Monitor Suggestions (Active)

• Members

Guys, if you have been following my posts I am in the process of putting together my first PA. I decided to go with JBL PRX stuff. So far I have purchased a pair of 512s and also a Carvin 16 channel powered mixer. Since the band I am playing with doesn't seem to want to use this stuff, I've decided a pair of monitors will be my next purchase. This way, if I happen to get a "side" project going I will atleast have enough equipment (PRXs, mixer, mics, and now monitors) to play some places. The subs are still in the equation down the line.

I began looking at powered speakers that could serve as monitors and have basically limited it to these four speakers.

Yorkville NX25P - $475 new, 12

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

PRX-512M. Fantastic monitor.

This would only work if 1 monitor would be enough for a 4 piece band with 2-3 people singing. Do you think one PRX 512 would be suitable for a 4 piece band with multiple singers as a monitor? Buying two more PRXs sounds nice, but anyway I wrap my finger around it it makes no sense from a financial perspective.

• Members

I remember reading that, but wasn't sure if it was the SRM450s.

Do you think there makes a difference between 10" and 12" speakers? I.e. will a 12" disburse the music further?? Then again anytime someone really needs a monitor they will be on the mic so the monitor would be right there.

I have some older 450s. I like them a lot as mains. Lots of good, clear sound. On the floor they overheat every time. I would think the 350s would sound fine as monitors. No idea if they have the same problem or not.

• Members

We use Mackie 450's at monitors off and on and have NEVER had a thermal problem. Seems hit or miss to me (maybe some bad production runs?).

Version 1 or 2? How long do you play? It usually takes a few hours before mine shut down.

• Members

This would only work if 1 monitor would be enough for a 4 piece band with 2-3 people singing. Do you think one PRX 512 would be suitable for a 4 piece band with multiple singers as a monitor? Buying two more PRXs sounds nice, but anyway I wrap my finger around it it makes no sense from a financial perspective.

The K series from QSC is also good, but maybe your budget is unrealistic for good quality monitors. Do you really want to buy junk? That's what you are going to end up with if you try to buy 2+ powered wedges with $700 IME.

• Members

The K series from QSC is also good, but maybe your budget is unrealistic for good quality monitors. Do you really want to buy junk? That's what you are going to end up with if you try to buy 2+ powered wedges with $700 IME.

He said $800 - 900. Are you saying NX25Ps are junk? I've never heard that before.

• Members

You don't think I could get a pair of active monitors for $800-900? Are the Yorkville, Mackie, and JBL speakers I listed junk? I thought they are atleast the upper end of the weekend warrior/neighborhood bar type gigs I play. I don't want to buy junk, but I don't want to buy something that really doesn't make sense for $50-150 per man gigs where it will take me 4-5 years to break even.

90% of the time vocals would be the primary purpose of the monitors as the stages, or bar corners, are small enough where you can clearly hear the other instruments.

• Members

Can you guess which one I will recommend?

It weighs under 30lbs, has the most flexible mixer section, has higher output capability than your other three choices and has excellent clarity, especially in the vocal range. (see my avatar if you need another hint)

Only thing I'm not sure of is it's angle when used as a monitor since I haven't tried it as such. The K10 and PRX will sound better, but cost nearly twice as much. In its price range, the Titan 12 is tough to beat. NX25P is excellent also but weighs nearly twice as much and won't get quite as loud.

Al

• Members

We use Mackie 450's at monitors off and on and have NEVER had a thermal problem. Seems hit or miss to me (maybe some bad production runs?).

I have some 450s .. never a problem , but then I havent subjected them to extreme outdoor heat ,, and i dont push them hard. I use them in my practice room.... good sounding speaker.. and the price was right. They were blow outs to make room for the new models.

I think the thermal issues no doubt are from guys running them out in the extreme heat in the sun and pushing the hell out of them. the machine has not been made that man cannot break.

• Members

I think the thermal issues no doubt are from guys running them out in the extreme heat in the sun and pushing the hell out of them. the machine has not been made that man cannot break.

Indoors, monitors for a karaoke show. On stands we push them hard all night with the band. On the floor, it doesn't take much.

• Members

I wouldn't consider any of his four choices junk. They're all actually pretty decent IMO - especially for his first PA. There are definitely better choices out there for more $$$, but he could certainly do worse. A PRX 12 is not a bad idea either is he already has some and likes their sound.

TO the OP : is there any way you can try or audition any of these speakers? I recommended the Titan because I love its sound and features for my applications, but have not tried them for live sound. Trying them out for yourself is always the best idea...

Al

• Members
Indoors, monitors for a karaoke show. On stands we push them hard all night with the band. On the floor, it doesn't take much.

Where do you run the level control at on the 450? When my band use to use them for monitors we had the level at 12:00. We only had thermal issues one time when used as a monitor IIRC.

• Members

I hate em! Seems like after 60+ minutes of use, I'd get the thermal light going. Seems to be only when pushing them in the midrange. For example, as a drum monitor (on it's side still) I've never had issues.. mainly pushing vocals... Run guitar though it.. every time she goes down.

• Members

You don't think I could get a pair of active monitors for $800-900? Are the Yorkville, Mackie, and JBL speakers I listed junk? I thought they are atleast the upper end of the weekend warrior/neighborhood bar type gigs I play. I don't want to buy junk, but I don't want to buy something that really doesn't make sense for $50-150 per man gigs where it will take me 4-5 years to break even.

90% of the time vocals would be the primary purpose of the monitors as the stages, or bar corners, are small enough where you can clearly hear the other instruments.

My guess is: In the neighborhood bar scene, you can get by fine with less than a PRX 512 for monitors.

Agedhorse/Craigv, is something like the NX25P really not worth it?

• Members

I wouldn't consider any of his four choices junk. They're all actually pretty decent IMO - especially for his first PA. There are definitely better choices out there for more $$$, but he could certainly do worse. A PRX 12 is not a bad idea either is he already has some and likes their sound.

TO the OP : is there any way you can try or audition any of these speakers? I recommended the Titan because I love its sound and features for my applications, but have not tried them for live sound. Trying them out for yourself is always the best idea...

Al

No offense Al but even a cheap POS speaker can usually sound Good with PRE-RECORDED music. For band use not so much.

• Members

Same as others.. NEVER had in issue in an upright application... Always while in the monitor form... and always indoors.. winter time etc..

Not near clipping or anything like that either. Just not great for most monitor situations.

Archived