Floor Tom mic

• Members

So a while back on impulse I bought some cheapo drum mic kit made by Shure.

It sucks.

In fact the only thing that actually works for me are the mic clips.

I happen to have two spare SM 57s. So I was planning on using them and just tossing the Shure (or keeping it as back up).

For the floor tom, would you guys recommend any different mics other than just picking up another 57 and calling it good?

Thanks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

57 on floor tom is ok, not the best but it works. it is what i use in my kit right now as of this month, but i would normally use an e604. i prefer an atm25, but i dont own one.

hell, i've had decent results with a BG6.1. not awesome results; decent. the 57 does ok on floor tom, biggest issue it its' size. it also rolls off early but you get enough low freqs to make it work.

if you are not going for "super ultra rock floom toms" the 57 may be just your thing. as for me, i like "super mega ultra rock DOOOOOOMMMZZZZHHHH" floor tom :D

the e604 can do that :D 57 not so much.

• Members

A 57 is pretty stock and satisfactory. There are always "better" options, but you should be fine with that. Other mics that I've found to work well:

Sennheiser E604

Sennheiser E609

Sennheiser E906

EV ND308

EV ND468

EV PL35

Heil HMPro

Heil PR30 or 40

Sennheiser MD421

EV RE20

Beyerdynamic Opus 89

Audix D4

Audio Technica ATM25

Beyerdynamic M88

• Members

Thanks for all the options guys! I'll try some of these out to see what works best. I don't recall the floor tom's size but its pretty big and is tuned way too loose.

Though from advice on this site I'm going to be talking with the drummer, letting him know its time to crank down all the toms and let the sound guys provide the thump.

• Members

Well yeah, he actually tunes them well. But they sound good in one place... our rehearsal studio. nice and boomy (of course not mic'd) But when we play live they ring like garbo...

I want him to keep the same um... key? but tighter. I can't recall the name for it... like triads or something?

• Members

I have used that mic kit at alot of shows. If a kit is tuned properly they can definately produce very usable sounds. Definately better mics out there but the PG series can give good results with the right drummer/kit/sound man combination.

Most drums that sound bad through the P.A. start out sounding bad all by themselves.

• Members

I don't like microphones that are short in length on the floor tom (if they are clipped on the rim)

The capsule doesn't get near enough to the center of skin for my liking. Means that I don't get enough attack and too much low-freq warble

• Members

I have used that mic kit at alot of shows. If a kit is tuned properly they can definately produce very usable sounds. Definately better mics out there but the PG series can give good results with the right drummer/kit/sound man combination.

Most drums that sound bad through the P.A. start out sounding bad all by themselves.

Yep!

• Members

Well yeah, he actually tunes them well. But they sound good in one place... our rehearsal studio. nice and boomy (of course not mic'd) But when we play live they ring like garbo..?

A well tuned drum that sustains (excessively) long to one's taste is still a well tuned drum.

A drum that sounds ok in one location and sounds like crap when in an environment where it rings long is a drum that's been getting by because the room is masking the fact that it isn't tuned well.

• Members

I really like the mic kit that I got from audiopile. I have no idea what the model number is or if Mark still carries them. $180 with case for me was a no brainer.

I think I got his last set; he said he couldn't get parts anymore.:cry:

• Members

A well tuned drum that sustains (excessively) long to one's taste is still a well tuned drum.

A drum that sounds ok in one location and sounds like crap when in an environment where it rings long is a drum that's been getting by because the room is masking the fact that it isn't tuned well.

Agreed.

• Members

yeah, 421's are very pricey and take a lot of real estate on the kit, plus the clip is junk.

i have a 421 and just love it on mandolin or other fiddly things, flute, flugelhorn, banjo (not so much, but sometimes), hand drums, good mic with some issues.

• Members

The 421 is a great mic until it breaks (they are on the fragile side) and you find that the repair cost is close to that of the mic...

I buy all my mics for durability first and SQ second since it is a business and I can't afford to replace them regularly.

Archived