Trying to find the right amp for me. Vox, Fender.

ryanward84@gmail.com

• Members

I've been playing 43 years, Good real Fenders were mostly out of my price range. I've had a few Solid states, a lot of Marshall AVT's which I love the Avt20 the most because I like small and powerful with good tone. The amp of all amps that ended up being my favorite after owning 50 amps over the years was the Carvin Vintage series. I have a V16 combo, a V33 which was made only 5 years from 95-2000, then changed to a 50 watt Nomad. Looks identical but is now the 1-12 version of the 2-12 BelAir. I had a BelAir up until last year but sold due to weight. It kicked butt on power and I would put it up against any Twin any day for the pricetag of 699.00. All that series has great and deep reverbs. They are made in the USA, well built and very attractive in a combination of colors and materials from tweed, blue, snakeskin, red, white, saddle brown, green you name it with various grills of oxblood, black, brown etc....personally I like the Tan brown classic tweed. The one I'm currently playing is the V16 / 5 watt head with 1-12 cab. It's light and we mic our stuff anyway. These amps are seriously underrated. Try one. They are reasonably priced and pop up on Reverb and EBay quite often. They do work great with pedals and covers and footswitch accessories are available. My bass rig and PA are also Carvin

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I feel like I'm probably over thinking this. It would be much easier if I could just have all of Richard Lloyd's vintage amps! I'm leaning towards an AC30 or Super Reverb reissue. The only thing stopping me is somehow feeling like I'm missing out by not getting a hand wired amp...

We'll see...

Those would probably be the two I'd recommend looking into... and maybe the Hot Rod Deville.

I wouldn't worry too much about them not having P2P wiring. Unless something goes wrong and it needs to be serviced (and you plan on doing the work yourself) or you have plans to modify it, it really doesn't matter that much... and on your budget, you're probably not going to find much in the way of hand wired / point to point amps. The only ones that you mentioned that are hand wired are the 80s era Concert, the 60s Bandmaster and the Fender 75. I think the AC-30 would be a better match for what you're after tonally than any of those three amps.

Not everyone agrees with everything thats been said here. Point to point vs. printed circuit board. Both can be found with sh-ty workmanship. I'd take a point to point amp done right any day, for their easier to repair. There are companies that do the printed boards right. Tone King, Boogie, Zinky amps etc.

Yup. :)

• Members
I've worked on many vintage Vox's, in fact the shop I worked at had a ton or old ones stacked up in piles because they blew up so often and no one wanted to pay to have them repaired so they just abandoned them. The reissues are much better builds then the original ones using modern components.

As far as a Blackface, I've owned one since 1967, original owner. I've blow the screen resistors several times due to my own ignorance as a kid running the impedance too high. Compared to a Silver face which I also owned (I ran a black and silver together for about 5 years) They were identical in every way and every component except for the face plate. Those Bassman heads had great designs taken right out of the radio engineers handbook. Transformers are excellent and that's the main reason so many have survived.

Most of your Fender amps using 6L6 tubes are very similar. They vary with things like reverb and tremolo but the components are all about the same. You learn to work on one and you can fix most of them. There are a couple of different circuit versions of course. They basically change between the brownface blackface and CBS eras with a gradual changeover to some dogs like the red knob series in the 70/80/ and back up in quality to the present day.

Your bottom end SS Fenders are all Asian or Mexican made now, but they are past the early Red Knobs and have come up with some solid designs even in the cheapest amps. The tube series are the same circuits they've always used. The only difference is many of the components are improved. They have better quality caps, resistors. Transformers are built the same. If anything the pots may have plastic wipers instead of the original metal type which last forever, but that's not a huge deal. You'll still get a dozen years trouble free operation.

I'm not much for amps with built in effects like the Mustang series either. Computer logic built into an amplifier puts you completely out of business when they go down. If you have separate effects and they go down you can still play through the amp. If the amp goes down you still have your effects to plug into another amp. Repairs on complex amps can only be done at the factory which means the amp is scraped due to factory repair costs. A tube and even many SS amps can be repaired by most competent techs so long as there are no oddball/unique parts.

