who's your favorite keyboardist?

mbengs1

• Members

I don't really know how to explain it other than I think he's a great musician as well as great sound designer, an integral part of the band, and that noone else' synth work has had as much of an impact on me. I realize there are others that probably would, had I ever discovered them.

• Members

I could be mistaken but I could find no Mike Porcero. David Paich yes; even Greg Phillinganes for a short stretch. Michael Bodicker might have been involved as well though I can't find anything under Toto alumni.

The closest to Porcero is of course the Porcaro brothers on drums and bass; both deceased.

• Members

Creative wise, Both Roger Powell and Todd Rundgren inspired me a great deal. I saw them play in the band Utopia at least a half dozen times and they blew my doors off every time. The fact that they are multi talented and can switch playing instruments and all sing great was inspiring too.

Roger Powell! Good call.

I also should mention Howard Jones as a major inspiration. And, although he's primarily a guitarist, Roland Orzabal from Tears For Fears. And can't mention TTF without crediting Ian Stanley on keys as well.

(As a switch-hitting keyboardist and guitarist myself, I too have a soft spot for those guys.)

Here's Roland and Ian at some of their finest:

[video=youtube;CY4va_mw3gk]

• 5 weeks later...

Archived