50th class reunion gig. What to play?

chord123

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Being the wrong band for an event can suck. But situations like this can also present opportunities. I can recall a few times in my past when needing to learn a bunch of songs or do other things in order to accommodate a particular gig was what helped the band form an identity. Took the band from one that just played a bunch of random songs and looking to play whatever gigs we could scrounge up to one that actually had a purpose and a market niche.

• Members

Good point Guido. This is what I am thinking. The worst thing is we fail. The booker will pay us $900. We already have a $100 security deposit. We can give back the $100 if we decline this gig. We supply sound and lights. Worst thing happen they may complain that they did not not get there moneys worth..We may not be the best band for a 50th reunion,but we will have a play list of retro songs. This is private party and the other members of the band are going vote next week to take this gig.or reject it. In our band there is chance the vote will go either way. Drummer has no trouble learning 10 songs in 8 weeks, either would the bass player, or perhaps the singer. The guitar players would have the hardest time learning 10 songs in 8 weeks. But learning the songs and actually playing the songs together as a unit are two different things. It will take rehearsal and rehearsal. Our singer complained we have just 3 sets of music and need 4 sets of music for this gig. We have moved at a slow pace. in a year we only have 2 and half sets down. Anyway if we played a bar in local town and bombed it could be hard to get another gig at that bar I would be scared to be unprepared to play a bar gig. But I think a private party if we bomb it won't matter much if we bomb. We will never see the booker again or chances are we won't be plaiyng a private party like 50th reunion again..So it would be kind of ok for the band to fail .The booker and the 50th class reunion would be upset if we sucked as a band of course. If we suck at this gig this is not going stop us from getting more bar gigs in our town and surrounding areas..it won't damage our reputation.This band needs to get out playing more and lacks experience.The band has no other gigs lined up for the rest of the year. which is no good .I think this gig will motivate the band to learn new songs and get us more gigs in the future.

• Members

My very first paying gig involved accepting gig we weren't really ready for and then being forced to come up with 4 sets of material in a relatively short period of time. If not for that? Who knows. We might have never left the garage.

Of course, this was 1976 and i was 15, but the same general principle probably still applies.

• Members

My singer is worried about if the our band is going to want to learn or is capable of learning 10 songs in 8 weeks. Were looking into having another band (this is another band I am in)share the bill with us at the 50th reunion party. Me and the singer and guitar player are going assess their musical qualities tonight.

• Members

If you can't learn 10 songs in 8 weeks, you need to find better musicians. 10 songs in ONE week, with ONE rehearsal should be doable for the type of music we're talking about here. I mean, c'mon, you're playing "Memphis", not "Tarkus". Stop worrying and voting and get on with it. Make a list of 50 songs, learn them, and play the 40 best.

• Members
okay' date=' easy, with keys? From The Appropriate Era [your list does not cover their HS years...!!']

No harmonies? Gee, Twist and Shout sounds hard? You guys should give up, seriously, this is not the right gig for your band...

Garage rock then:

96 Tears

Louis Louie

Wild Thing

Shout

Lighter Shade of Pale

Green Onions

Like a Rolling Stone

Ain't Too Proud To Beg

Wooly Bully

Hang on Sloopy

These are some good suggestions (I should keep a few of these on the back burner as fill if the opportunity arises)

• Moderators

you guys have spent a year and don't have four sets? And you are not sweating out harmonies? Sorry, but this doesn't sound good. Either you are selecting material far beyond your capabilities, or there are members of the band holding you back, and from your comment, it sounds like the guitar players. Looking at the list you presented originally, I don't see anything there that should cause you guys to not be at four sets, plenty of 'low hanging fruit' on your list; so maybe it is time to look at who is holding you back.

If everyone learns the songs I listed for you, and you can't lock down twenty of them in one rehearsal, I would suggest that this band is doomed.

Remember the TV show 'The Weakest Link'? Find the weakest link in the band and get rid of them. We did this with our band years ago, ultimately fired the lead singer [did not replace], then the second guitarist* [did not replace] and then the bassist [we did replace him...]. That band is still together going on 18 years, we rehearse once a year, just to polish new material.

