Quad box for amps

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ok, that makes sense. what if the panel or entry point is non-conductive? is that a problem?

If the panel is non-conduvctive then a bond is not required.

The basic rule is that all accessable conducting parts must be bonded to ground, unless it's certified and listed as double-insulated, which does not apply to this anyway.

• Members

http://www.provantage.com/tripp-lite-rs-0615-r~7TRPM00W.htm

Features Include

Versatile all-metal cabinet with detachable mounting flanges allows rackmount, wallmount, undercounter and other creative mounting options

Uses one rack space (1U) in standard 19 inch rack ("zero U" mounting possible in many racks)

Unfiltered electrical pass-through reliably distributes alternate waveform AC power from UPS or generator to supported equipment

6 rear facing NEMA5-15R output receptacles

15 foot AC cord NEMA5-15P plug connection

Lighted power switch confirms power on/off status

Latching switch guard prevents accidental turn off

15 amp electrical capacity with circuit breaker

120VAC, 50/60Hz electrical compatibility

This is why I built a quad box. This is the same as the standard "power conditioner" with the 15amp circuit breaker.

• CMS Author

http://www.provantage.com/tripp-lite-rs-0615-r~7TRPM00W.htm

Features Include

Versatile all-metal cabinet with detachable mounting flanges allows rackmount, wallmount, undercounter and other creative mounting options

Uses one rack space (1U) in standard 19 inch rack ("zero U" mounting possible in many racks)

Unfiltered electrical pass-through reliably distributes alternate waveform AC power from UPS or generator to supported equipment

6 rear facing NEMA5-15R output receptacles

15 foot AC cord NEMA5-15P plug connection

Lighted power switch confirms power on/off status

Latching switch guard prevents accidental turn off

15 amp electrical capacity with circuit breaker

120VAC, 50/60Hz electrical compatibility

This is why I built a quad box. This is the same as the standard "power conditioner" with the 15amp circuit breaker.

Tripp Lite has several similar models with 20 amp capacity.

• Members

True, as well as many other companies. But, I just cant justify spending $70-80 or more on one. From all the sites that I have visited, a rack mount power strip is more expensive than a power "conditioner" with fancy lights and a circuit breaker.....makes no sense

• Members

True, as well as many other companies. But, I just cant justify spending $70-80 or more on one. From all the sites that I have visited, a rack mount power strip is more expensive than a power "conditioner" with fancy lights and a circuit breaker.....makes no sense

Makes no sense unless you need one that comes in that configuration and the installation requires a UL listing on the distribution product.

• CMS Author

Makes no sense unless you need one that comes in that configuration and the installation requires a UL listing on the distribution product.

Or you build a quad box that costs nearly the same as eitherof these options. Kellems are about $36, copper is about a million bucks a pound, and of course Hubbell commercial quality receps are a dime a dozen....

• Members

Or you build a quad box that costs nearly the same as eitherof these options. Kellems are about $36, copper is about a million bucks a pound, and of course Hubbell commercial quality receps are a dime a dozen....

the electrical warehouse here doesnt stock much if any hubble due to quality issues, but they will gladly sell me leviton stuff on hand.

• CMS Author

the electrical warehouse here doesnt stock much if any hubble due to quality issues, but they will gladly sell me leviton stuff on hand.

Your supplier likely has a better deal (markup) on Leviton than Hubbell. Both have good stuff, and some consumer stuff that's sold to Home Depot, etc. that's typical pricepoint fare....the JRX of electrical.:lol:

• Members

That's a load of hooey... I use Hubbell on a lot of jobs and have had no issues whatsoever. Like Craig said... margins my son, margins. The future is in margins.

• Members

Anyone that would spend $70-80 for a quad box to supply power to 4 amplifiers needs their head examined.

• Members

Anyone that would spend $70-80 for a quad box to supply power to 4 amplifiers needs their head examined.

Or needs proper UL listed hardware and strain reliefs (Kellems) and commercial grade receptacles, diecast enclosure etc. and length/trpe of supply cable and connector.

• CMS Author

Or needs proper UL listed hardware and strain reliefs (Kellems) and commercial grade receptacles, diecast enclosure etc. and length/trpe of supply cable and connector.

Deke08,

Thanks for the insult.

The last quad I built cost right at the top of that range:

35ft of 10/2 cable $20,

3/4" Kellem $36,

20a Hubbell commercial plug $6,

two(2) 20a Hubbell commercial grade receps $12,

cast box $4,

nylon cover plate $2.

