Ovation Viper E Series 5 numbers

• Moderators

loosen the strings, then loosen the 2 bridge bolts ...that plastic cover is a PITA strictly there to cover a bad design issue [you will see it when it comes off], if it doesn't come out then, hit it with a blow dryer [no, seriously...sometimes they just get gunk-stuck. I worked on a Viper about ...ooh, 6 years ago, and the faceplate was a beeyotch to remove...so...good luck!

• Moderators
16 hours ago, daddymack said:

loosen the strings, then loosen the 2 bridge bolts ...that plastic cover is a PITA strictly there to cover a bad design issue [you will see it when it comes off], if it doesn't come out then, hit it with a blow dryer [no, seriously...sometimes they just get gunk-stuck. I worked on a Viper about ...ooh, 6 years ago, and the faceplate was a beeyotch to remove...so...good luck!

So, what's the design issue? (For the rest of us who don't have a Viper to open up to find out.)

• Moderators

the way the bridge is installed is, well, IMHO, funky looking.....there is a bolt through the back of the guitar that apparently holds the bridge in place...When I got the plastic cover off, I was :idk: 'why would you do that?' I didn't need to mess with the bridge on that job, so I didn't get any deeper into it, but it just seemed wrong...

They had the same bridge on the Breadwinner, but the BW has a rear plate that may cover that bolt, I don't know as I never pulled that plate off of the two I have serviced; There is a very similar model to the Viper, the double cutaway Preacher, that has the same rear bolt, but rear mounted pots.

They also, according to the owners manual, bolted and glued the neck...fortunately, I did not have to deal with the neck on any of the ones I serviced.

vv50k4ggpok1xmq4cwpy.jpg

• Members

Tks to all. From what I'm told, the two bridge bolts on the front bridge will release the cover? The POT side of the pickguard comes up Greeley. I ran an index card under it and it comes off the body. It is sticking to the body on the left side going closer the the neck, so should use the hair dryer carefully. The POT side lifted up freely and I can see some dirt funk. My concern is I want to check all the solder connections before I plug this in since it has been sitting for some time.

14 hours ago, Guitar Finder said:

Also wondering, is the spring clip that is placed on the rear saddle bolt that has a ground wire on it a factory clip. It is rusted and I will have to replace it.

I believe it is - it's just a way of holding the ground wire to the bolt. 

• Moderators

to be fair, I have not pulled one of those bridges, but there is that wacky bolt I mentioned. I'm sorry Phil, though, that is likely not OEM....looks like a paper clip!

The pickups, I'm glad I remembered that about that beast...glad you got her opened up!:thu:

They are interesting guitars; IIRC the p-ups are clear and punchy, but not very loud.  I don't recall what they read out as when I tested them, but it was lower than I expected. Those pots likely need a good cleaning, too, btw....

• Members

The spring sqeezed open easily, got I soaking in oil. It can be saved. However I am wondering if I can get new springs for the pickups. I have not dealt with guitars for at least 15 years so my reasearching is not fresh. Also would like to replace the rubber screen bases on the pickups. Any info would be greatly welcomed.

On 4/9/2020 at 6:09 AM, daddymack said:

I'm sorry Phil, though, that is likely not OEM....looks like a paper clip!

I'm sorry, but I disagree - it looks like a spring clip to me that's intended to serve as a solder point while holding fast to the bolt. YMMV.

Edit - I see that issue has already been addressed. :o  

The springs should be easy to find... the rubber parts may prove to be more difficult - you might have to self-fabricate something to serve as a workable replacement. 

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

I'm sorry, but I disagree - it looks like a spring clip to me that's intended to serve as a solder point while holding fast to the bolt. YMMV.

Edit - I see that issue has already been addressed. :o  

The springs should be easy to find... the rubber parts may prove to be more difficult - you might have to self-fabricate something to serve as a workable replacement. 

Hey, when I'm wrong, I admit it! And I apologize!:wave:

Fortunately, it doesn't happen often...😉

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived