Hey Gibson- what's the holdup with releasing a 12-string Firebird?

bookumdano4

• Members

I hate Firebirds. Could not get used to them in the 60s. BUT... in 1972, a friend loaned me his 1966 Firebird 12 string for a few sessions and to this day, that guitar is THE BEST 12-string electric I've EVER heard recorded. Ever. Ever.

I still call up the isolated track files from the 24track tapes to listen to that sound on all the overdubs I did. It's not like an SG 12, not like my Rics, not like my Gretsch 12s (which are horrible), not like my old 1972 Ibanez 12 (also horrible), not like...well ...any 12 I've ever played. A danelectro won't do it either... just in case anyone mentions it.

I've always figured it was those Firebird pickups coupled with the standard Gibson (non-ric) way of having the low/octave, rather than octave/low.

My tracks with that guitar in 1972 were using it through a variety of stuff... into a full stack Marshall.... direct into the console..... into a twin....into the console with fingerpicks doing a sort of Steve Howe "Awaken" flavored part/overdub, overdubs with a capo to change the entire tonality of that guitar.... overdubs with a flat pick playing ......dull distortion....no distortion....well.... you name it. I normally can not endorse a Firebird in good conscience (nor a flying v for that matter), but that reverse-body Firebird 12string......geez........ w-h-a-t is t-h-e h-o-l-d-u-p Gibson????????

• Members

In all of the conversations about gear, I have only met one individual (in person) who discussed 12 strings with me. We're both R.E.M. and Byrds fans, and we own Rickenbackers. Players talk about their Teles, Strats, and Les Pauls, but never 12 strings. I have an uncle who owns various Gibsons, Fenders, a Brian May, an Ovation, Martins, etc. He doesn't own a 12 string.

With that in mind, I kind of wonder why you're surprised that Gibson isn't reissuing a 12 string Firebird. You might find one used on eBay or Reverb, but I honestly cannot fathom Gibson putting another out.

• Members
There's one on eBay at the moment for a bit less than $3300+shipping: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Gibson-Firebird-V-12-String-Guitar-XII-Gold-Mist-Poly-Pro-Refin-/281800757481?hash=item419ca250e9:g:nhEAAOSwBahVGcuM. Other than that' date=' have you thought about a 12 string Les Paul? One of those might be a bit easier to find.[/quote']

I played a 12-string Les Paul and a 12-string Sg. They just don't sound like that Firebird. I figure Gibson's already planning it, but are slow to get it into the pipeline. Hence, my nagging.

Archived