What brand mic cable do you use?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I use Belden 8412 for all of my mic cables. It sounds exactly like every other [working] mic cable I've ever used.

Edit: With a high-z cable, the high-end frequency roll-off becomes significantly more noticeable than with low-impedance balanced lines... where the difference is virtually impossible to notice.

• Members

What about speaker cable, because a lot of these companies make highend speaker cable?

Doesn't matter at all... go to your local hardware store and buy some SJOOW and throw some connector on and you'll be in great shape, or buy them off the shelf. As long as you have the right size (gauge) cable, you can't really go wrong. Keep runs short - it saves money, is a lot lighter, and keeps you out of arguments with people who stress out about damping factor.

• Members

Do you have a good link you could direct me to that will explain all mic cable is the same other than durability?

No, but here is a seemingly independent article that's brief and to the point concerning possibly issues that may be of interest to you:

http://homerecording.about.com/od/homestudiobasics/a/cable_quality.htm

More info that may be of interest:

http://www.cardinalproaudio.com/main/micropho.htm

• Members

I found a good post on another gear forum comparing mic cables. A good read.

Seriously Visconti, I need to know something first. Many of your posts are very noobish but you have a tendency to argue with people that actually know what they are talking about even when the point you are arguing is 100% false. There is no problem if you really want to learn but if you are just here to start arguments please let us know. After the Superbowl thread, I and undoubtably others were on the verge of adding you to our ignore lists.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and state that my experience is that different mic cables do not sound different in common uses. There is a huge difference in the quality of the builds and the reliability of the cords and connectors but apples to apples, there is NO SONIC differences between a well made cheap cables and ridiculously expensive cables like Monster. No difference at all except the weight of your wallet.

• Members

i see a pattern. i'm not really buying it. i dont want to point fingers but i will point out the tendency for these posts to be "bait like" in their intentions. their primary function seems to be poking at hot buttons and so far have been wildly unsuccessful as i believe many of us here are aware of this and simply not taking the bait.

or, i could be wrong. that is a possibility. i do find it difficult to fathom that anyone smart enough to find this forum would still have any doubt about the sonic qualities of a proper balanced interconnect based on cable construction technique.

• Members

I found a good post on another gear forum comparing mic cables. A good read.

Correct me if I'm wrong... in your referenced post, this would be the microphone cable brand (and possibly similar or same model) that seemed to sound better to some people's ears via an arguably unscientific side-by-side test conducted by somebody in their home studio:

http://www.soundpure.com/p/vovox-microphone-cable-25ft-/1113;jsessionid=2320ABB6A175A1E0DF2594ED531DCD30

Correct?

If so... you did mention that yours is a live application. Admittedly, I'm not convinced by your referenced "shoot out" or the myriad of other shoot outs I've attended and personally conducted that one reasonably good quality XLR cable sounds better than another.... But regardless... generally there is some kind of cost benefit ratio involved with most live audio applications. I doubt any experienced member here would contradict that. I'll suggest that my collection of approx. 50 mic cables that I use regularly is not out of the norm. If I'm even in the ballpark about my perceptions of norms... I'll suggest it's doubtful that any live SR contractor or performer doing regular stuff is packing around $10K+ of mic cables... even if those $10,000 worth of mic cables (routinely disappearing or getting crushed in the gaps in the stage) might arguably sound better than others to somebody in their home studio.

• Members

I recall fondly a discussion a while back about why it's not a good idea to argue with a pig...

You can never win, and it only pisses off the pig.

Within reason, all mic cable of the class we recommend sounds the same and the same applies to speaker cable.

If the OP wishes to be parted from more money than necessary, it's his choice and I say go for it. Those botique companies need all the guppies they can catch.

Archived