Modding Whammy Bar~~

ksl

• Members

Hi all... Can the the threading on one of my whammy bars be machined from the 5 or 6mm it is now, to a Fender 10-32 threading? It's straight & black & I like its feel. I don't have the tools, so I'd have to bring or send it somewhere.
Many thanks, kenny

🕉

• Members

Go look for a machine shop that will get into the nitty gritty of of details and your needs.

Back in 2003, I worked at a cabinet shop at a large industrial complex. Lunch trucks would pull up and people from the other shops would come out. One man owned a metal shop. After talking to him, he agreed to make some grade 8 Floyd Rose parts for me. I haven't bought new nut clamps or Allen heads screws for my guitars since then. Look around and talk to some of the smaller metal shops in your area.

• Members

You may be able too if the current threads are much bigger than the fender size.  You need to remove the existing threads and then cut in new ones.  Screws thread dimensions have two diameters, major and minor.  The major diameter is to the outside of the thread and minor diameter is to the base of the thread.

A 10-32 thread has a major diameter of 0.190". You need to make sure the minor diameter of the existing threads is larger than 0.190.  

First step would be knowing exactly what you have by using a thread guage.  They usually have then free to use in the hardware section of the hardware store.  Then look up the minor diameter of that thread.

Next you'll have to get the tools or find someone to do it for you. It won t be cheap either way.

• Members

I'm with gardo. You can take it to a machine shop and have new threads cut with a die--or do it yourself if you're handy and have the tools--but the result will be smaller in diameter than it is now and it may not fit the hole. If you just prefer a straight bar, it would be easier to find one that fits and straighten it. A local music store should have an assortment of bars.

• Members
Well, it all worked out better than I ever could've thought. Look at this & say hello to my new little tool!! Now to rid myself of that upward bend. I think I'll leave that to some local machine shop, unless there's any tricks up any of your sleeves; a hole in a work bench......? I don't have a vise, unless I take it into Home Depot & test drive one of theirs?! see pics!
Thanks all for your collective smarts~
🕉

20191026_210451.jpg

20191026_211222.jpg

20191026_210725.jpg

20191026_210451.thumb.jpg.1dd49340337755534996535d10533b3b.jpg

20191026_211222.thumb.jpg.0bb2123466a001d7ec870a0ce8328386.jpg

20191026_210725.thumb.jpg.a736fb5933bb05896a076cf4191af7ee.jpg

• Members

Glad you got it threaded. If you do use a vise you should use soft jaws of some sort to avoid scarring the arm. A couple pieces of wood might work 

I’ll let you know if I come up with any ideas 

I removed the knob ,sawed it off then put it in a vise and slipped a small pipe over the end to bend mine. Pressed the knob back on and it’s just fine

image.thumb.jpg.86ea3fb1ce1e3654f6461d682b96e49b.jpg

Archived