Offensive Sound Reinforcement Ad

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The point of advertising is to sell. On this we all agree.

uh...

The point of advertising is to change the margin. A product will sell itself if it's viable... margin and volume can be manipulated by advertising. Actually... with enough advertising, even marginally viable, or possibly even completely non-viable products can enjoy a healthy margin and healthy sales volume (I believe that was Zappa's premise).

• Members

You originally stated, "
Isn't that the point
?" when Andy stated the ads were intentionally misleading.

Years ago... I'm of the impression that manufacture promoted via an image of a brave new world.

It's distressing to see a continuing trend toward mudslinging and taking pot-shots at scape goats. That strikes me as a sign of clutching at straws.

• Members

Having run a (local) advertising agency in a previous life, I can emphatically state that the point of advertising is not to lie or even stretch the truth (ever heard of "truth in advertising" - there have been many a lawsuit filed, claims made and cease and desist orders issued for "stretching the truth"). The only reason for advertising is to sell more of a product or service i.e. increase market share, plain and simple. How you get there is where the rubber meets the road. The ideal way to increase market share is to stake out a claim and be number one in that niche (vertical marketing 101 - find what you're good at and be the best at it). OR if you can't be number one, explain why you should be (ex. we're Avis, we try harder) which is what I think Mackie was trying to do with the Yamaha comparison. The whole premise falls apart when you can't back up to your claims - again, from the comments made here, also the case with Mackie. Marketing can be a boon to sales and it can also be the death of a company because if you can't live up to your advertising claims AND you do a good job of advertising, you simply are found out that much faster.

Stix

• Members

In South Africa, the following subsection appears in the Advertising Standards Legislation:

7.4 The guiding principle in all comparisons shall be that products and/or services should be promoted on their own merits and not on the demerits of competitive products.

• CMS Author

uh...

The point of advertising is to change the margin. A product will sell itself if it's viable... margin and volume can be manipulated by advertising. Actually... with enough advertising, even marginally viable, or possibly even completely non-viable products can enjoy a healthy margin and healthy sales volume (I believe that was Zappa's premise).

The margin won't change if cash isn't exchanged for goods and svcs. Which won't happen if nobody knows said goods and svcs exist. Which won't happen without really good word of mouth....or advertising.

All of which is more semantics, and further diverting from the issue of whether advertising must be misleading in order to be advertising.

• Members

I saw that article as well. It didn't get under my skin but I DO agree with what you say. The thing that botheres me is them speaking of their own experience of 20 years. When Greg Mackie first formed the company (right after designing all of the Tapco gear I believe), they DID make some "OK" sounding products that IMO were quite reliable. The most recent version of Mackie however is a whole different company. I agree that NOW their products are generally crap. It's a shame when people trade on a name only to sell their products. The same thing happened to Tapco. I recently had the displeasure of BRIEFLY owning a Tapco tweek EQ. What a POS!!! - I Gave it away for free (it would have been unfair to ask for money).

Yamaha Rocks. I have a friend who I'm still trying to get to sell me his PM1000. It has some minor water damage but works OK. I'm sure I can clean it up and it'll be good to go (although at 100lbs+ probably not too far :-).

• Members

Wait?!? Your Mackie has a button labeled "break" that breaks the mixer when you push it? You guys are wrong... Mackies DO work as advertised.

My experience with Mackie products is akin to this and its variants:

The Most Useless Machine

If you think about it. Both of the aformentioned machines are environmentaly friendly (shutting yourself off really saves on the power bill ;))

• Members

Using the 1k in it's entirity for any specific purpose or just parts?

I'd just use it as parts. I'd probably use some of the channels as the front end for my DAW.

