Tube Amp Question:

• Members

Well both sides say 8ohms thats what I'm not getting?

The four speakers can be run in mono at either 4 or 16 ohms. The 8 ohm inputs each connect to only two speakers, each providing an 8 ohm load. Since you're running them in parallel at your amp, your amp is actually seeing a 4 ohm load, so that's what it should be set on.

Your cabinet both 16 and 4 ohm inputs. Your amp has a single 16 ohm output, or parallel outputs that can be set for 4 or 8 ohms. You have three acceptable ways to hook it up. I've explained the simplest twice already.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ok, so this seems easiest as I don't have to worry about crap other than the one switch.

The cab switch stays to the right in this way right?

Dude, forget the two cables. It's stupid. You're making this way more difficult than it should be.

• Members

Dude, forget the two cables. It's stupid. You're making this way more difficult than it should be.

I'm sorry. Its because I don't understand the fundamentals behind it. AKA OHMS.

So KISS: One cable connected FROM the 16 ohm out on the head TO either input of the cab, with the cab switched to MONO.

OHMS on the head set to ________?

• Members

no remember, my physics class ommited sound physics in high school

I HATE IMPEDANCE.
:mad:

It's not really a sound concept (well there are cases where it is applied). It's a pure physics one.

Hopefully somebody here can formulate a sticky-able post or link since the subject comes up so often. If not, I can put one together.

• Members

I'm sorry. Its because I don't understand the fundamentals behind it. AKA OHMS.

So KISS: One cable connected FROM the 16 ohm out on the head TO either input of the cab, with the cab switched to MONO.

OHMS on the head set to ________?

Head set to 4 ohms

Cab set to mono.

One cable from 4ohm/8ohm head output to cab.

• Members

Set your amp head switch to 16 ohms.

Set your cabinet switch to MONO.

Connect one cable from the 16ohm speaker output to the speaker cabinet.

Head set to 4 ohms

Cab set to mono.

One cable from 4ohm/8ohm head output to cab.

dude wut. the cab is 16ohm, it's a 1960B.

• Members

Set your amp head switch to 16 ohms.

Set your cabinet switch to MONO.

Connect one cable from the speaker output to the speaker cabinet.

Dammit. No!

Now two of us are doing it. Look at Subs 4x12 picture, not rezrover's 2x12!

4 ohms!

• Members

I dunno why guitar amp manufacturers make their speaker connections so damn confusing.

16 OHM ONLY and 8 OHM PARALLEL ONLY and {censored}. With 4ohm, 16ohm, and stereo 8ohm connections on the cabs... just wire the damn cabs for 16ohm and put a couple speaker connections on it in parallel.

• Members

Thank God for purple.

Just a note: the red settings you have there aren't "wrong", they just make no sense.

Why run two cables from one amp to one cab? Tube amps don't like low-impedance loads, so running 16ohm is ideal... in the red configuration you're running a 4ohm load which can stress the amp, but shouldn't hurt anything.

I don't know why you'd want more volume from a 100w amp anyways.

• Members

Just a note: the red settings you have there aren't "wrong", they just make no sense.

Why run two cables from one amp to one cab? Tube amps don't like low-impedance loads, so running 16ohm is
ideal
... in the red configuration you're running a 4ohm load which can stress the amp, but shouldn't hurt anything.

I don't know why you'd want more volume from a 100w amp anyways.

Thank you!

and thanks to EVERYONE for getting in on this.

Volume is not a problem, I just want to be effective.

And just so I'm 100%: by using the 16ohm out of the head it negates the use of the ohm selector on the head, correct?

Archived