Floor Tom mic

• Members

Well I guess my point is... I'd rather buy another SM57 and call it good. But if the sound isn't going to change much but mixing the floor tom will be a bit easier with a 604 I would just spring for that. I don't want to buy a three pack.

the biggest point is that you need to have a workable mic and the drummer needs to have a workable drumset. get some heads on those drums and tune them so that they sound good in any room, not just the practice space. At that point if you put a good mic on it and it still sounds bad then you know that your placement or something else is off.

you should be able to get a useable sound with a 57 and if you can't then the problem is not the mic.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

the biggest point is that you need to have a workable mic and the drummer needs to have a workable drumset. get some heads on those drums and tune them so that they sound good in any room, not just the practice space. At that point if you put a good mic on it and it still sounds bad then you know that your placement or something else is off.

you should be able to get a useable sound with a 57 and if you can't then the problem is not the mic.

I'm going to ask this with all sincerity. Does everyone agree that a properly tuned drumkit should have no problems with ringing? In other words, if I've tuned my kit perfectly there is no need for a gate or any other fix?

• Members

I'm going to ask this with all sincerity. Does everyone agree that a properly tuned drumkit should have no problems with ringing? In other words, if I've tuned my kit perfectly there is no need for a gate or any other fix?

I dont think I would agree with that. Drummers pay big money on kits that resonate more than cheap kits. For myself to get the tone/sound I like, my drums need to produce a fairly long decay. I still use gates to some degree at most shows.

I think it depends what you want drums to sound like. Everyone has a different idea of what sounds good. I've heard drums that the sound engineer thought sounded amazing, but to me sounded like a $200 drum kit with foam stuffed inside.

• Members

So real quick...

Just to clarify... if you had the first two toms miced with SM57s... and wanted to buy ONE mic for the floor tom. Would you keep the uniformity and go with another 57 or would you buy a e604?

Am I going to get a TOTALLY different sound that will make the floor tom sound like its from a different kit if I go with a 604?

No it won't sound like a tom from a totaly different kit. There is NO reason you shouldn't mix & match mics. If you think about it, each drum is a different instrument so why not pick a mic that works best for that instrument. I often see a different Fl tom mic than the rack toms. I usualy use matched overheads but I've often used a different hat mic or a different ride mic (if the show calls for it). Use the mic that sounds best (well - that's in your budget), period!

• Members

i would have a gate available for even the best sounding drum set. because the gate has more uses than just getting rid of unwanted ring. however when the drums sound good on their own you can do your job by "reinforcing" them instead of being stuck with damage control.

• Members

Ringing and resonance are two different things. A properly tuned drum kit shouldn't have a problem with ringing, no. Ringing happens when a drum head is unevenly tensioned, and/or combined with improper tension of the batter head in relation to the resonant head. As I define it, "ringing" is what's left after all the other (desirable) notes have been canceled by phase incoherence, due to uneven tension. "Resonance" is when all the notes line up correctly and sustain at a defined pitch; evenly tensioned.

As said though, gates aren't always used as a band-aid for ringing drums. I use them a lot to trigger other things.

Archived