Need a keyboard with killer horns!

sashua

• Members

I am a singer in an R+B/Funk band with some keyboard skills.

I'd like to have a small board in front of me to fill in with some horn stabs but all of the patches I have heard sound very artificial.

I am not a software synth guy either, just a hack looking for a simple solution :-)

Can anyone recommend a decent mid-priced keyboard that has crazy good horns? I do own a controller so a rack unit would also be O.K.

Please help!

Thanks,

Russ

• Members

I guess I am looking for something that's too hard to describe. I've heard the Korg and Roland brass offerings and neither one sounds like a real horn section to my ears, just a lot of massed sound in perfect waveforms.

• Members

Great R&B/funk horns are a tough one.

I always am amazed at how well the old Roland brass section patches from the 90s still work and cut through though. Not the most realistic patches ever, but they work well in loud, live band situations.

Having said, that, I don't use those. I have a Korg Kronos -- which has some pretty crappy stock brass sounds, IMO, but I bought a set of sounds called "Funk and Soul Brass" and was able to create a patch from a couple of those sounds that I'm pretty happy with. But that's not a small board nor inexpensive option.

Really, if you're looking for cheap/small/easy, I don't know that you're going to do much better than picking up an older Roland XP board and just running with those. You might be surprised how well they work once you're playing along with the band.

• Members
If you want fat preset fake brass. Roland has had it covered since the 80s. Real brass; not so sure.

I was just thinking about that

Maybe one of these and he can step up to the mic get out front.

Must have a horn button on it. IDK

Looks very heavy.

You sure would be different.

[video=youtube;wNva5MlAwrg]

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Dear Sashua.

If you got a laptop, shouldn't cost you anything for horns. MIDI the keyboard into the laptop and use a sampler, good free one is Sampletank Free. That's got horns with it already, not the best to begin with - but you can layer 'em up to sound beefier AND now you've got a sampler, you can go HERE for legit. free samples - don't worry, mods, I am nothing to do with the following site so this is truly NOT SPAMMING A SITE - I'm legitimately trying to help this guy out.

http://sampleswap.org/filebrowser-new.php?d=INSTRUMENTS+single+samples%2Fhorns+and+brass%2F

That's a site where all the samples are free. If the sampler doesn't understand a format, Audacity will. Shove the sample into Audacity and save it as a .WAV file - export sound, NOT save - and Sampletank should recognise it then. Nice thing about this setup is, you can have just about whatever sound you like.

If you hear horns you like somewhere else, download, chop out horns using Audacity, save as .WAV. THEN download a free ringtone program to loop the wave. Once you've looped the wave, you can shove it into Sampletank and that'll map it across the keyboard for you. It won't sound real for long notes, should sound real enough for 'stabs' on notes near the note that got sampled - go too high/low and it'll sound fake cos it's too far away from its origination point. But it'll sound pretty cool on stabs.

Couple of sites for you assuming you've got your sampler going and your keyboard plugged into the laptop...

OK, it's soundfonts, don't decry the humble soundfont. Get the Cakewalk SF2 free soundfont player for them, it's got the best playback engine of all of them. On the right, you'll see links to other free sound packs too. Bit of compression/EQ, SF2 fonts sound great for stabs.

If you've not got a laptop to plug your keyboard into, lots of keyboards let you put your own samples into them and have blank patches for that purpose. I wouldn't know how to do that though, I've seen keyboards with blank patches, I know you need Sys-Ex to use them usually but I've never actually done it - sorry.

Hope the above helps.

Yours respectfully

Chris.

Archived