Electric Acoustic.....strings?

Dan Furr55

• Members

I have an electric acoustic that I love, its an epiphone hummingbird pro.

I play it through my amps or PA. Seldom, unplugged.

Would you put electric strings on it or acoustic?

I like Elixers that dont squeek, I hate that sqeeking noise.

How about you guys?

• Members

I use Martin or D'Addario strings. Since it's NOT a magnetic pickup, you don't need electric strings on an acoustic.

I hate squeaking too, but wouldn't use Elixer strings on mine or any other guitar. You want to avoid squeak? Move your fingers properly.

• Members

badpenguin pretty much covered it. Acoustic/electric guitars generally don't have magnetic pickups so bronze wound strings are fine. D'Addario Flat Tops will help with string squeak, as will something like Finger Ease, but it really comes down to technique.

• Members

If you're almost always playing amplified with a pickup, the finger squeak won't be getting amplified and will be getting masked by the sound coming from the amps. 

Most good online videos of acoustics will use one or more condenser mics, which pick up all of the beautiful sound of the top, and any finger noise.

I think whatever feels right to you will work. I don't think there'll be a huge difference in tone unless you change gauge.

• Members
4 hours ago, mrbrown49 said:

Why not the same on both? 

I prefer the extra sssshhhhiiiinnngggg that you get with uncoated strings for recording or just playing unplugged. I prefer the robustness of the coated for stage situations - more hand sweat, less washing hands, high humidity - all are factors. Plus I love the feel of them. 

Archived