Playing backyard parties

Outkaster

• Members

Played lots of them many years ago. None recently. Most of them were a blast.

As others have said, the main thing is logistics. The other thing is to scope out exactly where you will be situated in the yard . . .on the grass, deck, patio? Are people going to be trying to walk through your "stage" as it's is situated?

The neighbors could be an issue too. So they should be informed, and probably invited.

I would also check with the cops. We were shut down by the cops too many times for volume. Some old lady 2 miles away claimed that our noise was rattling her door. The cops said their hands were tied and had to respond to any compliant. Even though we turned down every time, a bitchy person in the neighborhood would call again and the cops shut us down, under the threat of being fined.

So, this is a wildcard if you're playing for money. Do you still get paid if you were shut down after 10 songs? 5? 1?

• Members

That's not the point. OF course we entertain but in our case it ends up being more hassle than it's worth. Especially if you are playing regionally or used to festival type gigs which we do a lot of. It's about being a good fit above anything.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Like any other gig, they can be a blast or they can suck. Yes, load-in can be unpleasant, but I think I'd take any back yard party I've played over some gigs in old hotels we've had, as far as pain-in-the-ass load-in factor.

One guy booked us three years in a row for his pool party, and it rained every time. We were set up under a tent, but still, that tended to put a damper (so to speak) on things. For some of those gigs, we did learn songs at his request that he got up and sort-of sang with us, but hey, it was his party. I'd say stuff like that is the worst occupational hazard of playing back yard parties, along with keeping that one drunk woman away from the tambourine and/or microphone.

On the other hand, this spring we're going back for the third year in a row to some other peoples' annual bash, and it's always been great, cool people and excellent catered food.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived