new active top cabs - M-Audio GSR10

• Members

Got a pair of these http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GSR10/ last Friday. Bought them mainly to use for solo gigs and occasionally for very small power trio gigs as well. Used them solo on Friday night and for a very small venue with my band on Sat. Used them with my Proel Flash 15 subs both nights. Seem to be fine for what I need as long as they prove to be reliable. Certainly not super high output (specs say 121db max) but they will be fine for what I wanted them for. And 25lbs is very nice! I am not able to tell yet if they match the Proel subs pretty closely as far as capability. I did have to roll back the gains on the Proels a bit to match, but that could easily be a slight difference in the level at the inputs tops vs subs. For the price I paid I'll be pretty satisfied as long as they hold up well.

• Members

I just read the 1 review on Sweetwater for these and it made me laugh. It's nothing about the speakers really. I just like the sentence:

"I now have all the equipment I need so far."

I don't think he consciously knew he was being profound. I may have to make this my signature.

• Members
I have always been impressed with M-Audio's other hardware, and I too am curious about how this unit performs for you. The specs seem reasonable, although the max SPL of 121dB limit this to smaller rooms or lower level music:

Is the cabinet shaped suitably for use as a monitor wedge?

like many of the plastic cabs the angle is 45 degrees, which is a little low for a personal floor monitor.

• Members

The M-Audio GSR-12 steps it up to 300 watts and 127dbs for $100 more per box.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GSR12/

I know now even Peavey has an entry level powered speaker.

This one is kind of handy as it is a non biamped active or powered box.

It has a 400 watt built in amp that feeds the passive crossover inside its box and give the same 121 db output. It also has a 8 ohm rated speaker output jack that is rated at 400 watts as well giving a 800 watt total (Peak or with music) system.

( To make it simple peavey just put an amp that gives 400 watts at 8 ohms , 800 at 4 ohms and let the user have external access to it )

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PVP115D

One active for $300 and one passive for $220 and at $520 dollars you have a basic coffee shop system.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PV115/

To me its good to see more and more Active or Powered speakers on the market. Makes it easier to find the right speaker for its intended use.

If you would keep us updated as to how your new speakers work out for you. I'm taking more than a 2nd look at the GSR-12.

Dookietwo

• Members

The M-Audio GSR-12 steps it up to 300 watts and 127dbs for $100 more per box.

I know now even Peavey has an entry level powered speaker.

This one is kind of handy as it is a non biamped active or powered box.

It has a 400 watt built in amp that feeds the passive crossover inside its box and give the same 121 db output. It also has a 8 ohm rated speaker output jack that is rated at 400 watts as well giving a 800 watt total (Peak or with music) system.

( To make it simple peavey just put an amp that gives 400 watts at 8 ohms , 800 at 4 ohms and let the user have external access to it )

One active for $300 and one passive for $220 and at $520 dollars you have a basic coffee shop system.

To me its good to see more and more Active or Powered speakers on the market. Makes it easier to find the right speaker for its intended use.

If you would keep us updated as to how your new speakers work out for you. I'm taking more than a 2nd look at the GSR-12.

Dookietwo

Yep, I thought about the GSR12s too. I could have gotten a pair of b-stocks for about $550. But the 10s are plenty for my intended use, and more compact/lighter. And even with the GSR12s I would have still used something more substantial for all but the smallest band gigs.

Archived