*funny story, he missed a rehearsal, and we worked on a new song...and everything clicked. We did another one, same thing, and suddenly I realized I was not having to stay out of his way, nor he mine, and what the heck did we need another guitarist for, when we had a keyboard and a harmonica player? Fired him before the next rehearsal.

• Moderators

back in the mid80s/early90s I was in a band for several years, four part harmonies, etc. Our lead singer/bassist was always harping that we weren't ready to gig, this or that wasn't perfect...

We went into the studio to record a demo of originals and a demo of covers, and armed with the demos, I booked us a gig; he panicked. We did the gig, got hired back...I told him 'no one expects a bar band to be perfect, bro, they just have to be good'. We gigged five nights a week for a long time after that.

I just hung out with him last week, and he wants to play music with me again, and I reminded him I was never going to let him put me in his mental trap again...and frankly, what he wants to do is not where I want to go musically, but we have been friends for decades, so I let him talk.

• Members

So the band voted to not to play the class reunion.They compared the reunion to a wedding gig and said it would be unacceptable to share the bill with another band which was a option put on a table. Our band shares gigs at bars lately we play 2 hours the other band plays 2 hours.We have been doing it. So why is not ok not to do it at a class reunion? Why is a class reunion the same as wedding gig. Is it that high affluent. The band said we could not put on a $900 show They felt we could not put on a $900 show, And they said we could not learn one and half sets in 8 weeks. And they said sharing the bill with another band you should not do at a high school reunion. So I am giving this gig to my other band they are exicted about playing it and have put forth song suggustions/ The band members want to play it. I hope they are right band for it.

• Moderators

Well, I hate to say I told you so...

I think it is time for you to walk away from that band. It is not going anywhere, and the level of negativity and lack of confidence is staggering.

I do think splitting a gig like that would be in poor taste, unless there was some 'flair' involved, which from what you have described is doubtful.

• Members

Nothing wrong with knowing your limitations.

But you might want to ask yourself if this what you want to be doing and why.

My impression from your posts is that you are at least 50 years old? Playing with guys mostly the same age who can't manage 4 sets of simple oldies either musically or vocally?

Maybe just have fun goofing around with the guys in the basement and some backyard parties and leave the paying gigs for bands that know what they are doing and deserve to be paid for what they do.

And if you personally are better than the rest of the guys and want to move on, then do so before you get any older.

• Members

Non paid charity event. One of 10 bands on Friday and Saturday raising money that played from 6 pm -1 pm. $10 to see each night.Played five songs on Friday and came back Saturday for 5 more songs.7 million stage and television crew filmed it. Far from open mike night but not not paid gig either.

• Members

Make sure you keep your bass player. Encourage your keys player to play a more prominent role, especially when you don't have a 2nd guitar.

Watch your bass player's mic technique. You're all over the place, which is probably why the sound tech mostly pulled you out of the PA.

Try and end at the same time as the drummer. It looks sharp when everybody stops the song together.

Wes

• Members
People say this our best song. What do you think? Johnny B Goode https://www.youtube.com/

​Again, that's not a link to your vid, but I looked at that one last night as well. The one in the bar, right?

​Different drummer and this is more recent so I presume he's your current guy? He keeps a little better time than the first guy it seems, so that's a step in the right direction.

​Your singer needs to work on memorizing lyrics, at the very least. In the first vid he's reading "Jumping Jack Flash" and in the 2nd he can't remember the words to "Johnny B Goode". If you aren't more comfortable with lyrics that are 50-60 years old, though, I'm not sure what to say. I think I got the lyrics to "Johnny" stuck in my head when I was six. And I wasn't a singer. Just a little kid who liked music.

​And as far as finding songs that are in his 'range'? Yeah, that's a tough one. Frankly, he's a not a very good singer. Can you not hear that when you listen to the recordings?

• Members

Yeah can be ok singer. But a loyal and great guy who has done more things for this band than anyone. Don't like the idea of looking for another singer cause tensions in band. Got in trouble one time posting for musicians on Craigs list. If somebody in the band found out I was posting for musicians without their consent they would let me have it..

Archived