Tips - question

OneManBlues

• Members

It’s been about 12 years since I did live shows.  I am now planning to start doing gigs once the corona virus BS settles down.  Tips and CD/DVD sales were always an important part of the gig revenue. 

i am assuming that being set up to receive electronic tips is going to be the way to go for people who don’t carry cash around.  I would have a tip jar and then a sign with how to tip using a smart phone. 

i have a paypal account but haven’t used it for years.  I also have Zelle attached to my bank account. 

I am wondering how some of you deal with this.  Do people still give cash tips?  Do you post a link.for electronic tipping next to your tip jar?

Thanks for any input. 

• Members
11 hours ago, Bob Dey said:

Still doing the old tip jar for cash.

I don't know but I suspect trying to set up an on-line tip thing would be more trouble than it would be worth. I like the real time, in the moment tip jar method also.

• Members
10 hours ago, ggm1960 said:

I don't know but I suspect trying to set up an on-line tip thing would be more trouble than it would be worth. I like the real time, in the moment tip jar method also.

I am still planning to have a cash tip jar but thought a sign on, or near it with an online instant tipping info might get extra in-the-moment tips also.  Even if it averages out to be $10 to $20 per gig, then it would be over a thousand extra dollars per year depending on the number of gigs. 

The other thing is that there are some people out there with plenty of cash who enjoy supporting live music.  They are the ones who might occasionally throw a hundred or a fifty in a tip jar.  I am thinking that would occasionally happen with an electronic tip option also.  

However, I haven’t been playing live gigs for about a dozen years so I am only guessing.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
On 6/17/2020 at 6:52 PM, OneManBlues said:

I am still planning to have a cash tip jar but thought a sign on, or near it with an online instant tipping info might get extra in-the-moment tips also.  Even if it averages out to be $10 to $20 per gig, then it would be over a thousand extra dollars per year depending on the number of gigs. 

The other thing is that there are some people out there with plenty of cash who enjoy supporting live music.  They are the ones who might occasionally throw a hundred or a fifty in a tip jar.  I am thinking that would occasionally happen with an electronic tip option also.  

However, I haven’t been playing live gigs for about a dozen years so I am only guessing.  

what stops you from trying it?  if the chance of someone elect dropping 100, or 50...   or 5 here, 20 there is worth the time?   might be, im curious, now...

• Members
50 minutes ago, daddymack said:

possibly a pandemic?:wave:

50 minutes ago, daddymack said:

possibly a pandemic?:wave:

:wave:

riiiight...   several solo acts i knoe are working online... with virtual tip jars...  making a little cash.    mebbe there are a few intrepid folks knows hows ta do dis internets stuff and those that dont...   no need to be overtly flippant... is there? 

• Members

I've done facebook live a few times and posted single videos of songs with a paypal.me account starting the end of May. I've collected a decent amount from my friends that usually come out to my gigs. Since they cant see me in person, this is the next best thing. There was a few that were real generous with their tips because they know the situation I'm in. They understand what musicians are going through.

During the facebook live streams, I watch the song requests they post, and play them just as I do when I'm playing out. Acknowledge them and tell them I miss playing for them at the venues. Tips have been pretty good, and my groupies can get their "Jay Fix" from home. I've been doing it every other week for 60-90 minutes. Dont want to over do it. Seems like the same ones tip each time just like they do at the gig.

This might have to do till larger venues re-open.

• Members
9 hours ago, daddymack said:

this from the prince of the ridiculous response?:wave:

rediculous response?    this is a personal attack...       of course it will be ok, cause youre a moderator...   how about you cool your jets on me mister, now....  

• Members

whats the deal daddy-o?   i thought mids were supposed to defuse things not start things!   live and learn i guess, huh?   

perfectly valid responses...  every one.   find a pipe, stuff that in it, enjoy...  

• Members

no matter what i do, you slight it...  thats cool...     your comments come across as condescending and acidic...  my favorite was, “ oh, you can play the altruism card” when i spoke of running the animal shelter...   its gone downhill steadily from there...   but do keep it up, im just getting started...  

Archived