Martin DX1AE problem

alanwaston

• Members

Greetings, forum members. I'm having problems with a new Martin DX1AE that I just bought online two weeks ago. At first it seemed OK. Then I started to get a buzz on the B and E strings. After looking around online, it seemed the truss rod might need adjusting. I bought the "Martin" wrench and tried loosening, maybe 3 small arcs [like 1 o'clock to 11 o'clock counterclockwise]. This seemed to take care of the problem, but then it came back and got worse. For example, playing a B on the E string would come out as a C unless I pressed very hard. I tried the wrench again, but it was totally loose. I could still tighten it clockwise, but counterclockwise I couldn't even be sure I was engaging it. It's progressively gotten worse, and now the B and E strings won't play at all without a buzz, and even when I press the first fret, all I get is a high pitch sound - clearly it's so low that it hits the upper frets right away. It's unplayable.

Also, I noticed that when I look at the pickguard at a certain angle I can see that it's very scratched up. Not just one scratch but dozens, exactly what I'd expect from going at it a bit too strongly. Clearly NOT a brand new guitar.

Any advice before I get on the phone with the seller? My inclination is to ask for a return and wash my hands of it.

Thanks!

Relax: country ringtones download, message tones download, mp3 ringtones download

• Members

It sounds like your guitar needs a "setup." You can do one yourself if you're handy but you need to know what you're doing and take some careful measurements beforehand. A truss rod adjustment of half a turn or so, which is what you described, is rarely needed. The guitar may also have other issues like an improperly cut nut or high fret(s). It could just be dried out: https://www.taylorguitars.com/sites/default/files/10_SymptomsofaDryGuitar.pdf. That's not uncommon this time of year. However, the implication is that you paid for a "new" guitar and got a used one. If that's the case your best bet is to send it back to the seller. But first put the truss rod back the way it was when you got the guitar.

• Members

You need to get it looked at by a pro to know what's going on. Sounds like the action is too low and you're trying to correct it with the truss rod, which is a common mistake.

The truss rod controls the SHAPE of the neck, but a side-effect of changing it is the action raising or lowering.

The correct way to do it is to set the truss rod for your playing style, then set the bridge saddle to get the height right. Sounds like in your case that might require a new saddle.

• Members

You have received good advice from everyone above - I'll echo what GW348 just said. Without actually seeing the guitar I won't try to diagnose your problem but one other possibility is that it is severely dehydrated - a common problem this time of the year... I would expect a Martin dealer to take better care of his inventory but it sounds like yours has not been.

I'm also a great believe in buying from a real store rather than on line, particularly one with a knowledgeable staff and a tech on hand who can do minor setups on a new guitar. CF Martin IV was quoted as saying he expected a store selling his guitars to set it up for the new owner - and most stores will tweak the setup within 30 or 60 days of the sale.

And before I forget my manners, welcome to HCAG and please report back. That is a good choice and you need to be happy with your new guitar.

• Members
Welcome to the forum. If it is a legitimate Martin purchase' date=' send it to Martin. They'll fix it![/quote']

Or any authorized Martin service center can handle it too.

I have a MC 28 that bought new in the late 80's. Some 20 years later Martin covered the neck reset, sprung for a new bridge and saddle too.

I turned around bought two more Martins.

Another thing to look for is any bowing in the top ( mostly sinking near the bridge from humidity changes. I have a 00016 that is super temperamental to the winter and the top sinks a bit. I basically have 2 travel soap boxes with holes in the box, and a damp sponge in side the box.

Archived