Can anyone help ID this?

Rothstaman

• Members

Inside label ripped...maybe looks black/yellow. Headstock badge or name gone. (I'm leaving the no cash value token, it says a lt about my playing). Pyramid bridge and grover tuning machines. Smells Japanese made to me although I don't have the actual guitar yet.

158561131125722ym.JPG

256367931125721ym.JPG

182659331125721ym.JPG

• Members

Yeh, my picture is probably a higher model since the headstock is bound but Seagull's have always had that narrow tapered headstock. One other way to find out would be to look at the neck block - the last 'gull I worked on was a bolt on neck and would have two bolt heads. Decent guitars, made in Canada by the Art and Lutherie group - I've always felt that their 12 string was good bang for the buck.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Waldens have a similar headstock -- tho the bridge and pick guard don't reflect their sensibilities. The (deco) decal looks a lot like Nippon/Taiwan FG labels from 'the golden era'. Not likely Yamaha (with alteration) because there's no truss rod cover. Not saying it's not a Seagull, but the labels (that I've seen) have always been blue. And the D/G pegs seem closer together on Seagulls.

Edit: interesting thread, and when the guitar arrives, it will be cool to see if it's something where the profile of the head stock has been changed. ie; a filed Tak'/"Washburn" or something. Hope it turns out to be a gem.

walden_zpsj8wdqxvo.jpg

back of Walden with 'Groveresque' style tuners

Walden-D350-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar-_1_zpslf05mm4c.jpg

The only decal I know that has the 'deco' style corner ornamentation are Yamaha. (originally white)

yamahawhitelabelmit_zpsteo2vz3c.png

White-label-nippon-gakki1-300x225_zps176tngxv.jpg

It's a 12, but shows the taper of the FG's that were common back in the day.

Yamaha_FG-230_headstock_zpskhgqsflt.jpg

• Members

I'm going to agree about the Yamaha label inside. It's definitely not a Seagull as the headstock shape is just wrong.

The Yamaha headstock decals used to just be gold leaf and came off easily. On this one they not only refinished the headstock, but also reshaped it. Looks like the rosette was also a stick on and got sanded off during the refinish.

• Members

Eh, stolen? Definitely a low level kleptomaniac more interested in stealing something, anything, if it was stolen. But anything's possible.

So then it's a Yamaha.

A Yamaha that is not, in fact, stolen, but one the owner felt modifications were due and required to further his/her budding career in acoustic guitar counterfeiting.

..wanted to keep that 'theft' angle alive. :)

• Members

The thing that suggests stolen to me is that the label looks like it was scraped off, but not to look better (would have done the whole label). Remember that Yamaha FG-anything from the 70's used to have a huge mystique, with people claiming they sound "better than a top of the line Martin" hahaha

• Members

Or, maybe it was something someone Frankensteined from bits, or made from scratch? Who knows? The electric guys pride themselves on their self-creations from parts and then do the obligatory agonizing over p/ups until they die. Why not think that an acoustic couldn't have a similar birth? That neck might be depicted in Stew-Mac's current catalog.

• Members
Love the transparent rosette. If you tire of that token...dibs.

I admit I butchered the pc, but if you want to talk about the guitar's token, I would like to invoke my right to have an attorney present.

c.gif

j-GPU-shroud-fits.jpg

But off the record: the pyramid bridge has me puzzled. Usually a high end adornment.

Archived