex coverplates are for LOW VOLTAGE applications only (their disclaimer) and the plates will not fit any standard 2 gang or 4sq backbox. The holes and plate width/height is all wrong.

What good is a 120 volt duplex cover if it's not listed or rated to work with line voltages???:confused:

I remember looking at this before.

• Members

Drilling two holes allows you to mount a standard 2x4 or 4x4 back box. The plate is large enough for this to be done.

How can it mount on a 4x4 box when the plate is only 3.39" wide x 3.49" tall. You {censored}ting me or at least havin' some fun eh? :poke:

• Members

I checked back on shop orders and found that we used a 3u blank panel, mounted the Raxxess Duplex module to it and then drilled the panel for the 4x4 back box. Seems we didn't have a punch for a duplex outlet at the time.

Now, with our CAD milling machine, we can produce the panel from scratch.

• Members

So what is being said here,is that you are mounting the quad boxes to a 3-space bank at the back/bottom of the rack,and the grounding is handled by the lock washers that are on the screws that are holding the boxes to the blank?Is this correct? This is an avenue I may do with my rack,so I want to make sure it is right!

• Members

So what is being said here,is that you are mounting the quad boxes to a 3-space bank at the back/bottom of the rack,and the grounding is handled by the lock washers that are on the screws that are holding the boxes to the blank?Is this correct? This is an avenue I may do with my rack.

i already mentioned this and got no response. "by proxy" grounding and bonding are not the same thing, and i have no panels that have more than one bond. i dont understand the need to bond in two places, hence the question.

• Members

So what is being said here,is that you are mounting the quad boxes to a 3-space bank at the back/bottom of the rack,and the grounding is handled by the lock washers that are on the screws that are holding the boxes to the blank?Is this correct? This is an avenue I may do with my rack,so I want to make sure it is right!

Yes, this is correct, and it doesn't matter how many connetions to ground are made to the panel for power distro as long as there is one clearly identifyable one.

This will also insure the rack rail is bonded to the system safety ground.

• Members

i already mentioned this and got no response. "by proxy" grounding and bonding are not the same thing, and i have no panels that have more than one bond. i dont understand the need to bond in two places, hence the question.

There is nothing wrong with multiple bonds on the panel. Every connection between the two pieces of metal will a bond. One MUST be designated as the primary or identified bond.

• Members

there was confusion earlier in your statement about this, you seemed to be saying you need to bond both the inlet and box to the panel. i have only ever bonded the box to the panel. is this a suitable solution?

If you use a flanged inlet, or cable inlet, the ground conductor or terminal must be bonded to the sheet metal at the designated bonding point. These do not have internal bonds between the terminal and the mounting hardware like receptacles or yoke mounted devices do.

Archived