A good one from PSW

• Members

Seriously!? Sounds like the article writer knows better than any of the veterans here. Sheesh!!!!! Let's all try that omni mic placement trick on the guitar amps so that they can all sound that way. Please

:facepalm::blah::blah::blah:

• CMS Author

I like the part where you should put the drummer in a plexi cage - complete with lid
:eek:
. I suppose if you tell him there is only enough air in there to survive through the set if he doesn't speed up or hit hard it might help?
:lol:

I wasn't aware that drummers are aerobic creatures. Thanks for filling me in on this.

*rushes home to get stored drummer out of "Space Bag".

• CMS Author

another groaner
http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/29427/0/0/0/

although actual correct info does emerge on page 2 it is ridiculed and dismissed at least at first.

The Old Boys Club 'tude is strong onver there. I recall how many were supporting Matt when he blew those U's to hell. They poo-poo'd me and the moderator was PM'ing me. Eventually a few of the old guard came around, sniffed my butt, and saw I was no threat, and begrudgingly agreed he used too much power.

The whole thing was ridiculous and I think I haven't posted there since.

• Members

i'm registered over there but i think i have like 5 posts. and they make fun of HC as the kiddie table. we do have more beginners able to post on a regular basis but i think its because we got rid of all the bullies who used to squash thought over here.

we did have a few bullies. surprising how calm it us around here without all that stupidity; we actually spend time talking points rather than defending and pissing about.

• Members

Seriously!? Sounds like the article writer knows better than any of the veterans here. Sheesh!!!!! Let's all try that omni mic placement trick on the guitar amps so that they can all sound that way. Please

:facepalm::blah:
:blah:
:blah:

I thought the author was a noob until I read at the very end that he's the guy who runs Syn-Aud-Con. IOW, he charges money to train people how to run sound in churches. :eek:

I like browsing the LAB section to see how some of the big boys do things, but some of the HOW section has gotten pretty bad. Everything's V-Drums, SAC, and how to throw gear at problems of people doing things wrong.

-Dan.

• Members

The article was a little scary, but I also believe that he doesn't explain himself very well.

When he said keep the monitors at maximum (stick to it) he actually should have said, find your maximum, turn it down and then never exceed your maximum. But I can just see everyone maxing out their monitors and "sticking to it"!

Anyway I did like the just say no line...

A key word in the vocabulary of a good sound operator is

• Members

I have been a regular posting member of PSW longer than I have here. There I said it.....

The issue is that PSW was once a great place for serious providers that work at much higher level than MOST (not all) of us here. But with popularity comes the signal-to-noise issues of web sites. The collective knowledge there has been lowered because many of the original brain trust have decided to discontinue visiting there. Many of the best/smartest/etc have quit and that caused others to quit. It is not the same site it was 5 years ago when Dave Stevens ran it with an iron fist. Back then, if you said something, you BETTER be able to prove it, or they would publicly humiliate you. There was no BS because it wasn't tolerated. It wasn't friendly there, but it was factual, concise, and accurate without any doubt. As the newbs started to come in and that knowledge base dwindled, it became more of the scene of an accident with all the drive-by's asking beginner questions and leaving, or worse, staying and posting what they thought was fact, when they were wrong. Anyway, you can see where this is going....

I like PSW. It is not the place I joined around 2000. The facts are less factual, and the knowledge is less accurate from most (not all.) There are still some heavy hitters, some real pro's, some touring guys that have been around the block more than once, but now there are too many wanna be's trying to get their first waltz at the party (how do I get on a tour? how do I make a career of this?) I still go there every day, but I now temper my reading by who-said-what standards. I have to KNOW the author and his credentials before I accept any of it as fact....and that is getting harder to do by the day.

Stuart

• Members

I read PSW daily and consider it quite the resource, but, yes, the expertise seems to be somewhat watered down lately. I Do not post anymore because I made the mistake of posting in a thread that the policy of "real names only" was capricious, unenforceable, and silly. The resident Gestapo then locked my account and demanded a copy of driver's license before he would let me back. I may or may not have created other users IDs later....:p

That said, in the upper echelons of the forums, there are some folks who are on the cutting edge of the craft of pro sound. Sometimes, the ideas they put out seem exotic and off the wall, but may have some merit we do not see. While the ideas quoted in the OP seem off the wall, I am curious what would happen if some of us tried the idea for ourselves..might be surprised. Tom Danley is a regular there and some of his ideas look and seem off the wall until you power them up and stand there slack-jawed with your pants flapping and hair laid flat by one of his boxes.

Oh, yes, if Mac Kerr asks for a copy of your driver's license on PSW, he is not fooled by your name photoshopped onto McLovin's ID. Just though you should know....:thu:

• Members

I have no problems posting on any site using my real name, every forum I belong to I use my real name.

If that is the rule on there forum and you don't like it, don't post.....pretty simple.

I have no problems with what goes on over at PSW or here, there will always be people that know the right way to do things......and then there are people that really know the right way to do things.

Once you figure out who the players are it's all good.

You can never get enough knowledge, so the more resources you have available the more you can learn.......and the more money you can spend!

• Members

You can never get enough knowledge, so the more resources you have available the more you can learn.......and the more money you can spend!

You just need to know what resources are correct. For someone that mostly tinkers in SR, like myself, its a lot harder to find the line between factual and not quite factual. And we can be led down a road, right or wrong, very quickly.

• Members

I think it should be noted that there's a difference between the forum and the editorial content. The link in the OP is an article written by a guest author.

While the ideas quoted in the OP seem off the wall, I am curious what would happen if some of us tried the idea for ourselves..might be surprised.

Putting an omni on a guitar cab is nothing revolutionary, but it won't help anything except reduce proximity effect. It will increase the potential for unwanted bleed & stage wash, particularly if the guitarist has a fairly quiet amp.

Using a cd to set the maximum monitor level from FOH is retarded. I'll say here what I said over there: cd's are very compressed and will much more easy to hear at low levels from FOH than would some source with a lot more dynamics - thus you'll wind up turning the monitors down pretty low. In a small room w/ no people (as is the environment in most churches during soundcheck when this test would be going on), the monitors would be nearly off.

Watching meters while "ignoring your ears and the pleas from the stage" is ridiculous. I can't imagine this guy lasting more than a couple days on a tour. Trying to manage your stage volume is great practice, but at some point you have to accept the fact that if you have wedges, it's going to affect the sound to some degree. If you don't want to hear wedges, get IEM's.

-Dan.

• Members

I think it should be noted that there's a difference between the forum and the editorial content. The link in the OP is an article written by a guest author.

-Dan.

True- I remember a thread here a couple of months ago about another ridiculous editorial article on PSW, but somebody found it and it got pulled:

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/529103/21432/#msg_529103

That thread indicates there's no editorial oversight over PSW articles...

• CMS Author

I have no problems posting on any site using my real name, every forum I belong to I use my real name.

If that is the rule on there forum and you don't like it, don't post.....pretty simple.

I think dedmeet's point was that they have no way of knowing if the name you use is yours. If they don't suspect anything, they don't ask for proof. If they get uppity and demand a driver's license, that can be done very easily....who would you like to be today? He's correct, it's capricious, silly and eminently unenforceable.

It's a shame that PSW has lost talent. I tire of contention between websites that have no reason to be competitive. Both serve the needs of their users pretty well, IMO.

• Members

Agreed. I read and visit both sites, but usually save my questions for the more patient folks over here.

Some really major players hang out at PSW and some have even been nice enough to stoop down and give some advice to a weekend sound hack like me!

Archived