Monitor Suggestions (Active)

• CMS Author

My guess is: In the neighborhood bar scene, you can get by fine with less than a PRX 512 for monitors.

Agedhorse/Craigv, is something like the NX25P really not worth it?

Did I comment on the NX25P?:confused:

I'm suggesting he standardize on the PRX's because he already has a pair. That sets the bar pretty high. I'm sure the NX's will do fine, but in my experience it's always worked out better when I stretch a little and go for something a little better than I think I need, instead of a little less. For sure, PRX's cost some coin, but the results are so worth it. If he can do it, he can. If not, nobody's gonna be hurt if he gets something else.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Where do you run the level control at on the 450? When my band use to use them for monitors we had the level at 12:00. We only had thermal issues one time when used as a monitor IIRC.

Right on the nominal setting. Usually have the 75hz cut engaged.

• Members

My guess is: In the neighborhood bar scene, you can get by fine with less than a PRX 512 for monitors.

Agedhorse/Craigv, is something like the NX25P really not worth it?

I use it. Trouble free for about 4 years now at least 3 nights a week, usually more. It's a great monitor for the money. We never have any trouble getting the vocals loud and clear on stage.

• Members
Did I comment on the NX25P?
:confused:

I'm suggesting he standardize on the PRX's because he already has a pair. That sets the bar pretty high. I'm sure the NX's will do fine, but in my experience it's always worked out better when I stretch a little and go for something a little better than I think I need, instead of a little less. For sure, PRX's cost some coin, but the results are so worth it. If he can do it, he can. If not, nobody's gonna be hurt if he gets something else.

Whoops, I guess you didn't:facepalm:

I guess I asked the question that way because the OP asked for suggestions on A, B, C, or D, and got the recommendation to go with F. This is very common and perfectly acceptable, I'm just curious about "why?", especially since he stated his budget. I used the NX25P as a reference since they seem to be generally well-liked...

Looks like you caught the drift, since your explanation is exactly what I was asking.:thu:

• Members
Unless you are planning on getting a new mixer right away you might try to find some used passive monitors. Otherwise I would buy another PRX512m for yourself. If the rest of the band sings they should supply their own monitors.

That's not a bad idea... but any band where I sing the majority of vocals is not going to be a good band. ;)

• Members

Good point. That mixer will power four monitors easily.

I figure the cheapest I could get a pair of passive monitors would be $300. That's money I could put towards other stuff that I wouldn't be looking to replace. If I had gigs lined up and needed them ASAP I would probably go this route.

To me, the PRX seems like overkill. They are nice speakers and sound really good, but for the price of two of them I could get three NX25Ps and the entire band would be set.

Not too mention I still need to pic up 3-4 SM 58s.

• Members
I wrote earlier...get one PRX and a cheap passive.

It'll be incentive/proof to the rest of the band.....
:idea::lol:

This maybe the way to go. Pick up the other PRX now and get the passive monitors when necessary.

B-Stock PRXs can be had on Ebay for $650.

• Members

Then again if I'm willing to get one passive speaker why not just get two and if I feel it becomes worth it down the line I pick up the PRX(s) for monitor use? The money is not so much the issue as is the fact that IMO the quality of the equipment would be alittle much for the venue. It seems to me like it's guitar players who play half stacks in a 50 people bar.

• Members

No offense Al but even a cheap POS speaker can usually sound Good with PRE-RECORDED music. For band use not so much.

I agree with you on that. My experience provinding live sound is not as extensive as many of you, why I recommended the OP try the speakers out before making a decision. Most of the speakers I have used/tried/tested could be made to sound at least decent with pre-recorded music. However, some required more EQ than others to do so. Those that require so much EQ to sound good with pre-recorded music, would probably be that much more difficult to EQ in a live situation (that is my guess) - why i could not recommend them for live sound. Speakers such as the ones I got from EBay - (if you have read my latest review) are a good example. The Samson Live! 1212s are another. Both these speakers didn't sound too good out of the box, but could sound OK with EQ applied. I still have those EBay speakers, and I've used them for a few low paying or free gigs (my daughter's 6th birthday - we had a little dance party in the basement) and they are Ok BUT I would never attempd live sound with them.

As for my YX15Ps, NX55Ps and Titan 12 activess - they all sound pretty damn good out of the box without any EQ so I would see very little trouble getting them to sound good live.

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

You don't think I could get a pair of active monitors for $800-900? Are the Yorkville, Mackie, and JBL speakers I listed junk? I thought they are atleast the upper end of the weekend warrior/neighborhood bar type gigs I play. I don't want to buy junk, but I don't want to buy something that really doesn't make sense for $50-150 per man gigs where it will take me 4-5 years to break even.

90% of the time vocals would be the primary purpose of the monitors as the stages, or bar corners, are small enough where you can clearly hear the other instruments.

Not junk, but not in the same class IMO. There's really quite a biog difference.

If you think they will do it for you, give it a try. I don't think I would be happy in the long run, especially compared with slightly up the food chain. Above the PRX's, it's a BIG jump in cost BTW, the PRX is the top of the plateau.

• Members
The advantage to owning 3 PRXs would be in the event one of them quit working you would have a spare.

