OT: Hurricane Irene

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Talk to the club. I'm sure they are not expecting a great crowd as the seasoned hurricane vets are staying put to batten down. It really isn't worth the risk of losing the gear for a gig that might get cancelled when you pull into the parking lot.

• Members

At this point I'm sure it'll be canceled, we're just waiting on the phone call. We do have a show at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront (indoors) tomorrow, so I need to check on that as well it seems.

Looks like this one might get pretty nasty after all.

• Members
Really a category 2 is nothing to worry about, in most cases, unless you are in the absolute direct path of the storm. For most it would be a very windy and interesting day. I would however worry about homes that are not built with high wind in mind.

In Florida, it's one thing -- you guys have hurricanes all the time. We don't get them. The majority curve off to the ocean, and when they do hit, they're tropical storms or Cat 1 at the most. This area is essentially at sea level, and Hampton Roads (SE VA) is connected by a series of underwater tunnels between cities. The Outer Banks, that little hair you see coming off NC, is connected by a single bridge. When the water starts rising, we have nowhere to go; the tunnels close, the bridge closes, and you either make it or you don't.

Keep in mind many houses in Nags Head and VB are even built on sticks, basically. Parking under them and the supports are just large pieces of lumber. They can't take a Cat 2 force wind.

Here's our big worry:

p120i12.gif

If our area seriously sees 9-12 inches of rain out of this, we're all going to be underwater anyway, so the wind won't really matter. ;)

• Members

In Florida, it's one thing -- you guys have hurricanes all the time. We don't get them. The majority curve off to the ocean, and when they do hit, they're tropical storms or Cat 1 at the most. This area is essentially at sea level, and Hampton Roads (SE VA) is connected by a series of underwater tunnels between cities. The Outer Banks, that little hair you see coming off NC, is connected by a single bridge. When the water starts rising, we have nowhere to go; the tunnels close, the bridge closes, and you either make it or you don't.

Keep in mind many houses in Nags Head and VB are even built on sticks, basically. Parking under them and the supports are just large pieces of lumber. They can't take a Cat 2 force wind.

If our area seriously sees 9-12 inches of rain out of this, we're all going to be underwater anyway, so the wind won't really matter.
;)

I understand that for sure. Kind of like how all the people in california were laughing at the east coasters freaking out over that quake earlier this week.

• CMS Author

If our area seriously sees 9-12 inches of rain out of this, we're all going to be underwater anyway, so the wind won't really matter.
;)

It's rarely the wind, and almost always the water that gets you in a hurricane.

The more I read the forecast, the more certain I am that you need to stay well away from the shore areas, and don't bother with the gig...it's gonna be cancelled.

• Members

The more I read the forecast, the more certain I am that you need to stay well away from the shore areas, and don't bother with the gig...it's gonna be cancelled.

At this point, if the forecast track stays the way it is, we're going to be devastated in this area, so that goes without saying.

My Friday night gig at the Oceanfront still appears to be on, so at least we'll get all the hurricane partiers in full swing.

• Members

At this point, if the forecast track stays the way it is, we're going to be devastated in this area, so that goes without saying.

My Friday night gig at the Oceanfront still appears to be on, so at least we'll get all the hurricane partiers in full swing.

Be careful my friend.

• Members

No, that's not always the case. It depends on the speed of the storm, as well as the low pressure strength. When Andrew flattened everything south of Miami, it was the wind and the mini-tornadoes spawned inside the eye wall. Andrew was a very fast-moving storm. No time to raise a big storm surge, so the coastal damage was minor, compared to what the wind did. We can generalize to a certain extent, but every big hurricane is different.

For anyone here who might be in a non-evacuation zone but still near the general path, just make sure to stock up on fresh water, batteries for flashlights etc., and canned food. Telephone and electricity may stay down for longer than you think. I didn't get my landline phone service back after Andrew for 2 weeks, and it was 2 months until electricity was restored to our neighborhood.

