Tube Amp Question:

• Members

Maybe this goes too far off topic... but...

Why do they match up a 100W head with a 300W cab? Is that efficient?

Some players like to use two heads and one cab. With that cab that is doable and allows for a wider tonal range. Also allows for use of true stereo effects. Using two heads with the cab would then be a 100W head into 150W of speakers.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

First off let me say that have no experience with guitar amps other than putting a mic in front of one. I've read this thread trying to learn something. When looking at the pics of the 1960b cab I started to try and think it thru. Its a 4x 12 cab loaded with 4 16 ohm drivers.I sumized that the switch just decides if you want to feed it 4 speakers or 2 sets of 2 speakers.

They use the term 'stereo' even though it would actually be dual mono. The question I have is with the inputs on the cab. Is the output on the amp switchable or does it offer 2 seperate outputs. Sorry about the punctuation but my keyboard is giving me trouble. Theres an old expression .....give a man a fish feed him for a day.....teach a man to fish feed him for a lifetime......teach me to fish fellas

• Members

First off let me say that have no experience with guitar amps other than putting a mic in front of one. I've read this thread trying to learn something. When looking at the pics of the 1960b cab I started to try and think it thru. Its a 4x 12 cab loaded with 4 16 ohm drivers.I sumized that the switch just decides if you want to feed it 4 speakers or 2 sets of 2 speakers.

Yes.

They use the term 'stereo' even though it would actually be dual mono.

Sort of....the left side is one pair and the right side is the other pair. This is very useful for guys who either want to run two amps into one cabinet (dual mono) or run stereo FX with two power amps (stereo).

Is the output on the amp switchable or does it offer 2 seperate outputs.

It appears that the output jack on the left is a single, direct connection to the 16 Ohm tap on the output transformer. The middle and right jacks appear to be paralleled and connected through a switch that selects the 4 or 8 Ohm tap.

Make sense?

• Members

... and you'd typically use the two paralleled jacks when using two 16 ohm cabs with the switch on the amp set to 8 ohm or with two 8 ohm cabs with the switch set to 4 ohm... or with a single 4 or 8 ohm cab on just one jack and the switch set accordingly.

That Marshall input plate switch is also wired so that with the mono switch setting one jack provides the parallel wiring of the four speakers (16 ohm x 4 paralleled = 4 ohm) and the other provides the series/parallel wiring (2 x 16 ohm paralleled pairs (8 ohm each) run in series = 16 ohm)... pretty clever. Clever enough that that loaded switch plate is $40 to replace.

• Members

Not to complicate things, but in that case... an additional safe setting would be to run the amp into just half of the cab to get a little more speaker cone breakup going on... another tone flavor that some people like, some don't.

This has been a terrible thread! But it gives me a good chance to ask a question I've wondered about for a while.

Given that not all cabs are isolated into two chambers inside (none of the marshalls I've opened up have been, just one big box with a brace in the centre) - is this a good idea? When I tried running one side of a 4x12 by itself the sound was really thin.

Dont play guitar anymore so dont have the chance to try this out for myself again :)

• Members

This has been a terrible thread! But it gives me a good chance to ask a question I've wondered about for a while.

Given that not all cabs are isolated into two chambers inside (none of the marshalls I've opened up have been, just one big box with a brace in the centre) - is this a good idea? When I tried running one side of a 4x12 by itself the sound was really thin.

Dont play guitar anymore so dont have the chance to try this out for myself again
:)

What? Running half a 4 x 12? I can't see why that would be a good idea, although it shouldn't suck horribly either.

• Members

Dont play guitar anymore so dont have the chance to try this out for myself again
:)

The overwhelming majority of guitar cabinets out there aren't really "enclosure tuned."

The electric guitar has a naturally very middy response, and the first examples of guitar amplifiers/speakers were really designed to make the best of that volume-wise. History then kinda defined that, along with folks overdriving them for more volume as "the guitar sound". So getting extended range or flat response out of a the guitar isn't really the goal of guitar cabinet or amplifier builders.

In short, with guitar, try it out and if you like the sound, use it.

• Members

What? Running half a 4 x 12? I can't see why that would be a good idea, although it shouldn't suck horribly either.

I've run that very Marshall 4x12 cab as a "DeTuned" cab and my posts on the topic can be found on here somewhere. IMO - It sounded awesome (and LOUD), but I was using a pair of 8 ohm speakers (not stock - Celestion Neo Century and Eminence Man-O-War IIRC) to be able to emulate two 8 ohm loads and use the stock input jack plate and switches... speakers in the top, bottom holes open and a partial divider inserted horizontally mid-cab to reduce phase cancellation, so YMMV.

• Members

I seem to remember the Marshall stereo 4x12 being two chambers (unlike the "normal" ones) but can't remember for sure...

• Members

Back in my gigging days, I used a Bogner 4X12 Cabinet. I put two Greenbacks, and two Vintage 30's in it.

I then had a wiring array installed so I could run all four from one amp, or run

just the Greenbacks with one head, and the Vintage 30's with another

I used a Harry Joyce head,(#32) with all my effects running into it, and the other side I used a '92 Matchless Clubman.

This made setting up a breeze, as I only needed one cabinet for both amps.

The tone dripped from that set-up.

When it came time to finally sell it....I almost cried.

Archived