Tell me about your favorite chorus pedal...

steve_man

• Members

Update: I got to try out that Joyo Classic Chorus this weekend. Not bad considering what I paid for it. Its got a phase pattern that's very different from any of the other chorus pedals I have so I expect to get some use from it. Its only mono of course. That my limit my options running dual amps but its very good in mono in any case.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I’ve tried and still trying different chorus pedals on my home board but I’ve had an ‘80’s T.C. Electronic Chrous/Flanger on my live board since 1994. Nothing comes even close in my opinion. Pretty much every chorus I’ve tried lays a blanket over the signal – some nice and rich, some tanky sounding but all “cover” the sound. The TC is the only pedal I’ve used that actually lets the chorus effect sink into the tone as opposed to just adding a “layer” Difficult to explain but it is a more natural, subtle and pure sounding chorus than even their current Corona.

vFcK1c.jpg

• Members
Boss just announced a new Waza Craft update to the CE-2. It looks like it combines the CE-2 and CE-1's functions in a CE-2 style enclosure... and added a stereo out too! I've already asked Boss to loan me one for a HC Review.

I'll be interested in your review... have not been too into Boss pedals as of late, except I like the TU-3 that I have on my bass rig.

• Members
I’ve tried and still trying different chorus pedals on my home board but I’ve had an ‘80’s T.C. Electronic Chrous/Flanger on my live board since 1994. Nothing comes even close in my opinion. Pretty much every chorus I’ve tried lays a blanket over the signal – some nice and rich' date=' some [i']tanky[/i] sounding but all “cover” the sound. The TC is the only pedal I’ve used that actually lets the chorus effect sink into the tone as opposed to just adding a “layer” Difficult to explain but it is a more natural, subtle and pure sounding chorus than even their current Corona.

vFcK1c.jpg

That's sweet! I'm a big TC fan, and just saw that they are still making this!

http://www.tcelectronic.com/scf-stereo-chorus-flanger/

May have to check that one out.

• Members

^Tried it tonight... A little spotty with tracking notes (especially with my mando but that's due for a string change anyway). Better with guitar.

While I wouldnt use it to set intonation, it seems to work ok enough to get in the neborhood. And can't beat the price.

Fwiw- I have an iPhone 6. Maybe it'd work better with different phone styles...

• Members

Lots of good choices mentioned. You'll just have to try some out and find out which flavor is for you.

I've hved an old Boss CE-1 on a shelf in my effects rack (Voodoo Labs GCX switching system) and it sounds amazing. For a smaller traveling pedal board I got the Retro Sonics clone of that pedal and it's spot on. Absolutely perfect.

Try it out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Marshall SV-1' date=' incredible! I've been a Boss man for years, but this Marshall pedal is incredible. discontinued, need to grab one while you can on eBay.[/quote']

Marshall Supervibe has been my main chorus pedal for a good 15 years now. I haven't found anything to replace it so far. I dial mine up so its just mild in the background and simply adds some ambiance, air and movement to the sound. You don't even notice its there unless you turn it off and the dry tone hits you like a tomb stone.

Chorus and echo together emulate an actual Tape delay. I still have my old Rolland Space Echo that has a certain amount of tape wobble as the tape gets old. Allot of pedals try and emulate that sound but there aren't many that can do it very well because its mechanical tape speed and tracking are fairly unpredictable. You can get mild slow downs and speed ups based on tape drag and tape memory as it folds and the fluctuations can be completely unpredictable.

Of course if you want real Phasing, Chorus, Flanging, Echo get a tape deck or two and experiment with the tape feed. Not very practical for live work, but in a studio, the sound quality you can get blows away any pedals I've ever used, especially when running tape at high speed.

• Members

I like the boss BF flangers tweaked for a chorus sound I like a lot. Other than that, the univibe is it, the original chorus pedals. vibe baby, mojo vibe, fulltone, deja vibe, black cat, MJM 60s vibe, Voodoo labs, Dan electro chicken salad etc. all do a good job (first in the chain of fx)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived