What brand mic cable do you use?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

FWIW i buy the plain old VTG spiral for $0.35 per foot and haven't had any issue with it.

Easy to work with but the shielding is not that great in high RF environments. Also coils a little funny. This is true of most spiral (serve) shielded cables. There are some double-reverse spirals out there but I don't have any experience with them.

• Members

Cables only have three parameters that can impact how they sound. L,C & R, all of which are easily quantified. If you can't measure the difference, you're not gonna hear it.

As has been previously stated, low impedance XLR cables are going to be pretty much impossible to sort by sonic qualities. Far easier (and more important) to rate is how does it coil and lay, how durable is it and the connectors used. I have found little or no advantage to quad, but do like Neutrik connectors. The EWI clones of Neutrik connectors have held up well for me as well.

• Members

FWIW I use Yorkville and Radial, and even have a few Apex cables for schools, so when they run over them with chair carts I don't cry too hard.

The Radial cables are well made. The current crop of Yorkville cables are fine, but the old ones went south a lot - at least IME.

I've heard great things about the Audioplie cables as well.

I don't enjoy soldering much anymore so it's store bought for me.

• Members

All my cables, main snakes, patch snakes, and DI's are EWI. I've had 1 DI channel fail after about 300 shows on it and 1, 1/4" cable fail because it got the crap pulled out of it. IMO, unless you have money flowing freely from a faucet and can think of no other way to improve your PA system, you shouldn't give a second thought to how the XLR cable sounds. What you should do, however, is spend enough to get a reliable cable. This is where the amateur fails the test. There is a level of spend needed for reliable operation. IMO, EWI is good "blue collar" stuff. It gets the job done and holds up over the long haul.

That reminds me.... Mark, I haven't received my latest commission check yet :D

• Members

For mic cables I usually buy a 6 pack of $35 Whirlwind mic cables which last for a year or two since we got fans coming up on stage who always step on the two front vocal mics since their partially routed on the front of the stage and it never fails when they step up they always step right on the one of the vocal mic cable. It's mainly the drunk cougar types after our kid guitarist. :p

One time a cougar ask the kid guitarist that she wanted to tell him a secret. So the kid guitarist leans over and she slips the old tongue in the ear. :eek:

We almost trained wrecked because we laughed so hard because it was hilarious to see the expression on his face from getting all grossed out. :lol:

For all other cable needs I'm use Mark's EWI cables.

• Members

I use EWI & Canare L-4E6S w/ Neutrik Ends. Both Burning Man Approved ;)

The EWI's are thicker & sometimes have to be put in the sun to Get em to coil nice. The Canare's are thinner and don't handle damage as well. Each costs less than $20 to assemble or buy ;)

There is NO sonic difference.

• Members

Yucko
:lol:
That's funny from a guy that surrounded by horse{censored} all the time.

Sorry you step right into that pile.

A mic cable that can't handle use is yucko. Horse{censored} is just part of the job ;) I shoe horses too, so I'm always up to my elbows in horse{censored}.

• Members

A mic cable that can't handle use is yucko. Horse{censored} is just part of the job
;)
I shoe horses too, so I'm always up to my elbows in horse{censored}.

Whoops old timer thought you meant you didn't like handling a dirty mic cable from being stepped on, my bad.

• Members

Well played, guys.

I dunno... seems like it kind of stinks at this point. I was hoping for a little less talk and a lot more action.

I'm still up for some action.

I'll offer (to anyone): If they'd like to do a shootout and determine for themselves what sounds better (cost effectiveness qualified or not)... if they'll spring for the Vovox cables or similar, I'll send them a free similar length and configuration of a garden variety cable. All I ask in return is a brutally honest side-by-side comparison publicly disclosed.

The offer stands. Talk

• CMS Author

I dunno... seems like it kind of stinks at this point. I was hoping for a little less talk and a lot more action.

I'm still up for some action.

I'll offer (to anyone): If they'd like to do a shootout and determine for themselves what sounds better (cost effectiveness qualified or not)... if they'll spring for the Vovox cables or similar, I'll send them a free similar length and configuration of a garden variety cable. All I ask in return is a brutally honest side-by-side comparison publicly disclosed.

The offer stands. Talk

• Members

Seriously Visconti, I need to know something first. Many of your posts are very noobish but you have a tendency to argue with people that actually know what they are talking about even when the point you are arguing is 100% false. There is no problem if you really want to learn but if you are just here to start arguments please let us know. After the Superbowl thread, I and undoubtably others were on the verge of adding you to our ignore lists.

Visconti is a well known troll from the Political Party. Take it from experience - it's best to just ignore his trolling efforts. :idea:

Archived