what wahwah do you recommend?

mbengs1

• Members

I have a dunlop original gcb-95 crybaby. it sounds ok but lacking in sweep in the midrange. i want a wah that accentuates the mids a little more. i was planning to get the morley bad horsie wah 1 or 2 but i wonder what other choices of wah i have. please recommend a wah for me. my style is instrumental rock ala joe satriani. :D

• Members

I wouldn't recommend a wah at all. You'll only end up going wah, wah, wah, instead of playing or wacka wacka wacka if you have rhythm. With all the DSP they have under their belt, it's about time they put other things under that treadle.

• Members

no wah? but that's essential to instrumental rock tone. satriani and vai are testament to that. but the best wah i've ever heard is a signature wah either of jerry cantrell or zakk wylde or maybe even eddie van halen. i don't really want a signature wah as much as i like a non sig wah.

• Members

Just not into it. Can you imagine if a singer only went wah, wah, wah, ? I think a multi band eq on a wah treadle would be more useful and possibly more interesting. You wouldn't be limited to ooh or ahh for one and you can have continuously morphing tone that moves or stays depending on the whim of the player.

• Members

i have a gcb-95 wah aswell, i modded it, made it true bypass, removed the buffer circuit, change one resistor to have more gain and added a led, to know when its on or not

2-3h investigation on the internet, what and how it can be done, soldering iron, $15 in parts and 15 minutes of modding work

and i'm happy ever since...

oh and i forgot i had two weeks discussion here on the board first aswell, which of the boutique wha's would be the best for me

the modding saved me at least $200 and it made me happy for sure, where as the other wah's would not guarantee it :D

Just not into it. Can you imagine if a singer only went wah, wah, wah, ? I think a multi band eq on a wah treadle would be more useful and possibly more interesting. You wouldn't be limited to ooh or ahh for one and you can have continuously morphing tone that moves or stays depending on the whim of the player.

Some of the best uses of wah pedals have nothing to do with going wah-wah-wah endlessly. Many recorded guitar parts throughout history have been recorded with the wah pedal sitting still in one position - IOW, with the pedal being used as a fixed filter.

• Members

To play a wah correctly, your foot has to work independently of your guitar work, some can, those that can't go...wah, wah, wah or say "not into it", it's an effect that takes years of practice to learn correctly, you just don't turn it on or go wah, wah, wah and expect the girls panties to drop :philpalm:

yes...I went there Phil

• Members

Some of the best uses of wah pedals have nothing to do with going wah-wah-wah endlessly. Many recorded guitar parts throughout history have been recorded with the wah pedal sitting still in one position - IOW, with the pedal being used as a fixed filter.

and also @ StratStevo

Yes we have a Stevie Ray clone around these parts and his wah (Vox or similar of course) mostly stayed in the treble zone I believe. And yes when he did use the foot function it often tracked the guitar line as 'vocally' as possible. Did Voodoo Chile real good I recall. Never saw any roadkill at their gigs.

Anyway (humorless reiteration follows) wahs only do ooh or ah; not nearly the vocabulary I expect out of music. Until they start coming with multi band modulation and not just simple eq but continuously variable modeling - the works, etc... etc... blah blah...

• Members

To play a wah correctly, your foot has to work independently of your guitar work, some can, those that can't go...wah, wah, wah or say "not into it", it's an effect that takes years of practice to learn correctly, you just don't turn it on or go wah, wah, wah and expect the girls panties to drop :philpalm:

yes...I went there Phil

Kirk Hammit did.

• Members

I've had a bunch of different wahs over the years. I like the Vox tones best but I'll sacrifice a little tone for durability. Your typical wahs use a pot that wear out very quickly and become scratchy. The replacement pots are dam near as much as a new wah is.

I the last Wah I bought was the Morley. It doesn't have any pots and uses Light beans with photocells and LED's to control the pedal instead. It has no mechanical parts that are going to wear out like gears and pots and has worked flawlessly for me for a good 20 years now. Its a volume pedal too plus it has a wah gain knob so you can match the wah level to your clean levels or even boost it if you want.

The what contour isn't as talkative as others. Both a Dunlop and Vox have a bigger midrange peak, but for durability and smoothness, I'll take the Morley. I don't use wah that much except for some over the top lead stuff and I find the volume pedal more useful for doing volume swells to get violin type notes happening.

The only thing I don't like a whole lot is the switch is close to the side of the pedal. Morley does make some wahs that are switchless. When its turned all the way in one direction it bypasses the wah using a photocell. Again, because it has no stiff switching, its reliable and you don't have to be standing on the sucker to get it to turn on.

Archived