OT: Hurricane Irene

• Members

(and we would never consider using new plywood to cover our windows for a big storm... use the old stuff for that).

Most people in heavily populated areas do not have much space to store plywood for the windows. Even here in florida if your house does not have storm shutters you go to the hardware store and buy plywood when a storm comes(or have your handyman do it). After the threat is gone it will commonly get stashed wherever it can be but if another storm doesn't threaten the home for a few years the owners tend to "reclaim" the space in their garages etc.

In my area we have not had a big threat for a number of years. I only see plywood for the windows at about half of our clients houses.

Of course the smart ones end up getting shutters because it's easier. Even if they think that it costs too much they will change their tune after having to buy the plywood a couple of times.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • CMS Author

Virginia has state inspections on vehicles, so after a while, older vehicles just become prohibitively expensive to own/maintain/keep up to inspection standards.

As well, keep in mind a lot of the places you're seeing on the news are beach/resort areas. For example, in Va Beach, you're seeing a lot of tourists with expendable income (i.e. money to buy new cars), or locals cruising the area looking for hot women (who require nice cars to pull this off, since they've got nothing else going for them).

And down in the Nags Head area of NC, it's all beach/sand driving... which isn't exactly nice on vehicles.

What's always chapped my ass is seeing the news interview some beach resident who's pissed that the beach "they paid to live next to" is now gone, and is demanding that the government restore "their" strip of sand to protect their $5,005,609,998 home.

Actually that's not what chaps my ass...it's that the governmInt DOES it. I guess that's why I like Texas. I read that down there, if a coastal area has been damaged by a storm, then that's that. No rebuilding, no money paid, no nothing. You built next to water, on sand. If you weren't smart enough to understand the risk before the storm, you should understand it after the storm.

Archived