Overrated lead guitarists

Phil O'Keefe

and phil why do you ask in the first place? do you want generate a forum fight about different tastes and preferences? feeding some trolls?

in good ol' days such question would have generated pages of a flame war where moderators needed to shut down the thread for keeping the peace, but never a moderator would have started it :D

I think it's a legitimate question.

I certainly am not trolling, or trying to cause flame wars - and since I'm here participating and watching the thread, there won't be any significant flame wars happening - I won't allow that. :cop: But it's not much of a forum if people can't honestly express their opinions, and when doing so, I certainly don't expect everyone to have the same POVs. However, I've always felt that it's possible to disagree agreeably...

Some people can't stand Clapton, others think George Harrison is overrated, and some even hate the Beatles. I happen to like all of the above, but I'm not going to blow a gasket if someone disagrees and has different tastes, although I would be interested in hearing the reasons why they hold those opinions - thus, the thread.

• Members

Some people can't stand Clapton, others think George Harrison is overrated, and some even hate the Beatles. I happen to like all of the above, but I'm not going to blow a gasket if someone disagrees and has different tastes, although I would be interested in hearing the reasons why they hold those opinions - thus, the thread.

clapton is boring and just plays minor pentatonic and became a maniac perfectionist as every note needs to be played perfect. he lost his creativity slightly after the cream splitt up and he lost the real blues...

george harrison was just always in the shadow of john and paul, to me john and paul were the beatles...

come on, throw your stone....

now i'm trolling :D

• Members

clapton is boring and just plays minor pentatonic and became a maniac perfectionist as every note needs to be played perfect. he lost his creativity slightly after the cream splitt up and he lost the real blues...

george harrison was just always in the shadow of john and paul, to me john and paul were the beatles...

come on, throw your stone....

now i'm trolling :D

Clapton was a huge influence on me. His work on The Beatles (White Album) and George Harrison's All Things Must Pass is what inspired me to play lead guitar. At first, I didn't know it was Clapton and I became a big George Harrison fan (which is not a bad thing).

In the same Guitar Player Magazine article that Clapton admitted to playing on While My Guitar Gently Weeps, he said "why listen to me when you can listen to BB King" so I went out and bought some BB King records.

The way I see it, some people 'get' Clapton and some people don't. For me the notes carry something. While My Guitar Gently Weeps send shivers up my spine - as does much of his playing (especially the earlier stuff). For others it's just notes - the same notes we've all heard before.

I can see how some people think Clapton is overrated - the same way that I see some players who I don't get even though I respect their command of the instrument.

• Members

Clapton was a huge influence on me. His work on The Beatles (White Album) and George Harrison's All Things Must Pass is what inspired me to play lead guitar. At first, I didn't know it was Clapton and I became a big George Harrison fan (which is not a bad thing).

In the same Guitar Player Magazine article that Clapton admitted to playing on While My Guitar Gently Weeps, he said "why listen to me when you can listen to BB King" so I went out and bought some BB King records.

The way I see it, some people 'get' Clapton and some people don't. For me the notes carry something. While My Guitar Gently Weeps send shivers up my spine - as does much of his playing (especially the earlier stuff). For others it's just notes - the same notes we've all heard before.

I can see how some people think Clapton is overrated - the same way that I see some players who I don't get even though I respect their command of the instrument.

you know i was really trying to troll, do you? :)

i'm from the mtv unplugged generation, and claptons unplugged album had a big impact on me. with a friend together bought the tabs and learned all what we could learn...

but seeing the crossroads movie, learning about robert johnson, had a guy we met in italy from vanouver recommend to listen to john lee hooker and jimi hendrix expanded my horizon

later when clapton came out with from the cradle i was fully up to, yeah a clapton blues album,but another friend who is also a good player went to a conecrt at the time and saw a mechanical clapton with a mechanical studio band and when one of hit the wrong note clapton gave them an angry look...

after this story i listened again to from the cradle and comperad it to muddy waters or john lee hooker or you know, and yes compared to them the whle album sounds mechanical technical played perfect but missing the emotions which is so important for playin the blue's

clapton had this, before and when he was with cream and yardbirds, but it seems somehow he lost it during the 70's, he became musical perfectionist and lost his youthfull exuberance...

yes he was a big influence but i moved on like he himself advised in guitar player magazin and i listen to the others now and i dig them much more :)

Archived