Any bar bands out there still gigging? How about rehearsals?

Kramerguy

• Members

My band started rehearsals during the summer after the initial 'wave' of the pandemic simmered down.  We're on hiatus again since this 2nd / 3rd surge doesn't seem to be slowing down :( I miss rehearsals the most.

We haven't gigged since just before Covid hit back in February.  I guess the silver lining is that we've consistently added new songs and since we don't rehearse together as much, everyone has been extra prepared and we've replaced nearly our entire set list with all new material.

How are you guys faring?

• Members

We are a duo, and our last gig was March 17.

We're learning new songs, re-arranging and polishing some older ones, and gigging in our living room twice a week to the birds and squirrels in our back yard.

We are not in a hurry to get back to gigging. There is no Ctrl+Z or Cmd+Z if we catch COVID, and since 1/3 of the people who recover have long lasting, perhaps permanent damage to lungs, brain, kidneys, heart and/or other organs, we're happy to be safer at home until a vaccine or some other solution comes around.

As impatient as we are to get back to 'normal' life, in the great scheme of things and in a lifespan, one year is not that long.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

My 80's college rock band is gigging at our usual restaurant/bar about once per month since May.   Seating is a little less than before and the usually packed dance floor is cordoned off.  However, some do stand up and dance around their table.  Band is getting same pay as before Covid-19.  Played a private gig about three weeks ago that I was uneasy about but all band members are healthy.  Oddly, few in the crowd wore masks.  Cannot remember the month or year we last rehearsed.  We just learn cover songs on our own, perhaps do a run through backstage or during sound check, then let it rip.  My yacht rock band has not played since March, so we will need rehearsals to get back in the groove before performing.  Peace!

• Members

I did three gigs as a small act with tracks and it just wasn't the same with my 6 piece band. People couldn't dance so they left the last gig we did. It was embarrassing kind of but the owner didn't want to get fined.  Two members are adamant about being distanced at rehearsals and it caused tension so we scratched it.  These vaccines can't come soon enough.

• Members

The vaccines are coming. As tired as most of us are about it, it's not time to let our guard down.

A friend of mine (a fine guitarist) plays in a band that pitches themselves to a much younger market than we do. They did some gigs, 3 out of the 4 members got COVID. One of them died (he had a previous heart condition). My friend had a fever for a couple of weeks, didn't get tested, so I don't know if he had the flu or survived COVID.

Without your health, you have nothing. All the money in the world will just buy you a better headstone.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

My weekly gig fizzled out, American Legion crowd just got smaller and smaller til it wasn't feasable to keep it going. NYE cancelled. No biggie, I don't blame an older crowd for being careful. And I don't feel entitled to a living playing music- been pursuing daytime "gigs" as it is not possible for me to survive sitting at home. More power to those that can do that.

As far as gigs go it was a pretty safe one, big stage and a cavernous building. Even before the pandemic it was possible to have 10-20' between couples. I have 2 gigs booked in January with my old band, filling in for members who don't feel safe gigging. The stages are fine, space-wise, but the people out front don't always practice proper social distancing, unfortunately.   

• 2 months later...
  • Members

As of this writing there may be hope.  As a reference I live/gig on the border of MA/RI.

Indoor music in RI is slowly coming back as some local bands are playing.

MA is allowing music in restaurants but no wind instruments/singing:(

I am not sure of the audiences / attendance as we are staying clear until my wife/I are vaccinated (wife got #2 last week, I'm getting #2 on Friday).

A bright note: my classical trio recently booked six (6!!!) RI wedding ceremony/cocktail hour gigs in May.  We had nothing confirmed in the book a couple of months ago but MA/RI are easing the restrictions for weddings.....

For the past several years I limited our wedding work to six gigs per month (totally sick of dealing with brides) but we'll take as many as we can get at this time as we've been suffering from gig-withdrawl lol.  (lately it's been a "feeding frenzy" as brides are booking last-minute weddings and scrambling for music.)

...a gig is a gig 

• Members
10 hours ago, Mike M said:

As of this writing there may be hope.  As a reference I live/gig on the border of MA/RI.

Indoor music in RI is slowly coming back as some local bands are playing.

MA is allowing music in restaurants but no wind instruments/singing:(

I am not sure of the audiences / attendance as we are staying clear until my wife/I are vaccinated (wife got #2 last week, I'm getting #2 on Friday).

A bright note: my classical trio recently booked six (6!!!) RI wedding ceremony/cocktail hour gigs in May.  We had nothing confirmed in the book a couple of months ago but MA/RI are easing the restrictions for weddings.....

For the past several years I limited our wedding work to six gigs per month (totally sick of dealing with brides) but we'll take as many as we can get at this time as we've been suffering from gig-withdrawl lol.  (lately it's been a "feeding frenzy" as brides are booking last-minute weddings and scrambling for music.)

...a gig is a gig 

Ain't everyone. Might be the best day ever for the father of the bride.

If the bride likes your band good enough, tell her to keep you guys in mind for her next wedding. 

Good luck 

• 5 months later...