Sustainiac

Freeman Keller

• Members

A customer has asked me to install one in his Flying Vee, I've read the manufacturer's web page - there isn't anything that particularly scares me but I wanted to see if anyone has installed one and if they had any issues. I realize that I may need to route the electronic cavity bigger and make a new cover plate - that doesn't worry me, nor does any of the wiring or setup issues.

I haven't seen the guitar or unit yet and won't give him an estimate until I do.

• Members

I have not done it myself...but....let me say I think it is an IMPORTANT mod to perform as a luthier/tech. As far as I know...just install like any other pup. Active of course. I've nearly bought two Sustainiac guitars...one was the Jackson Phil Collen, the other was Schecter Blackjack. Hamer also had sustainiacs.

The only thing I can say is make sure this person truly wants the sustainiac...and on a Vee (I mean a valuable V/any guitar). Much of the ground could be covered by an ebow....but of course Phil is adept enough to effortlessly use it during live playing of solos and riffs.

'

Free I think you are adept enough to expertly install the Sustainiac...and I think you should have the experience and confidence. It is a worthy mod provided the customer isn't on a lark. Once he does this, can't go back.

• Members

I have one that came stock in a Jackson DK2S. Bought it quite a few years ago. The one buggaboo I found with it, was when I upgraded the bridge and middle pickup, the change in magnetic field caused the sustainiac to stop functioning properly. There is an internal trim pot I could have messed with, but frankly I put the guitar aside some time ago. There was also some limited time period I missed for getting an upgraded modification from Jackson.

But just thought I'd toss that tidbit of info your way since I did run into that "balance issue". Obviously from the factory, they are able to balance out the p'ups pull with the exciter element in the sustainiac. But hopefully, if you're buying one as an add-on, I'd hope there's plenty of room for adjustment. But lately when I think of that guitar, I ponder more about where the h-ll I put the tremolo arm. LOL

I should dig it out and tinker with it, but it I could really never get a tone out of it that made me bond with it. I ain't no HM shredder.

• Members

I installed one a few years ago on a Alvarez Dana II. The only issues are the placement of the pots and the 2 mini toggles. I "believe" there is a model that has the pots on a wiring harness to the circuit board, but don't quote me on that. (the one I installed, I had to make the pots and the switches on a wiring harness.... NOT fun)

Since a V has a pickguard generally, you may have issues with routing out the area needed for the circuit board. Again, mine was an older model, so the size specs may have changed.

IF you do it, MEASURE 5 times, before taking a tool to it.

Sonically, I loved it! Yes, an ebow is similar, but an ebow works on a single string, impossible to do chord work with. It's a little weird getting used to, but a blast with some delay

Good luck Mr Freeman

• Members

I have a Sustainiac installed on my highly modified PRS Santana SE. I assisted in the installation which was done by a friend of mine who has a degree in electrical engineering and who had previously installed a Sustainiac on his own guitar. It was a huge job and took much longer than we expected. We did have to route out the control cavity a bit to fit the circuit board and 9v battery. This was years ago and I can't remember the issue that came up in the middle of the installation but we called the company on the phone and they were very helpful. There is also a lot of technical info on their website. Once we got it installed it worked fine and still does.

• Members

Thank you everybody - this has been helpful. I met with the owner last night and looked at the guitar. He does not yet have the Sustainiac unit and their website doesn't seem to have any dimensional information or a good wiring diagram. The only thing I could find was a temporary wiring diagram to just find out if its going to work. I'm guessing that there might be differences with different units for different guitars and that good information will come with the product, but its pretty hard to tell much from the web site.

Assuming the manufacturer provides good and accurate information I'm comfortable installing and wiring this thing - as some of you know I've built a few guitars and pretty handy with a router (and making router templates) and I happen to be a retired electrical engineer who has built tube amps, ham radio gear and wired a few guitars .

I know there will be some weirdness here - he has EMG pickups in it already, wants to convert it to one master volume control, and we have to find a home for the second 9 volt battery (as well as making a nice cover that is easy to get into). Since I don't know how big this thing is I don't know if I'll have to route a bigger cavity - I guess we'll find out.

The web site states that installation can take 3 to 12 hours, that's fine, I charge out my time at 30 bucks an hour and the clock is ticking. I'll take a few pictures if anyone is interest in a thread after its all done.

• Members
. . . I'll take a few pictures if anyone is interest in a thread after its all done.

Ooh! Ooh! Me! Me! Seriously, I always enjoy your build threads and even though I'm not primarily an electric guy and there's no chance I'll ever want a Sustainiac it would still be cool to see the install.

• Members

You mentioned about the guitar having EMG pickups. I may be telling you something you already know, but you're going to loose the one one in the neck. You'll have to pull it out and the Sustainiac driver becomes the new neck pickup. It's not a bad sounding pickup in itself - kind of a fat single coil sound. Definitely better than the one that comes with the Fernandes sustainer system. However, when the Sustainiac is turned on, you only have access to the bridge pickup.

Archived