• CMS Author

No, that's not always the case. It depends on the speed of the storm, as well as the low pressure strength. When Andrew flattened everything south of Miami, it was the wind and the mini-tornadoes spawned inside the eye wall. Andrew was a very fast-moving storm. No time to raise a big storm surge, so the coastal damage was minor, compared to what the wind did. We can generalize to a certain extent, but every big hurricane is different.

Should I have stated "statistically"? Speaking to hurricanes ("tropical cyclone"), the deaths from drowning outnumber the deaths from all other causes by a wide margin. And it's not just from storm surge; inland freshwater flooding sometimes causes more drowning deaths than storm surge. By example, 50 of the 56 who perished from Hurrican Floyd drowned due to inland flooding. Nearly 200 died after Diane due to inland flooding.

But 100% of the deaths were caused by being there. GET OUT.

• Members

Speaking of which (scotch things): Our band's wardrobe department just issued me a kilt as mandatory stage attire for an up-coming event. The closest thing I have for proper shoes are some cork logging boots.

And... What's suppose to be under a kilt?

Also begs the question: My shirt wardrobe is comprised of 100% Hawaiian shirts. I suppose a shirt of some type is suppose to be worn with a kilt... and if so... would surfing buffalos or hula girls be more appropriate?

oh... the wardrobe challenges of stars... Thank goodness I don't have to worry about what amount of cleavage is appropriate for the event... I suppose butt-crack cleavage isn't an issue with kilts... I dunno... untrodden territory for me.

For your edification....

• Members

VERY glad to see that the storm has been dropped to a category 1 rather than the predicted category 2-3 from earlier. Wind damage should be fairly minimal due to that. I'm still very glad that it missed Florida since it was a 3 when it was off shore here. We got lots of rain and some wind, but nothing serious at all. I had a bit of palm tree debris to clean up, but that's about it.

• Members

Viewing some of the footage on the intertube of folks escaping Irene... I realize I live in a different world... big-time.

What struck me was the parade of new... NEW, NEW, NEW... high-end vehicles crammed bumper to bumper on the highways leading away. Around here... 10yo. vehicles are considered "new"... 20 - 30 yo. vehicles are common-place/daily drivers... 30+ yo. vehicles are field rigs.

I was "a taken back" by the footage of what seems to be common-place on the eastern seaboard (and we would never consider using new plywood to cover our windows for a big storm... use the old stuff for that).

I dunno... worlds apart it seems.

It's so funny... when I go to the big city... my rig's generally one of the oldest in the Cosco parking lot... so I'm sitting on the bumper, enjoying a smoke, waiting for Liz to gather essentials (she doesn't need my help or we'll have a basket full of Twinkies or some such thing)... anyhoo... I'm looking around the parking lot... and *there* is another rig that's as old or older than mine... and inevitably... while I'm sitting there enjoying my seat on the bumper... one of my neighbors come out of the megastore and pushes their cart over to the "other paid for vehicle" in the parking lot.

• Members
'round here what you consider a normal homestead would be an illegal dump. We're not allowed to keep our "old stuff" around
:freak:

You mean: You can't buy 18 cords of firewood in the "long form" and have a logging truck off-load it in your yard?... and fire up your chainsaw Sunday morning 4:00am... and be prepared with coffee and donuts for the neighbors that wander over to help?

I dunno... maybe that's why folks think nothing about driving onto my "yard"... cause it commonly looks like a logging deck combined with a junk yard operation... and for-goodness sakes... you certainly wouldn't want to park on "gravel"... because most... dang near all of the gravel in the county is on main roads and you wouldn't want to park on gravel and risk plugging up the road.

• Members

Virginia has state inspections on vehicles, so after a while, older vehicles just become prohibitively expensive to own/maintain/keep up to inspection standards.

As well, keep in mind a lot of the places you're seeing on the news are beach/resort areas. For example, in Va Beach, you're seeing a lot of tourists with expendable income (i.e. money to buy new cars), or locals cruising the area looking for hot women (who require nice cars to pull this off, since they've got nothing else going for them).

And down in the Nags Head area of NC, it's all beach/sand driving... which isn't exactly nice on vehicles.

Archived