My buddy has two PM1ks one works OK but needs to be cleaned up and the other has an intermittent PS problem. His problem is he NEVER sells anything and they are buried under a ton of other unused gear in the far corner of his wharehouse. He was my old business partner in the 80s so I know these boards well. He is a gear collector from hell (and my friend so I can say that :-). He has an 02R96 that he's only turned on 3 or 4 times (I told him I'd give him $100 and get it out of his way but he said no :-()

• Members

I saw that article as well. It didn't get under my skin but I DO agree with what you say. The thing that botheres me is them speaking of their own experience of 20 years. When Greg Mackie first formed the company (right after designing all of the Tapco gear I believe), they DID make some "OK" sounding products that IMO were quite reliable. The most recent version of Mackie however is a whole different company. I agree that NOW their products are generally crap. It's a shame when people trade on a name only to sell their products. The same thing happened to Tapco. I recently had the displeasure of BRIEFLY owning a Tapco tweek EQ. What a POS!!! - I Gave it away for free (it would have been unfair to ask for money).

Yamaha Rocks. I have a friend who I'm still trying to get to sell me his PM1000. It has some minor water damage but works OK. I'm sure I can clean it up and it'll be good to go (although at 100lbs+ probably not too far :-).

PM Sent.

-Dan.

• Members

I have some sound workshop channel strips you can just have as a front end for a DAW if you are interested. Just taking up space. You could take the preamp and 3 band all sweep eq modules out and make your own 8 channel rack mount chassis if that interests you. I even have the docs.

• Members

Hell I wish yamaha made referigerators, furnaces, televisions and just about everything else.

I laugh hardest at the guitar snobs who are just HUNG on the idea that somehow companies like Gibson, Fender, Gretsch etc. have some "magic powder" that makes their guitars somehow better than a company like yamaha can build.

I own 4 yamaha guitars currently and would put them head to head against even the very BEST that Gibson and Fender have to offer without a second's hesitation.

Yamaha will be around long after folks have forgotten the names of companies like Mackie.

I'll take an opposing viewpoint on the guitars/instruments. Just like any instrument, they're very individual and very personal. Even within the Gibson, Fender, Gretsch, Yamaha etc line, there will be different instruments that speak to a given person. Not better, just different. They ARE constructed differently and gives different feel and sound than another.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program! :)

• Members

I have some sound workshop channel strips you can just have as a front end for a DAW if you are interested. Just taking up space. You could take the preamp and 3 band all sweep eq modules out and make your own 8 channel rack mount chassis if that interests you. I even have the docs.

if he does not want those i would be very interested.

• Members

I must say that in running low end sound gigs for over 15 years that I've never had a problem with a piece of Mackie equipment. I've used a LOT of their mixers (1604 VLZ's the most), and own one myself along with a 1402. Again, these are all entry level events.

As I'm expanding my gear and looking to step things up a notch, I'm looking at something with more channels than my 1604 VLZ has. So what brand will I be looking at? Not Mackie! Hey, just because it hasn't happened to me yet doesn't mean the previous experience is not valuable.

It's a bit unnerving to use a ticking time bomb for a mixer......

• Members

I must say that in running low end sound gigs for over 15 years that I've never had a problem with a piece of Mackie equipment. I've used a LOT of their mixers (1604 VLZ's the most), and own one myself along with a 1402. Again, these are all entry level events.

As I'm expanding my gear and looking to step things up a notch, I'm looking at something with more channels than my 1604 VLZ has. So what brand will I be looking at? Not Mackie! Hey, just because it hasn't happened to me yet doesn't mean the previous experience is not valuable.

It's a bit unnerving to use a ticking time bomb for a mixer......

If you don't need more than 4 switchable aux busses, I've got a real upgrade for sale...

• Members

I was really hoping for 6 true aux channels but won't rule anything out. My first thought was a 24 channel A&H but I haven't really look at too many others. Soundcraft seems to get recommendations here as well. But that purchase won't be until I can sustain a need for it.

• Members

I was really hoping for 6 true aux channels but won't rule anything out. My first thought was a 24 channel A&H but I haven't really look at too many others. Soundcraft seems to get recommendations here as well. But that purchase won't be until I can sustain a need for it.

32 channel pro yamaha?

Archived