The bigger differences between vintage and modern is the speakers. Fender used a couple of different vendors and kept them bidding against each other. Most were based on Jensen designs but you could also buy top notch speakers like Altec and JBL which doubled the quality and price of the amps. (another sales tactic - demo an amp with the good speakers and sell them an amp with the budget speakers at the same cost) The speaker choices today are fantastic. You can take any mediocre amp and make it sound much better with a speaker swap out (just like you can improve guitars with pickup changes)

As far as the Super Reverb goes - Its a wonderful amp but for the price they sell I'd go for Fenders Holy Grail of 4X10 amps which is the Bassman Brownface Reissue. Much better circuit design then the Black or Silver Faced amps because the rectifier tube gives it the right sage and saturation. Its got to have the Alnico Jensens though. I've heard some with ceramic speakers and it kills its tone.

My buddy had one of the originals and any place he played the sound men loved that amp because it was just so versatile micing and mixing. I think They make a bandmaster version too. Probibly has reverb and or Tremolo - but that stuff eats up headroom and wattage. The Bassman was just meat and potatoes The reissues have a effect loop for adding any kind of reverb or effect you need, the originals were often modified to have it added.

Bassman_Tweed_reissue.jpg

bassman2.jpg

The other 4X10 amp I loved was the Ampeg VT40 which was a killer 65W combo that simply cranked.

ampeg-vt-40-top-load-4x10-combo-60-65-watt-amplifier-vintage-amp-e887c7fc6eaf74f688d4a86cb95fb63a.jpg

Music Man was A Leo Fender design too. Johnny Winter used them for years. I have a 65W head and while I'm not a big fan of Hybrids. You want clean headroom it will definitely get you there.

284736d1333241420-vintage-gear-pictures-a_mm410_65c.gif

My first real amp was a Musicman

HD65-210.Combo

Very bright sounding.

I will confirm what other's have said Johnny Marr used a lot of different amps over the years. The Vox company even back in the 60's was not noted for reliability. There Custom Classics are probably more reliable, but don't sound like the old ones in IMO. I had a Vox AC15 cc at my house for a while. Remember the Celestion Alnico Blue speaker just about handle the wattage the amp delivers, but they sound great. The Celestion Gold are better if you have to replace speakers down the road.

I saw REM back in the very year 80's I heard Peter Buck was play Vox amps and Fender Twins. That night he did the night with a Mesa Mark amp.

I don't know what's out there in the used market for amp prices, but a Twin Reverb, or Super Reverb will probably get you close to Marr's tone. The Fender stuff is a bit more gig reliable.

If you want jangle, grab a jangle box, which is a bit of gain, compression and treble boost.

The Fender HRD Deluxes and DeVilles are his price range in the used market and are easy to find. The DeVille is loud at 60 watts.

http://www.janglebox.com/

• Members
To follow up I got the Super Reverb Reissue and have been happy with it the last couple of months. I haven't had a lot of time to play but jammed with a drummer friend and was plenty loud at 3.5 to 4 on volume knob. I just picked up a Way Huge Red Llama MkII as an overdrive. It should arrive tomorrow and I'm excited to see how it interacts with the Super.

And yes, it is HEAVY!

Yes they are heavy and awkward to carry.

I never really trust the plastic handles anyway and carry my bigger amps with 2 hands close to my body.

They are actually a touch heavier than a Twin Reverb.

Twins don't really break up, the Super will. I have a Twin that been with me for over 35 years.

I also have a 65 Deluxe and a 65 Princeton, cause I am old now.

I like those blackface Fender amps.

• Members

Hmmmm, if you like Vox, beautiful chimey sounds, and super quality, buy a Matchless and be done with it. I won't die happy until I own one. Since he bought a Super Reverb, I think he will be well served, and when/if he wants out of it, there will always be a market for it.

