OT: Hurricane Irene

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • CMS Author

Actually the plot looks like it's +-200 miles at your house so I'd not start building the Ark yet - unless you've "heard" something direct from the Big Guy
;)
?

Reminds me of a joke I recently heard:

Guy is shipwrecked on an island. Within minutes he's surrounded by angry native warriors with sharp spears. They speak no English, and appear to be really pissed that he's there. "Oh {censored}, I'm {censored}ED!!!" he mutters out loud. "NO, YOU'RE NOT" booms a voice out of the heavens. "Grab a spear from the closest native, and plunge it into the heart of the King". So the guy reaches over, grabs a spear, and rushes the King, driving the spear right through him, killing him instantly.

From the heavens, the voice booms, "NOW you're {censored}ed!"

• CMS Author

REO Speedwagon - Ridin' the Storm Out

Ouch. Property can be fixed or replaced. Scotch you'll never get back.

-Dan.

Friends held a candlelight vigil, and left empty ice buckets and giftboxes at the scene. We of course flew the "missing shot formation". There was nary a dry eye in the house. The same could not be said for our highball glasses.:cry:

• Members

Back on topic, slightly --

At what point do you guys call off any events/gigs? We have a show Saturday night in Chesapeake, about 20 miles "as the crow flies" from the water. It looks like Irene should be within 80 miles of that point, which means we won't get Hurricane-force winds, but Tropical Storm conditions will likely appear. It is scheduled to be closest to us at about 8 PM Saturday... right when people would be arriving for a 9:00 gig.

• Members

Back on topic, slightly --

At what point do you guys call off any events/gigs? We have a show Saturday night in Chesapeake, about 20 miles "as the crow flies" from the water. It looks like Irene should be within 80 miles of that point, which means we won't get Hurricane-force winds, but Tropical Storm conditions will likely appear. It is scheduled to be closest to us at about 8 PM Saturday... right when people would be arriving for a 9:00 gig.

Indoor or outdoor gig. If it's an outdoor gig I'd call it now.

• Members

that storm plot in the OP shows it being a category 1 by 8am sunday. No big deal really. Especially considering that it would have already spent significant time over land at that point.

Yah gotta keep up :p !

Cat 3 Saturday night now:

map_tropprjpath09_ltst_5nhato_enus_600x4

Might be "bend over and kiss your arse goodbye" time for me :( . The middle of that tract makes landfall right where I live at.

• Members
Indoor bar gig. The load-in is easy and our stuff is all in road cases, so I'm not worried about equipment problems; I'm more worried about driving a trailer home at 2 AM.

Make sure you have plenty of low-down weight in it - bring extra crap as ballast if needed. I'm assuming it has brakes? If not don't even think about it :eek: . Is it close enough that you can load in and bring the trailer home, then come back Sunday after the storm?

• Members

There's not a hotel nearby, and it's a bit of a drive. Our concern was basically that we don't want to chance the drive home with a trailer full of equipment (because we like our stuff), and we don't want to leave the equipment in the building and leave an empty trailer outside (since it'll likely get blown over or at least damaged in some way). It's only a small 5x8, single axle, no brakes, Home Depot trailer.

We're planning on getting there early in the day, if only so that we can beat the rain when loading in, so maybe driving the trailer to the closest band member's house with an enclosed storage area would be a good plan.

• Members

And when the trees are blocking the road at 2AM in the driving rain with the eye of the storm right off shore, you can try doing a three point turn to go the other way, or sleep in the truck. Playing a gig at the height of the storm is just not smart. You will have a treacherous drive home, and my or may not even get there. And lets not forget the other people that will be out are also questionable. Further, it is not unusual during a storm for people to be ticketed just for being out in their car since you are driving faster than conditions allow, by even starting your car.

You should cancel that show now - inside or outside doesn't even matter. Its getting home safely.

• Members

It's really hard to tell what is actually going to happen until

Here in Florida most of us have learned that it's best to stay calm and prepare for the worst, even if our preparations seem futile. It never hurts to have the basic supplies around anyway.

Really a category 2 is nothing to worry about, in most cases, unless you are in the absolute direct path of the storm. For most it would be a very windy and interesting day. I would however worry about homes that are not built with high wind in mind. Even if yours is built well the biggest danger is flying debris from others. With that in mind I always secure everything outside as well as I can. Most of the debris will be tree limbs and such especially in places that don't have a lot of wind normally or have not experienced a storm for a long time. Limbs that are dead or otherwise weak will come right down, the same with trees with otherwise weak or shallow root systems. I've seen some very large old oak trees fall in a storm that did very little damage otherwise.

I think I would wait to officially cancel any gigs until inside of 24 hrs though, however I would probably go ahead and call whoever is in charge and talk about the possibility of cancellation.

Archived