I see NO ONE Anywhere using tracks live..

sventvkg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Full disclosure: never used tracks but have no feelings either way.

Had a friend who owns a bar ask me my opinion on a potential acoustic act. One guy, acoustic guitar and tracks. I walk in as he begins "Riders on the storm" the rain sounds on his track sounds good and I think "this could be interesting" However the guy goes on to sing the entire song with the full karaoke backing track. Not once does he touch his guitar. Went on to do this with another 7-8 songs in the set.

Hate to badmouth a guy trying to earn a living so I said to my friend "well it's your decision in the end". He turns and says "I didn't like karaoke either"

I like tracks like an effect- too much and it's a crutch

​​​​

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I play piano. More often than not, I'll split the keyboard and play left hand bass. Sometimes I'll layer organ on top of piano or electric piano. Nothing programed.

Then there's percussion. My first solo gig a couple years ago, I added a drum rhythm as a fourth voice on the keyboard. Used it for one set, then turned it off. I've recently gone back to replacing the drum track with a simple shaker or tambourine and now use it 90% of the time. Arrange the set to get a good mix of backbeats, shuffles, etc. Change tempos.

Part of my issue is that unlike the vast majority of younger performers (under 65 smiley-happy ) I'm not a four-on-the-floor guy. More like cut time with a eighth note pulse implied. If you tend towards syncopated phrasing, the shaker helps give the audience what they're used to hearing.

• Members

I play piano as well as bass & guitar. With an arranger module you can get the full band sound. If used judiciously, it can make one or two songs really stand out. Unfortunately if done badly it can also get really cheezy. A simple drum track with a piano can fill the room. In fact when playing in a duo, I will take a singer with a cajone any day over another guitar player.

I think many people confuse tracks with full on karaoke sound tracks. It doesn't need to be that involved at all. I have one track I play bass to that is just two sampled sounds , a looped sample of a cash register and single guitar chords strummed once with the the whammy bar. If you haven't already guessed its Pink Floyd "Money". That stripped down essence of the sound gets the audience going every time. The hardest part is playing the bass part & singing.

I know a guitar player that uses set of bass pedals with layered bass guitar and ride cymbal sound. He does mostly country songs but he is always working!

• Members

I'm not fond of karaoke tracks (for me - OK for others).

I don't like someone else playing a solo, and I don't like background singing on my track.

Besides, by making my own tracks (1) I know the chords and/or substitutions I used (2) I can put it in our best key (3) I can re-arrange the song, sometimes even start with the hook so they recognize it, or extend it if it's a dance song (4) I can play the solos myself - it's fun (5) I can mix it for live performance, pump up the snare, bass or whatever needs pumped up to make it sound more live than a recording (6) Exaggerate the groove (7) etc.

But as I said, there is more than one right way to do this.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

I know a LOT of guys working consistently in South and central FL solo and still have not met one who uses tracks..I’m sure there’s people out there who do but for contemporary, pub, restaurant, bars, resorts, beach tiki, Corporate work I know of NO ONE using them solo. Don’t know anyone on Note’s scene however. Again there may be gigs out there for this but not any I play or know of...

its a shame cause Id actually like to do some with my tracks and electric!

Archived