Rogue neck joint

Freeman Keller

• Members

In my little hobby as a guitar repair guy I've seen a fair number of "interesting" ways to do things. This weekend I got to work on a Rogue resonator that seemed to have a loose neck and really high action. The neck was pulling loose at the bottom and seemed to wiggle a bit in the socket - as far as I could see it wasn't a bolt on and didn't have a neck stick (like most reso's) so I assumed it was a dovetail and decided to shoot some steam in it.

First minor problem - I pulled the 15th fret and drilled a hole for the steam injector. Many people just drill one hole in the middle of the fret slot - for some reason I decided to do two spaced a little on each side of the slot. As I was drilling I noticed some metal shavings coming out at the bit. Turns out the truss rod for this thing goes back into the fretboard extension a couple of inches - my bit was just hitting the edge of the aluminum bar on top (no damage, whew).

Shot the steam, wiggled and press and damn near gave up - it was wiggling back and forth but just wouldn't come apart. Finally "pop" and I had the neck in my hand. Imagine my surprise when I found the entire dovetail cavity was filled with something that looks exactly like - Bondo

IMG_3347_zpsxkjbxco8.jpg

It really wasn't in the structural part of the dovetail (the angled portion) and it really wasn't adhering to the wood all that well - I could chip it out with a chisel

IMG_3348_zpseoykvahp.jpg

Put that stuff in a baggie to give to the owner.

The dovetail itself was garbage - poorly made, poorly shimmed - and I was pretty sure it wasn't going to be a viable joint no matter what I did with it, so I did the quick conversion to a bolt on neck. Only room for one bolt and insert but it will have to do

IMG_3349_zpsswqqo3br.jpg

Anyway, it went back together OK, joint is tight but I'm worried about the structural integrity of the whole neck block area. Made a mental note to avoid Rogues in the future.

• Members

I get your reluctance to work on crap guitars. OTOH, as someone once said, "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick." Or, to put it another way, "Ugly dogs need love too." Sometimes they need it even more.

• Members

Actually, I am willing to work on many guitars that others would never touch, and I do it for far less than they would ever charge. I believe that every instrument should have a chance if possible and in many cases it means that someone somewhere will have some sort of guitar to make music with.

I spent five hours on sunday working on this thing and told the customer that I wasn't happy with the action and I felt that the neck block was going to implode. I told him that since I wasn't happy with it I couldn't charge him anything.

I had better plans for sunday.....

Archived