That's a good point. And with the mixer the rest of the monitors could just be strung together with what everyone else has got. In the back of my head there is a singer I want to work with. If I ever played with him he'd sing 95% of the stuff and I'd have no problem letting him use the PRX. He may even have PA stuff, I don't know.

But, remind me not to come here when I'm looking to purchase my next vehicle. Why settle for a Chevy when you can get a Rolls Royce.
:cool:

• Members

I've posted before regarding the NX25P's for monitors. One of my main bands has a singer that is very picky. I've tried a Yorkville E10P, a Yorkville YX15P, a Yorkville NX55P, a Yorkville elite E12, a Yorkville E160P an EV SXa250, and a Mackie 450.

Out of all those he only liked the EV and the Yorkville NX25P - and I basically agree with that assessment. Although I recently used two Mackie 450's for my vocals and was pretty happy.

Anyway if you're not going to get another PRX (for redundancy) then you might try and test drive an Nx25P. Just used it last week-end and it was as loud as I would ever want a monitor (for medium bar gigs).

• Members

I've posted before regarding the NX25P's for monitors. One of my main bands has a singer that is very picky. I've tried a Yorkville E10P, a Yorkville YX15P, a Yorkville NX55P, a Yorkville elite E12, a Yorkville E160P an EV SXa250, and a Mackie 450.

Out of all those he only liked the EV and the Yorkville NX25P - and I basically agree with that assessment. Although I recently used two Mackie 450's for
my
vocals and was pretty happy.

Anyway if you're not going to get another PRX (for redundancy) then you might try and test drive an Nx25P. Just used it last week-end and it was as loud as I would ever want a monitor (for medium bar gigs).

I hope Yorkville eventually changes the horn in the E10P. In every other respect, that little box kicks serious ass.

Al

• Members

sickman, in the last 2 & half years these are the speakers I have owned or played in a band that used these speakers NX55, JBL g215, Mackie 450, Yamaha Ms 400, Behringer b212a. And the Selenium SPM 1202 at which I have now. One of the bands I'm currently playing in just purchased the QSC K2 12 and the keyboard player just bought 2 Wharfedale Titan 12", which I will post about later with the Proel Flash 15 SP. This Past summer I was at a audio show where they were displaying the new EON and the PRX 512m side by side. The guy was saying how good the EON sounded but for me there was know comparison, the PRX was heads above the EON from all of the speakers that I have heard. The speakers in that price range, really stand out, but for the price I think the Titan's are amazing and would do what you need. Well, I have to go to practice now, but maybe later tonight I'll give a review on the Titans' and the Proels'..

'

• Members

I hope Yorkville eventually changes the horn in the E10P. In every other respect, that little box kicks serious ass.

Al

Yea they kind of dropped the ball there - close, but no cigar. Kind of like when Yorkville came out with their "mini" mixer the M8. Great concept but I believe the lack of reverb/FX killed it. Another case of so close, but still so far away.

Al, maybe Yorkville will come to you first before they do a HC 2.0 again:)

• Members

sickman, in the last 2 & half years these are the speakers I have owned or played in a band that used these speakers NX55, JBL g215, Mackie 450, Yamaha Ms 400, Behringer b212a. And the Selenium SPM 1202 at which I have now. One of the bands I'm currently playing in just purchased the QSC K2 12 and the keyboard player just bought 2 Wharfedale Titan 12", which I will post about later with the Proel Flash 15 SP. This Past summer I was at a audio show where they were displaying the new EON and the PRX 512m side by side. The guy was saying how good the EON sounded but for me there was know comparison, the PRX was heads above the EON from all of the speakers that I have heard. The speakers in that price range, really stand out, but for the price I think the Titan's are amazing and would do what you need. Well, I have to go to practice now, but maybe later tonight I'll give a review on the Titans' and the Proels'..

'

I would love to hear somebody else's opinion of the Titans. Seems very few people have had the chance to hear them. Doesn't seem to be too many dealers... Are you using the powered version or the passive? I don't think I've heard the passive, but can't say enough about the powered version.

Al :)

• Members

I think you guys have talked me into another PRX. :facepalm: I like the idea of having a backup and my plans within the next year are to (1) possibly do some solo acoustic type stuff just to get out there and get more comfortable singing in public and (2) hopefully start a side project playing more modern rock than the geezer rock band I'm in is doing.

With the geezer rock band we are using Yamaha mains and Carvin monitors, so if they decide they want to use the PRX 512s for FOH then we can still use the Carvin monitors.

For the solo stuff I'll use two of PRX for FOH and one for a monitor, although I think I could probably get away with one PRX for FOH and one for monitor.

If I ever get the side project going I'll let the singer use the PRX for his monitor -- there's a guy I have in mind who is one hell of a singer and the better he sounds the better the band would sound. He'd end up singing 95% of the material. At that point I'll probably buy some passive monitors for the rest of the band or let everyone fend for themselves and power the monitors with the mixer. This is probably when I'd get the subs, too... Hope all this stuff will fit in my SUV.

Anyways, I think it's a good plan. I need to start fooling around with the mixer because in the past I've just plugged a mic right into the PRXs.

• Members

Good choice. I would let the mixer go though. Buy a passive one and a few other PRX's, one at a time. You'll have a nice PA real quick.

I would add subs before replacing the mixer.

At this point, I also need to start collecting some quality mics instead of using "whatever is around".

Archived