• Members

From mid February, people:

To follow up I got the Super Reverb Reissue and have been happy with it the last couple of months. I haven't had a lot of time to play but jammed with a drummer friend and was plenty loud at 3.5 to 4 on volume knob. I just picked up a Way Huge Red Llama MkII as an overdrive. It should arrive tomorrow and I'm excited to see how it interacts with the Super.

And yes, it is HEAVY!

Read the earlier posts. The OP has an amp. He's had it since about the first of the year. He doesn't need any more recommendations. You're late to the party. Congratulate him if you want but otherwise we're done here. Nothing more to see.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Update: I ended up trading my Super Reverb Reissue for a 1976 Silverface Princeton (Non-reverb). The Super was great but just too heavy and loud. The Princeton is nice and light and in near mint condition. It is surprisingly able to stay clean all the way to 9 on the volume (unlike a Princeton reverb). It has great glassy cleans!

• Members
Update: I ended up trading my Super Reverb Reissue for a 1976 Silverface Princeton (Non-reverb). The Super was great but just too heavy and loud. The Princeton is nice and light and in near mint condition. It is surprisingly able to stay clean all the way to 9 on the volume (unlike a Princeton reverb). It has great glassy cleans!

nice

• Members

I am planning to find an inexpensive EL84 powered amp to compliment my Princeton and handle more of the overdrive tones. I don't love most pedals for dirt (I do use a Red Llama with the Princeton to push it). I am really looking for an under $500 combo. I'm considering an Vox AC15 or AC10 but there are a lot of other amps out there.

Brit (Vox, Vintage Marshall tone), 5 - 15 watts, Under $400 used, master volume would be nice but not deal breaker. Any suggestions?

• Members
I am planning to find an inexpensive EL84 powered amp to compliment my Princeton and handle more of the overdrive tones. I don't love most pedals for dirt (I do use a Red Llama with the Princeton to push it). I am really looking for an under $500 combo. I'm considering an Vox AC15 or AC10 but there are a lot of other amps out there.

Brit (Vox, Vintage Marshall tone), 5 - 15 watts, Under $400 used, master volume would be nice but not deal breaker. Any suggestions?

That a challenge or 400 bucks.

Take a look at the Egnater Tweaker or may the Bad Cat Cougar 15 ( licensed amp, but not exactly a real Bad Cat)

The Cougars are no longer made and MF blew them out for about 500 bucks. The Tweaker is still made.

[video=youtube;SkkGSukvz4c]

[video=youtube;yrB3lO-E-Y8]

[video=youtube;JqsCcFcycmY]

Marshall options. It about the size of a Fender Deluxe Reverb RI, 20, or 40 watts.

[video=youtube;FyPa8llaUi8]

[video=youtube;bgLk8l3u3-k]

If you only really need 5 watts I have a Marshall Class 5, that is a cool recording amp, at 5 watts. There a second generation, and that's the better one. Made in the UK too.

It's a plug and play amp, no master volume or effects.

[video=youtube;fzZpPc92GKk]

[video=youtube;TJnVdBqvrhw]

[video=youtube;4LeEO5QSGRY]

I am a longtime lover of the Fender Princeton (ask anyone around here... I go on and on about them all the time :lol::o ) but I also have an AC15, as well as a Class 5.

While I tend to run one of my Princetons along with the AC15 most of the time (especially for live use, where my more powerful 20W Princeton Reverb II is usually used instead of my 12W 70s era model) If you want grit, of the two, the Marshall is the far better choice IMHO. But it has very limited clean headroom, and can't stay clean at the same volume levels that a black or silverface Princeton or Princeton Reverb can.

• Members

One thing nice about buy a classic tube amp like Princeton, Blackface Deluxe, a Bassman, or an old Marshall Bluesbreaker is. You many not get a ton of sounds, but what they do they have done well for 50 years. I also like the fact that at the next NAMM show, there's no upgrade or newer bigger better model coming out.

Archived