Floor Tom mic

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As i said before, there are better mics than the PGs for sure but I have heard much worse sounds from people that had much better equipment than I have even had a chance to use.

As a drummer, knowing how I would like drums to sound, I have made drums sound alot better using PG mics than I have heard some other people make drums sound with much much more expensive equipment.

IMO, Chances are if your drums sound like crap with PG mics, the mics are not your only problem.

• Members

IMO, Chances are if your drums sound like crap with PG mics, the mics are not your only problem.

I disagree. I've yet to hear a mic on a drum that sounded so awful.

Given a situation where PG mics where the only option, I wouldn't use them at all.

• Members

i've never heard a PG that i have found acceptable at anything. it even makes a poor talkback mic.

Someone hasn't seen to many Touring consoles...

I don't know how many times a PG58 (with swtich) has gone out with the Avid Profile; its even been the request mic to go.

• Members

Senn 421

TW

:thu: Agreed.

For about the same price as an SM57, you might try the Audix i5. They sound a lot like a 57 but with a bump around 80-100 hz. They work great for floor toms.

Someone mentioned the Beyer M88 (also a good choice).

Every PG mic I've ever used left me wanting something else. They are however built with Shure's legendary robustness, so 20 years from now they will still sound as bad as the day you bought them.

• Members

I'm sitting in my office doing microphone comparisons through my Mix Wizard and Shure SRH840 headphones......my mic case consists of a Beta 52, three beta 57's, one Beta 58, three Sennheiser 604's, two Sennheiser 609's, three SM 57's, one SM 58, one AT873, one PG 52, three PG 56, two PG 81's, one AKG D1000E, and a few others that I don't even know what they are. Yes there are differences in the sound of all of these microphones, but I don't understand the comments leaning towards the PG series microphones being useless. Before I got my 604's I used the PG 52/56 pak all of the time and got great drum sounds. Do I think the 604's are better?? Yes, I do like them better.....but I by no means think the PG's are paperweights. The clips for the 56's are super easy to use and pretty unbreakable, and the whole mic pak can be purchased for under $200 with cables. I think that's a pretty good value for people on a budget that are trying to get a starter package together.

• Members

Someone hasn't seen to many Touring consoles...

I don't know how many times a PG58 (with swtich) has gone out with the Avid Profile; its even been the request mic to go.

avid and PG, yeah that seems like a good match. maybe its just me, but i wouldnt piss on digidesign or avid if they were on fire.

• Members

Add me to the list of those who have had decent results out of the PG set. Don't get me wrong, these days I work with an Audix D series set most the time that is infinitely better. However, I did mix this same group with a different drummer for quite while, with PG series on the toms and and D6 in the kick. It was a very well tuned kit and the PG's on the toms sounded terrific.

I wouldn't ever request them or buy them myself, but I can make a good sounding kit sound fine in the PA with them.

• Members

I got Sennheiser e904's and threw the Shure PG's out the window.

I've been looking at the Sennheiser 900 series drum-kit mics (Drum Pack Pro II) Kit includes 1x e902, and 4x e904. I'd love to hear your impressions of these mics. Have you compared them to the e600 series drum-kit mics?

• Members

I thought the difference between the 604's & 904's was the 6's had a plastic housing where as the 9's have a metal housing, same guts.

I could be wrong but I went with durability over price.

I think they sound terrific, got them hooked up to a dbx 1074.

• Members

I thought the difference between the 604's & 904's was the 6's had a plastic housing where as the 9's have a metal housing, same guts.

I could be wrong but I went with durability over price.

I think they sound terrific, got them hooked up to a dbx 1074.

I'm on track to upgrade my PG56 (I use them on toms all the time) to e904's in October. I mixed a killer blues band that had e904's on the toms. That's when I knew I had to have 'em.

I have used 604's a few times and have always felt they seemed to pick up too much of the cymbals? I thought they sounded great though. Do the e904's do better with this? When I used the e904's it was on an all IEM blues band with hardly any stage volume.

• Members

I have a 7 piece, run D2's on the 8" and 10", D4 on the 12", and EV N/D468's on the 14" and 16".

Obviously if I had the money I'd run 421's for recording.

But, for a budget and live show...the D2/D4 sounds good. The EV 468's definitely have more snap, bottom end, and overall clarity...excellent for floor toms. I've tried 57's for all the toms and they sound horrible. Don't care how "tried and true" they are...I hate their sound compared to the Audix and definitely the EV's.

FYI - Gavin Harrison uses 468's live and his kit sounds unbelievable every time.

• Members

So real quick...

Just to clarify... if you had the first two toms miced with SM57s... and wanted to buy ONE mic for the floor tom. Would you keep the uniformity and go with another 57 or would you buy a e604?

Am I going to get a TOTALLY different sound that will make the floor tom sound like its from a different kit if I go with a 604?

• Members

Well I guess my point is... I'd rather buy another SM57 and call it good. But if the sound isn't going to change much but mixing the floor tom will be a bit easier with a 604 I would just spring for that. I don't want to buy a three pack.

Archived