Offensive Sound Reinforcement Ad

• Members

I'll admit to having a Mackie DFX12 for our practice studio and when needed for a live gig. It's ok, but....that vocal remover thing is unwanted and worthless, the "break" switch doesn't mute the monitors, which sort of defeats the whole idea of "one switch kills everything", and the only way to turn off the internal effects is to wire up the foot switch. Just seems like it wasn't all that well thought out. So far, no reliabilty issues though.

OTOH - My Yamaha B50-115 bass amp from 1976 is still going strong.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm no old timer. But I love my Yahama drums. I think it says more about a company if they can diversify and still make quality products no matter what they're building. Whether that be a speaker or a dirtbike. You can only lie for so long. Eventually reality shows up and you lose.

Nope. That is when the next generation of know it all noobs show up and notice how the previous generation used Mackie. The story keeps going. It

• Members

Not really an old timer either, but I do fulfill audio riders for a living. I can tell you that just about every rider I read these days have several Yamaha consoles right at the top of the list, followed by a couple of other manufacturers' boards, and finally ending in "ABSOLUTELY NO MACKIE CONSOLES!!!". This is why, if you look at our flagship stuff, you'll find - 1 PM4KM, 2 PM5D's, 2 M7CL's, 3 LS932's and 2 LS916's. And absolutely no Mackies.

Oh, and my Yamaha Maple Custom snare, and my Yamaha AV receiver both sound kick-ass too.

• Members

Yamaha CP70, what a great product! An accoustic piano you could move and not tune because it has bars, not strings! At least I think that is how it worked.

That would have been a Rhodes. The Yamaha CP70 and CP80 have strings. I still have my CP80 set up in a room just off the living room. It's my practice piano. Yamaha Electric Grands were revolutionary when they were new - and they're coming back into fashion with this vintage craze going on currently.

I have a Woodinville manufactured 1402 mixer that's still going strong. But Mackie was another company when that was made.

I don't know why they are comparing themselves to Yamaha. Behringer might be a bigger target - but I think that even Behringer has Mackie beat for reliability today.

• Members

Hey, it's an ad/marketing campaign.

Proof is in the pudding on (how/if) the gear actually works.

All that being said, however...the 'we make everything INCLUDING the kitchen sink' thing can be a bit off-putting...

Years ago I worked at one of the top stores for a big-box MI chain who did not carry any Yamaha gear purely because of a terms/conditions issue which had become a point of contention that both sides took emotionally....

This killed me because Yamaha drums, especially their top-end stuff, are phenomenal, and my customers were constantly asking about them.

The reason the chain wouldn't carry Yamaha drums was because Yamaha insisted that if you took one line of instruments, you had to take them ALL, and while we were fine with taking keyboards and PA gear, we didn't want their basses or guitars (no customer need). They drew the line and basically said 'no cherry picking'. So they had poor sales in several major markets where we were the big dog for a number of years...

...until they finally caved and allowed us to pick ONLY the product lines we wanted.

:thu:

• Members

Andy

With your experience, it's easy for you to see right through Mackies ad. However, from an ad perspective, it's a good attempt to drum up business. Of course, anyone who bothers to do any research will come to the proper conclusion of who makes better gear. Yamaha's diversity is in fact it's very strength. Instead of making a whole host of crappy products, it is a model for every manufacturer to follow.

Funny how in an election year, Mackie pulls out an ad that smells like a politico wrote it for them. "Vote for me, my opponent sucks"

TW

• Members

I was a Yamaha rep all through the 90's, and Mackie pissed us off no end. Where to start? When the 8 buss analog mixers came out every frikkin' two bit sound company jumped all over it. Many didn't survive the trip to the first gig, losing auxes,or even entire sections of the board.

Mackie was drumming up business for 3 {censored}ING YEARS on the D8b before it came to market, while we had been shipping O2Rs for two years already. The first NAMM it was a plywood D8b under plexiglass. The next year it was the same plywood mockup with flying faders, that were scavenged from an O2R, BTW. The third year there was a "working" prototype, and it was gonna ship in 90 days. Yeah, right.

Mackie is a marketing company practicing sales prevention, pure and simple.

• Members

Even more irony is that their jetskis, quads, crotchrockets, cruising bikes and golf carts are all extremely well-respected in
their
respective markets!

Yeah, but their Formula 1 efforts were super weak. And their computer optical drives were fair to middling, at their best.

Mackie, take note.

• Members

Lets look at the past 20 years of pro-audio for a minute...

Yamaha:

PM3K

PM4K

PM5D

PM5DRH

PM1

SPX2000

SPX1000

or we could go back 30, 40, 50+ years.

I seem to recall that Yahama started out as a piano manufacture... a hundred+ years ago.

I believe Yamaha is the world's largest producer of musical instruments.

I happen to have a Yamaha acoustic guitar... very nice instrument.

Also a couple SPX-90's, Rev 7, a pile of 2031 EQ's... all still viable pro pieces... some possibly approaching 30 years old and have been going strong for goodness knows how many thousand shows.

Also, I seem to recall hearing through the grapevine that Yamaha possibly was the driving force behind TAD (Technical Audio Devices) and is possibly the parent company for Nexo.

• Members

Andy,

Can I quote your original post in this thread?

I wouldn't quote it to your Mackie rep., he might not have the same sense of humor (or institutional memory) that some of us here do. You can always direct them to this thread.

What is ironic is that Mackie had probably the most potential of any of the companies that started up at that time. They had some brilliant folks working for them, excellent manufacturing and industrial design capabilities but sadly they lost touch with what was important in the competitive pro audio marketplace. Too focused on marketing and cool culture and not enough on reliability IMO.

Archived