Strat Pickgaurd Suggestions

gardo

One thing I had in mind was gold anodized aluminum

[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.pinimg.com\/originals\/37\/cc\/ce\/37ccce72aaa62e34033e8016e9df8566.jpg"}[/img2]

or maybe tortise or even black pearl

I don't want a pg with a square cut out at the bridge ,the corners have to be rounded. I found a few that looked OK but the description said they won't fit Mexican

I agree that it looks great the way it is now... the only other option that I think would be in the same league coolness-wise would be red tort. YMMV.

Whatever color you decide on, your best bet is probably to have a new guard custom made. It's not all that expensive, but they'll probably want to use your original as a template for the new one...

• Members

One thing I had in mind was gold anodized aluminum

[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.pinimg.com\/originals\/37\/cc\/ce\/37ccce72aaa62e34033e8016e9df8566.jpg"}[/img2]

or maybe tortise or even black pearl

I don't want a pg with a square cut out at the bridge ,the corners have to be rounded. I found a few that looked OK but the description said they won't fit Mexican

Man that looks a lot like my Strat except its got White covers and Gold Knobs. I may want to try some black covers over the TX Specials. I may even have them in my parts cab. The Gold as you can see does wear off over time and leaves the exposed aluminum which isn't very attractive. I may try painting it at some point but fear it would only be worse doing that.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tIMG_0479.JPG Views:\t1 Size:\t308.8 KB ID:\t32486338","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32486338","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_0479.JPG"}[/ATTACH]

• Members
I decided to keep it black although I did find one guy who will custom make one in flame maple

it might look pretty wild with the male neck . Its $65 .

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkEAPW2d4uC9WdW9r9o3g-uYcgu519cG8mSlVbv6bRfOd4xTG0zITZHboD-dUh7OcO8w1Cu6KCVlmKgphIRVZ4bO2KT8-f8d0Wq6snHHOPwSlGX_Lq-hgO&usqp=CAE

That could be interesting. I'm inclined to agree with Phil though: Tortoise would be cool.

• Members

Man that looks a lot like my Strat except its got White covers and Gold Knobs. I may want to try some black covers over the TX Specials. I may even have them in my parts cab. The Gold as you can see does wear off over time and leaves the exposed aluminum which isn't very attractive. I may try painting it at some point but fear it would only be worse doing that.

I didn't consider that the finish would wear off, That kills the alum idea. Glad you pointed it out

• Members
How bout just keeping the black pickguard' date=' but refinishing it? - sanding off the gloss, then buffing it up to an eggshell-satin finish. I did this with my SG pickguard, made it look classy.[/quote']

The winnah

• Members

I didn't consider that the finish would wear off, That kills the alum idea. Glad you pointed it out

It took 15 years and a whole lot of playing for that to happen. When you consider the pickguard cost me about $25 that's not too bad.

I should note, The Aluminum is thick enough to help reduce hum. They also change the tone/sustain. I personally like what it does but other might not. Some say it decreases sustain, but I'd have to disagree. Its more like the pickups have been mounted in extremely dense material and the tone is super solid sounding. If you were to compare the tone of a chamber body to a solid and notice how the sound has less wood resonance and more string only? Adding the metal pickguard takes it even farther removing even more resonance and leaving more string tones.

• Members

It took 15 years and a whole lot of playing for that to happen. When you consider the pickguard cost me about $25 that's not too bad.

I should note, The Aluminum is thick enough to help reduce hum. They also change the tone/sustain. I personally like what it does but other might not. Some say it decreases sustain, but I'd have to disagree. Its more like the pickups have been mounted in extremely dense material and the tone is super solid sounding. If you were to compare the tone of a chamber body to a solid and notice how the sound has less wood resonance and more string only? Adding the metal pickguard takes it even farther removing even more resonance and leaving more string tones.

I read an article that said. If you are chasing the SRV tone an aluminum plate under the pickgaurd is a must. This is what got me thinking alumium to begin with. I'm glad that you do notice a difference. What does this add to the bridge / middle poisition ?

• Members

You could consider finding some symbol or word you like, or your initials and carefully use a dremel to carve into the pickguard, reveal the white layer.

This is an example, only I took some white layer off to reveal the middle black layer.

ae3c00886fd653acfce341c40c95fdf5.thumb.jpg.bb9e4d7c6210d3def12bb0291354a644.jpg

• Members

Very skillful albeit creepy copy. I like how you camoed the pickups too although that's my complaint about the blackout strat. You can't make out the guitar at viewer distance. I kinda like green pearl with maybe black coil covers in that regard.

• Members
You could consider finding some symbol or word you like, or your initials and carefully use a dremel to carve into the pickguard, reveal the white layer.

This is an example, only I took some white layer off to reveal the middle black layer.

Very nice work and an interesting idea. . I need to think on that one

Archived