cracked / broken neck repair cost?

Rothstaman

• Members

Wow....major surgery.

Personally if I'm looking at that as a professional luthier repair, I'm seriously considering just steaming the whole neck off and replacing it.

I'd probably buy something like this for $40 including shipping (assuming it's the correct scale):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acoustic-Folk-Guitar-Neck-Mahogany-And-Fretboard-Rosewood-For-41-Inch-/191687745148

My thinking is that the fretboard is probably going to HAVE to come off anyway. And then you're talking about a refret after messing with binding. Refinishing the neck...And after all that you are going to see the repair.

Personally I'd just buy a whole new neck like the one pictured, rout out a channel for a truss rod and drop one in. Install the new fretboard...then refret, finish and add tuners.

I'm thinking maybe $80 in materials and $220 labor to maybe $300.

Or you could just go gonzo and break it open into 3 pieces as cleanly as possible (the fretboard, headstock and neck body) and then epoxy the whole mess as best you can back together. Once that hardens clean everything up with sanding. Plane and refret the board. then refinish.

Cheap and dirty. Might look like hell but be playable. Some luthiers might not care to attempt this because it's not technically the correct way but it's a cheap option.

• Members

I've done many necks broken off at or above the truss nut but when the truss rod cavity is cracked like that you have major issues to deal with on that repair so it will hold. Unless this is a high end guitar like a Martin or Taylor that's worth a couple of grand you can maybe make out spending up to a grand to get it fixed.

Higher end guitars usually use bone or hide glue so they can be steamed apart. You can look inside the body and see if there's semi white glue around the binding. If you see semi transparent yellow glue the instrument is likely epoxied together. Epoxy doesn't steam apart like the bone glue so the chances of getting someone to repair it properly is slim to zero.

The neck has to come off, fret board removed, Fret board reused if its salvageable, possible re-fret, new binding and cosmetic refinishing to hide the cracks after its re- glued and the neck reinstalled. That's all labor intensive stuff and you need a pro to do it which doesn't come cheap. If this guitar is under $500 I'd say cut your losses and get a new guitar. Repaired necks don't always hold up in the long run even with the best work done.

• Members

Epoxy is the glue of choice because if fills gaps well and hardens well. The idea would be to separate everything out, get epoxy in everywhere possible and clamp it all together. Epoxy actually works better if the joints are not smooth and there's a little bit of gap filling going on...as opposed to hide glue...which likes everything smoother. But then you have that ugly scar there and it's a dicey deal at best. In short...there better be a prized name brand on the headstock to make that all worthwhile.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

To give you a well though out answer Id have to know the brand , model and the price -

without any of that , my answer would be -pass , looks like a cheap guitar to begin with .

Maybe I'm wrong , and it's a nice guitar and your getting it cheap - I see a major chrack under the fingerboard

as well as major crack going two or three different ways -that instrument went threw Hell .

• Members

Sending in my 1988 Guild/Walker D60 to Guild authorized repair. Mine isn't 1/10th as bad as that ER patient. Unless he sees something I don't see. neck, bridge, saddle,braces all fine. needs new binding because of that alien spore mode from outer space and some scratches fixed.

Might do a restore. But Mr. Binh reset the neck and refinished it a beautiful amber color.(by accident - a beautiful screw-up. Dunno if I want to go back to the old finish.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

have to agree, not enough info to say one way or another... fellers, without details sometimes its kinda like asking" how much is a used car?" a rare axe or a first act would elicit entirely different responses...

Archived