Realistically, how much ?

Buttcrust

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I seriously doubt it's a fake. Yes, there might be little inconsistencies with modern Gibsons, but you have to remember, that they weren't using CNC machines, and things were kinda cut by hand.

Secondly, the serial numbers of Gibson are well known for being sketchy at best. I had a ES330 and a melody maker, that had the same serial number.

And the Chinese aren't making replicas of 30 year old instruments. or at least, I haven't seen any. Lacquer wears differently than poly, and it's not something the Chibsons have.

My only concern is that it's a GC special. I didn't know they did them in the 70's.

• Members
Guitar Center limited edition 2004 "275" Les Paul Standard 250/275...

Just wondering how you reconcile that with this:

...been in the dudes cellar 35+ years,,,

Did he tell you it had been in his cellar for 35+ years? If so, I think he was trying to rip you off. Not trying to take anything way from your guitar but just sayin'.

• Members

Just wondering how you reconcile that with this:

Did he tell you it had been in his cellar for 35+ years? If so, I think he was trying to rip you off. Not trying to take anything way from your guitar but just sayin'.

thats what the guy I originally got notified by, concerning this instrument, initially told me, that his friend was selling it and it was a 1976. I took it for what he said and told him to bring the guitar and his bud over...well, he did. He introduced me to the person, his friend, who actually sold it to me...says he has too much nerve damage to play..about 45 years old...he didn't tell me how old the guitar is, just sold it to me and left.

thank you for the proper identification

• Members

thats what the guy I originally got notified by, concerning this instrument, initially told me, that his friend was selling it and it was a 1976. I took it for what he said and told him to bring the guitar and his bud over...well, he did. He introduced me to the person, his friend, who actually sold it to me...says he has too much nerve damage to play..about 45 years old...he didn't tell me how old the guitar is, just sold it to me and left.

thank you for the proper identification

Nerve damage must have caused brain damage to sell for $300. Any pawn shop would have done better than that. Rough shape or not, you stole that guitar.

• Members

I get guitars "given" to me...on occasion. Both of my sons were in the school bands and have kept in touch with other band members...big band/swing, jazz, marching band...The school system here gives the students 8 years of musical instruction, if they join the band. Outstanding teachers. My kids play sax and clarinet, and guitar. When their buds grow out of "guitaring", they call my kids, who tell them "come on over, and bring your guitar"...they don't mind, I always let anyone get them back for what I payed...no one ever asked for their guitar back...yet...and , if they do...they know it will be in as good of shape, or better, than when they allowed me to obtain it. I've had more than several nice instruments just given to me...Your pops plays...right ? Give him this thing...I don't play it any more...well you don't have to twist my arm or ask 2x...bring it over...I'll play it...:)smiley-happy

• Members

my "kids" are 29 and 32 now...olo but still play and practice...with a few of their old school buddies...when they come by...men on their own now...but they still come home to my place to play a few tunes and practice and shoot the breeze, on occasion... always fun... smiley-happy My grandson digs the 12 string Harmony...

DSCN0926_zps8d5e3ccd.jpg

Archived