first time i used my acoustic/electric in about 8 years

mbengs1

• Members

i havent plugged in my acoustic electric into an amp since it was brand new. i never needed to use the electric part of the guitar. i just use it like a normal acoustic. luckily the electronics still work fine. some of the sliders are a bit scratchy but not so bad. its an ovation celebrity made in korea i believe. it sounds pretty good but i have to boost the treble for more clarity. i use a 10 watt guitar amp as my amp. does it make a difference if i use an acoustic amp or a regular guitar amp?

• Members

Depends on whether you want it to sound like an acoustic guitar. If you do, then you need to use an amp made for that purpose. A bass or keyboard amp will work fine if you have one handy. An electric guitar amp doesn't have the right frequency response for an acoustic.

• Members

I have a roland pm-10 personal monitor for my electric drums. i think it can be used for keyboards too. will this work well with my A/E guitar?

This acoustic of mine is the only acoustic i own. i'm thinking of buying another one. i want a high end acoustic like martin, taylor, or any other popular brand. i love playing acoustic, mainly for strummin chords and coming up with bits and pieces of inspiration. my price range is maybe 1000-1500 dollars. can u recommend any? :)

• Members

No recommendations for a high-end. I came from there and can't claim I got discernibly better sound proportional to the price leaps. I'm now playing the Yamaha brand and I'm 50/50 acoustic/plugged. I run it through a Fishman SA220.

• Members
i havent plugged in my acoustic electric into an amp since it was brand new. i never needed to use the electric part of the guitar. i just use it like a normal acoustic. luckily the electronics still work fine. some of the sliders are a bit scratchy but not so bad. its an ovation celebrity made in korea i believe. it sounds pretty good but i have to boost the treble for more clarity. i use a 10 watt guitar amp as my amp. does it make a difference if i use an acoustic amp or a regular guitar amp?

yes

Get and amp dedicated for the acoustic guitar.

There are plenty on the market depending on you budget.

I have several acoustic amps.

SWR-California-Blonde-acoustic-amp.jpg

FishmanLoudBoxPerformer.jpg

I have hit the street with the AC33, although I am not a huge fan of the amp. The price is ok for a battery powered acoustic amp.

ac-33_angle_stand_2_gal.jpg

If you need to push the volume in a live setting, these are very handy and sound great

DV016_Jpg_Large_580219_top.jpg

If money is not really an object, look at the AER line of acoustic amps. They are very nice.

• Members
I have a roland pm-10 personal monitor for my electric drums. i think it can be used for keyboards too. will this work well with my A/E guitar?

This acoustic of mine is the only acoustic i own. i'm thinking of buying another one. i want a high end acoustic like martin, taylor, or any other popular brand. i love playing acoustic, mainly for strummin chords and coming up with bits and pieces of inspiration. my price range is maybe 1000-1500 dollars. can u recommend any? :)

It will work. I've heard of people using them for keyboards. But it won't be ideal. As for recommending a guitar, what's available where you are? We can help narrow it down from there. As katopp mentioned, Martins are very nice guitars. The DRSG is in your price range, at least in the US: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DRSG. Taylor has a few models in that range as well, as does Takamine. Again, though, the most important thing is to know what's available.

• Members

As for recommending a guitar, what's available where you are? We can help narrow it down from there. As katopp mentioned, Martins are very nice guitars. The DRSG is in your price range, at least in the US: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DRSG. Taylor has a few models in that range as well, as does Takamine. Again, though, the most important thing is to know what's available.

I'm in the Philippines. i think they have martins or taylors here but theyre all too expensive.

• Members

[uSER=594338]mbengs1[/uSER] In that case, I would rather go for something more local. The temperatures and the humidity will wreak havoc with every western guitar except the fully synthetic Martin X-Series and some all-lam stuff.

My idea would be to pick and choose from some maker in the Phillipines, or talk to my preferred luthier in Ho Chi Minh City. He goes by the name of Binh and he had build 7 guitars for me and a few for other members here, too. Possibly much cheaper and you can pick what you want and need.

• Members

Frankly, the Ovation Celebrity - plastic back, laminate top - is possibly the best stuff you can have in your climate. All wood guitars would have had issues with humidity.

So will every solid wood guitar that is built for the western market.

I would go for something local or from a similar climate - i.e. Vietnam.

Archived