Stars on cheap guitars

Chordite

• Members

I am usually pleasantly surprised when someone talented plays one of my budget guitars. There's that "It never sings like that for me" moment when you realize it is mostly in the fingers. That set me wondering if any of you have spotted vids or pics of stars in their early days on, if not a Johnson, at least on Hondos or Kays or similar?

Jack White on his Kay which he was apparently "given as payment for some upholstery work"jack_white_hollowbody_kay_archtop_paper_bag.png

source http://www.feelnumb.com/2011/10/18/jack-whites-1950s-kay-hollowbody-archtop-paper-bag-guitar/

• Members

Maybe not big stars but I've been to plenty of blues shows with guys playing some cool budget guitars. Saw WC Clark playing an old bolt-on LP copy through an SS Peavey Bandit and liked his sound so much, I tracked down a used bandit for myself. If you don't know Clark, he is often credited with mentoring SRV down in Austin TX. Here's a recent vid of him (in his seventies) playing a bolt-on LP copy:

[video=youtube;TzzxkIbOFAQ]

Used to love the sound that Rick Holmstrom got out of his vintage Harmoy's - Stratotone and Rocket. Here's a vid of him playing a vintage Harmony Rocket (another bolt-on Gibson copy):

[video=youtube;jXzZzD5aEJw]

Blues fans gotta know that Elmore James made all his music with a cheap Kay guitar and Hound Dog Taylor used some cheapy Japanese guitar as well.

Then there's Travis Womack the legendary Gibson 335 player - Wiki:

Travis Wammack (born November 1946) in Walnut, Mississippi, is an American rock and roll guitarist from Memphis, Tennessee. He began his professional music career when he wrote and recorded his first record at the age of eleven. A child prodigy, Wammack's first record was issued when he was twelve years old, and at 17 he hit the American charts with "Scratchy", an instrumental which peaked at #80 in 1964. Wammack got work recording at FAME Studios in Muscle Shoals in the 1960s, and in 1975 released a solo album which generated two hits in the U.S. "Easy Evil" (#72) and "(Shu-Doo-Pa-Poo-Poop) Love Being Your Fool" (Billboard Hot 100 #38).

He was Little Richard’s band leader from 1984 until 1995. Still performing, Travis now works with Muscle Shoals Music Marketing, and has added “Producer” to his resume. He is a member of the ‘Memphis Music Hall of Fame’, and in 1999 Wammack received the Professional Musician Award from the Alabama Music Hall of Fame. In 2005, he was inducted into The Southern Legends Entertainment And Performing Arts Hall Of Fame. In May 2006, Gibson Guitars presented Travis with a new Gibson ES-335 guitar as part of their documentary honoring legendary Gibson ES series players.

Still going strong into his seventies but when you look up performances from the last several years, he's left his Gibsons home to appreciate and gigs his Carlo Robelli 335 copies outfitted with bigsbys:

[video=youtube;G03L8qXw8Zs]

• Members

Van Halen's first Explorer and Randy Rhodes first V were both guitar put together by Charvel/Jackson team using 24 dollar Danelectro guitar necks, Jimmy Page still uses the whole Dano. In fact Fender redesigned the VH Explorer style guitar with a Dano style neck. They only use high end guitars to take your money, Cheap guitar work fine for those 3 big Guitar Heros.If they could take your money fast with Danos you can be sure that would be about all you see ;-)

"Randy Rhoads other request for his guitar would be to have a harpoon-shaped headstock. Sandoval accomplished this by using the existing Danelectro headstock and using dowels on its sides to graft on pieces of wood then cutting them to produce the harpoon shape. The resulting V shaped guitar had a 25.5” scale and a neck radius of 17” and a very unique headstock."

Archived