And this was right before copper prices skyrocketed.

If you've got better prices by all means please share them with us. I don't enjoy paying a lot for quality, code-legal equipment, but it's kinda necessary.

• Members

yeah but craig, are you gonna build THAT quad for an amp rack? most of the quads in my racks have about 3' of cable between the box and the panel, need no kellums grip or cable end plug so that would drop your cost down to a fraction.

your description would make a nice stage box though.

• CMS Author

yeah but craig, are you gonna build THAT quad for an amp rack? most of the quads in my racks have about 3' of cable between the box and the panel, need no kellums grip or cable end plug so that would drop your cost down to a fraction.

your description would make a nice stage box though.

That is my amp rack box. I don't attach it to the rack because that serves no purpose as I don't store the cable inside it. So I subtract 30' of cable, the plug and the Kellum. I then need a 3U larger rack, rack panel, backbox, inlet, and a 30' extension cable. I doubt that would save money.

The point was only that code-compliant equipment costs significantly more than some stuff that might work but also might get you shut down after an inspection, and won't last nearly as long.

• Members

That
is
my amp rack box. I don't attach it to the rack because that serves no purpose as I don't store the cable inside it. So I subtract 30' of cable, the plug and the Kellum. I then need a 3U larger rack, rack panel, backbox, inlet, and a 30' extension cable. I doubt that would save money.

The point was only that code-compliant equipment costs significantly more than some stuff that might work but also might get you shut down after an inspection, and won't last nearly as long.

all true, but the quad box part would no longer be $75.

quite often i will only have 2 spaces available for the patch panel so i just mount the quad to the bottom of the rack rather than the panel. there is one rack however that this did not work on and i had to use 2 duplex boxes (one for the two amps and the other for courtesy) as the amps were too deep in the rack to put a quad there.

• CMS Author

???

It's 10/2 with ground. I've been doing a lot of work with Romex and SE cable the past several weeks, so I'm in NM mode, not portable cord mode.:lol:

The specific cable is Carol SJOOW, common stuff from either Home Depot or my local supply house. Junior is generally acceptable around here for stage feeders to audio gear. Extra-hard is required for distro supply feeder and all lighting.

• CMS Author

all true, but the
quad box
part would no longer be $75.

quite often i will only have 2 spaces available for the patch panel so i just mount the quad to the bottom of the rack rather than the panel. there is one rack however that this did not work on and i had to use 2 duplex boxes (one for the two amps and the other for courtesy) as the amps were too deep in the rack to put a quad there.

The total cost from wall to amp is the same. Again, the point was the cost of compliant gear. The poster said $80 for a quad box was worthy of having one's head examined. Recall back in the thread that the quad was suggested as a cost-saving measure over the Tripp Lite rack panel. It's not. Whether you use a commercial quality rack panel, build a code-compliant panel, or use a separate code-compliant quad, it still comes to $70-80 to get from amp to distro.

• Members

i've actually never been able to do it that cheap even without the kellums, especially with 12/3 at over a buck a foot and cable ends at $9 (homer depot) or $12 (warehouse) twist inlets at $20

hell, to go 14' from my distro to the wall was over $100

so let me do some math here, from the distro to the amps:

cable end (distro side) $10

cable end (am rack side) $12

panel inlet $20

panel $15

cable 50' 12/3 SJ $50 or SO $85

so far its at $142 without tax

then you need boxes, box covers, about 3' of cable inside the rack, box clamps, screws, outlets, wire nuts etc lets say worst case $50

$192

and thats with no kellums (i dont see any reason a bolted box needs a grip)

then you need a hole saw ($25) for the inlet, a greenlee for the D sized holes ($50), a drill press for the D sized rivet holes ($400), a rivet gun, a this, a that............

to be perfectly honest all my amp rack quad boxes are the $3 knockout boxes with $4 outlets. the AHJ at work says this is fine, didnt see any issue with a knockout box mounted in a rack but that doesnt mean a different AHJ wouldnt see an issue, just not mine.

• CMS Author

Yeah, what's legal is whatever the AHJ says is legal. Here we typically cite NEC in it's latest variants since that's pretty much used by most jurisdictions, but there's nothing stopping a city from writing its own code....well, nothing but insurance companies that might refuse to write policies in that area.....

Archived