Capo question

SteinbergerHack

• Members
54 minutes ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

Those Dunlop "lever action" strap capos used to be my capo of choice too (they beat the heck out of the elastic strap type capos IMHO), but the lever part of the design tends to make the strings pull away towards one side, and they do it a bit unevenly unless you're really careful as you're putting them on - you have to really press down hard and hold them steady while engaging the lever and locking them down. Some modern capo designs seem to be a bit easier to use in that respect, and tend to be less likely to screw up the tuning / intonation. 

I was thrilled when I discovered Shubbs for exactly that reason. I also like the Planet Waves Tri-Action capo with the adjustable spring. Another cool design is the Dunlop Picker's Pal but I haven't tried it on a really fat neck.

56 minutes ago, DeepEnd said:

I was thrilled when I discovered Shubbs for exactly that reason. I also like the Planet Waves Tri-Action capo with the adjustable spring. Another cool design is the Dunlop Picker's Pal but I haven't tried it on a really fat neck.

I haven’t tried the Picker’s Pal, but I do really like the other two.

Most of my personal guitars have thinner necks. My snasuage fingers tend not to get along really comfortably with big, fat necks. 

• Members
2 hours ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

Those Dunlop "lever action" strap capos used to be my capo of choice too (they beat the heck out of the elastic strap type capos IMHO), but the lever part of the design tends to make the strings pull away towards one side, and they do it a bit unevenly unless you're really careful as you're putting them on - you have to really press down hard and hold them steady while engaging the lever and locking them down. Some modern capo designs seem to be a bit easier to use in that respect, and tend to be less likely to screw up the tuning / intonation. 

Very true. It would pull sideways if not held down first against the board with a decent amount of squeeze. But, it was easy compared to starting my car back then. That hand crank could be dangerous and if your timing had slipped even a little you'd be there cranking your arm off. I don't even want to talk about making the butter or stoking the boiler.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived