Looking for a Small, Inexpensive Amp

Howie22

• Members

I've had the best luck in small practice amps with the Fender Mustang I.

For one thing, they sound bigger than you'd expect from an 8" speaker amp. But it's also got enough tone variation to meet most of your practice needs. On board fx are pretty good too. Sonically, I like that it's got "thunk" to it and I hear a lot of vibe coming off the speaker. It's pretty lively sounding, and for a hundred bucks, I can't find fault with them.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The good news for you is that the market for small practice amps is amazing. So many to choose from, and you did the best thing by trying them out in person.

I have a Fender Gdec 3, which the Mustang series evolved from. I like it very much, there are a few things I would change, but it is so handy.

I would separate practice amps into 2 categories - tweaker amps and "set it and forget it" amps. The Gdec is a tweaker amp, connect to PC, edit patches, etc. The built in tones are actually decent, so I have never hooked up to a computer. My biggest annoyance is that when you turn it on, it goes to the first tone, rather than where you left off.

Set it and forget it amps like the Roland Cube and Orange usually offer fewer tones, but perhaps sound better, depending on what you're looking for.

My advice is if you want total versatility, get a tweaker amp. if you just want a nice clean sound, look for a set it and forget it amp gives you what you need with minimal hassle.

• Members
I'd get a Super Champ XD used. You won't lose much if you choose to ever sell it later and it will really be practical for the applications you describe.

Yeah, I played the Super Champ X2 model as well. That thing is seriously sweet. Also, that amp is probably loud enough that I could do some gigging with it if I wanted to.

I must admit that I'm a bit enamored with the idea of a "Fender Clean" sound. In my old days of playing electric I always had Peavey amps, including a Blues Classic. That thing was a seriously awesome amp, and had a great clean channel, but it was nothing like Fender Clean.

• Members

So, re-reading the thread, some synopsis:

* Used is probably best.

* I like the "tweaker vs. set-and-forget" dichotomy. (FWIW, I have a Valvetronix and you can ignore the buttons if you want and have a fine little amp, avoiding tweaking)

* You are interested in cleans these days.

I still think that your budget is a problem with the exception of lucking out on the used market. Which we know is a game of "watch and wait." For a beginning player a $100 amp may work well, but because of your experience you are going to very quickly develop expectations for your amp, and I think you'll rue the purchase within 6 months, which stinks.

So I'd watch the used market, check the clean sounds, and if you can't find something nifty, save 'til you can hit around $250-$300. There are some very, very good amplifiers (both new and used, tube and SS) you can find in that range.

• Members
So, re-reading the thread, some synopsis:

* You are interested in cleans these days

Yes, somewhat. What I'm "ideally" interested in and like the best is a very slightly distorted clean sound. A good clean foundation with just a little bit of dirt to break it up. Kind of a country lead sound, or a mellow blues distortion. That Orange 35LDX seemed to deliver that sound in spades, and had a nice clean channel to boost. I also wouldn't mind a slightly dirtier channel for Classic Rock type stuff, too. I have no use what so ever for serious overdrive.

As I stated before, I was absolutely blown away by the clean, reverb-laden "Twin Reverb" setting on the Mustang, and also the clean channel of the Super Champ X2. I think this is a throwback/yearning to my high school band when I had a Peavey Studio Chorus 210 and my bandmate had a Princeton Chorus 210. I was always envious of that sparkling clean channel he had.

So here's what's happening. I talked to a friend this morning who was going to trade his CR35LDX into a big box store. We talked it over, and he's going to give me a good deal on that. I'm helping him out by giving him a little more than the big box store was going to give him on trade in, and he's helping me out by selling it to me at less than it would normally go for on the used market. It's only a few months old and in mint condition, so I could probably easily resell it for what I'm putting into it (in the event I'm ultimately not happy).

I liked that amp a lot auditioning it. Also, it is a little bigger and louder than a lot of the other models I was looking at. That will come in handy if I decide to use it at gigs more quickly than I thought. With the MP3 input, I predict it will get a lot of use around the house for general music amplification, and may eventually go to my son when he gets a little older.

Long term, I'm sure I'll upgrade to a tube amp.

• Members
You can get a store demo of the Yamaha THR-10 for around the 215 mark on feebay. GREAT amp!!! And while I agree that the demo was professionally mixed and engineered' date=' it is still one of the best amps on the planet for the money.[/quote']

I saw a video of Vince Gill the other day talking about his favorite telecasters. It appeared he was plugged into a THR-10, which was then miked up.

• Members

I think you did well, too, but I also think that as time goes on, you'll want a nice small combo tube amp, which does "A good clean foundation with just a little bit of dirt" perfectly.

Fender does a handsome job of this, but used Peaveys are the real sweet spot on that market. You can find them $400 and under and some of them are lifelong amps.

• Members

Cool congrats. You might even find when you "upgrade" to a tube amp...that you are not feeling that upgraded. Just sayin'. I do love tube amps but with the quality of SS amps today and the fact that tube amps are well, less forgiving and need to be just at the right level to really outshine an SS amp, you may just have a full circle. Your love for the Mustang leads me to believe this. And I tend to agree.

I was gonna suggest a SS fender like a Princeton 65 or super chorus. Great sounding amps.

• Members
I think you did well' date=' too, but I also think that as time goes on, you'll want a nice small combo tube amp, which does "A good clean foundation with just a little bit of dirt" perfectly. Fender does a handsome job of this, but used Peaveys are the real sweet spot on that market. You can find them $400 and under and some of them are lifelong amps.[/quote'] There is no doubt in my mind that I will eventually want a tube amp, particularly if/when I ever switch over to using an electric in my gigs (all acoustic format currently). Do the current Fender blues series amps do the typical "Fender Clean" sound, or are they just all grit? My bandmate had one of the tweed Fender amps back in the mid 90s, and it did not. It was just a grit machine. My Peavey Blues Classic was far more versatile.

• Members

The unfortunate answer is "it depends," and it can depend on more than year / model line / version. The DRRI has some nice sounds (I'm not as over the moon for it as some) but it's pricey. And the Hot Rods can do some nice cleans as well, but they're often intensely loud to where it can literally be hard to dial in a reasonable volume (if you're used to acoustic).

I would instead suggest a few things:

* used Peaveys. I just ... really like them. esp 70's/80's. Can have those bottomless, bell ringing tones ...

* the new crop of small-maker hand wired heads. Some of them are outrageously expensive, but you can also get a nifty 10W head (which, when paired with an efficient cab) might provide all the kick you seek for under a grand. They are quite nice, if not highly or easily resaleable. But they are phenomenal amps, many of them. Here's a great example of one such builder: http://www.marshamps.com/

* I have a nice older Blues Deluxe, and it does cleans with a little 'extra' quite well. But honestly I have not heard a more recent BD I've liked as much.

* For heads, the recent trend in micro heads has yielded some great amps. I like the flexibility of being able to plug into different speakers, but I do not gig on guitar and don't have to move my stuff a lot.

There is a ton of variance in tonality between types of speakers and tubes, etc., too. You've already proven you can find something you like by shopping. You will again.

As for SS vs. Tube, an old argument - truth is, both have gotten much better dollar over dollar recently (this neatly ignores whether vintage prices are worth it). But you cannot convince me that there are certain overtones you could have with that sweet Tele that a SS will accurately mimic. Just two different animals.

P.S. I am NOT a "tube sound is always preferable" guy. Love SS and digital sounds and often choose them.

• Members

Tube really gives you less for the money in terms of sound. They're also higher maintenance and more fragile. Also heavier. All this is because a tube amp requires expensive output and power transformers and tubes. At the end of the day you end up with something like a Champ or maybe a little more....but without much in the way of sound versatility other than some EQ and that one sound. Basically a one-trick pony.

A solid state amp will usually have lots of digital effects built in for the same money. While it might not have that subtle warmth to the cleans that tubes give. It will be more quiet and in a bedroom setting offer you loads of sonic versatility.

Tube amps are fun and great for gigging if you have lots of accessory gear like pedals to get your versatilty. But on a budget and in the house....go for solid state and forget all the tube hype. You give up a LOT in terms of versatility, durability, cost and noise floor when you go tube in that situation.

• Members

Completely disagree: if you play through a tube amplifier, you learn to play the harmonic tones and the 'extra' sound of driven tubes. That is diametrically opposed to digital effects. It is a matter of choice. And given the OP's stated interest, it will sound better. A smaller amp will break up earlier.

I don't see a connection between the # of pedals and tubes - in fact, one thing a good mid size tube combo will do is give you a fair range of choices in sound.

Sure, SS amps are good for bedrooms - but OP is already out of the bedroom and gigging. And let's get real: you don't get a nice American Tele to play in your bedroom.

Not trying to be nitpicky, but I'm about to walk into a room to do some tracking where there are:

* a JC-120

* a '94 US Blues Deluxe

* a '68 Twin

* a G-K M250

* Peavey Classic 212

* JC-77

* a few other SS and tube-y things.

I couldn't imagine not having both. Some times I crave the cool, calm, nearly hermetic world of digital FX and a SS amp. Other times, there is no way to bring the rock without a tube, regardless of overall volume and with a lot of range of saturation.

This is what makes horseraces, I suppose. I just couldn't imagine having that Tele and not having a nice, warm tube amp to play it through.

• Members

Sure, SS amps are good for bedrooms - but OP is already out of the bedroom and gigging. And let's get real: you don't get a nice American Tele to play in your bedroom.

A couple of points here. Yes, I am out of the bedroom and gigging. However, my solo gigs and my band are acoustic. I don't really have any gigging application for an electric right now. At this point, it's more of a learning tool, as I want to improve my lead playing chops.

Second, that's not a nice American Tele. It's an inexpensive Mexican Tele. Not that it makes a difference, but it may help you to understand that I'm not pairing a $100 amp with a $1400 guitar,

When the time comes that I'm ready to start playing electric at gigs, there is no doubt I'll be getting a bigger amp that's tube based

• Members
Tube really gives you less for the money in terms of sound. They're also higher maintenance and more fragile. Also heavier. All this is because a tube amp requires expensive output and power transformers and tubes. At the end of the day you end up with something like a Champ or maybe a little more....but without much in the way of sound versatility other than some EQ and that one sound. Basically a one-trick pony.

A solid state amp will usually have lots of digital effects built in for the same money. While it might not have that subtle warmth to the cleans that tubes give. It will be more quiet and in a bedroom setting offer you loads of sonic versatility.

Tube amps are fun and great for gigging if you have lots of accessory gear like pedals to get your versatilty. But on a budget and in the house....go for solid state and forget all the tube hype. You give up a LOT in terms of versatility, durability, cost and noise floor when you go tube in that situation.

I'm sorry but that is a lot of broad brush, my friend.

Some tube amps come with a high noise floor, some are very quiet, even at whisper late night levels.

Tubes deliver distortion and overdrive. If a player never uses od or distortion then a SS amp is great. Also, it's been my expereance that a tube amp will be more dynamic sounding with distortion and overdrive pedals then an SS amp. This is pretty univesally agreed upon. I get that there are budget considerations. The under $300 SS amps are great for new guys who are not yet sure what they want their sound to be.

• Members

It is a broad brush. And my bad, I had thought that indeed you were pairing a 52 RI or Am Std with a $100 amp. I'm not pooing on SS amps; I dislike the whole tube-fetish thing. But my interpretation of "cleans plus extra" was basically the exact sound of a slightly overdriven Fender.

I play one of those nice '94 MIM Teles through a handwired 10W head, and it sounds amazing. Some MIM Fenders are just as solid as Americans. Not all, but some.

Either way - GET A FREAKIN TUBE AMP. You know you want one.

• Members
Oh, I will. And you are right, I do want one. Looking at it now, I could have spent a little more and possibly waited to find a used Vibro Champ, or even a little more and bought a used Super Champ. However, even at the deal I got, the Crush already cost me more than I really wanted to spend in an initial outlay for a first "practice amp." In the event I ultimately don't like it, I feel like I could easily sell it for what I paid.

• Members
It is a broad brush. And my bad, I had thought that indeed you were pairing a 52 RI or Am Std with a $100 amp. I'm not pooing on SS amps; I dislike the whole tube-fetish thing. But my interpretation of "cleans plus extra" was basically the exact sound of a slightly overdriven Fender.

I play one of those nice '94 MIM Teles through a handwired 10W head, and it sounds amazing. Some MIM Fenders are just as solid as Americans. Not all, but some.

I'm a little OT, but the thing that keeps me from the MIM Strats are specs. Guess I'm a spec snob, but the MIA with the slightly wider neck is a must for me. Narrow string spacing, even if by a little, seems for me to be a deal breaker. My loss I guess.

• Members
I am a seriously hard core acoustic guy, and have been for a lot of years. I broke out of my shell today and bought a FSR Butterscotch telecaster (NGD coming sometime next week). I haven't owned an electric guitar in a lot of years.

I want a small, inexpensive amp to start with. Used is fine, I'm thinking something in the $100-150 range would be ideal. Could possibly go more or less. Don't need big volume. I have no gig applications for an electric now. If something came up, I could always mic the amp.

My playing style/sound will be country, classic rock, and blues. So, I'd favor more of a tube amp sound - can't afford a nice tube amp now, though. I don't need super heavy distortion. I don't need a bunch of modeling and effects. Just gain, tone, and volume as the basics. Reverb on the amp would be nice to have.

At the store, I've been playing around quite a bit with that little Vox 4w Blue amp. I like it quite a bit, though it would probably be too expensive for now - even used. Seems like I also played one of those little 5w Bugera amps once and liked that as well. Since I'll probably mostly be playing at night after the kids are in bed, I also like the idea of the attenuation control switch on those.

Thought about the Vox hybrid amps. Also thought about the little Orange solid state numbers. Can't say I've played either of those in a long time, though.

Anything else I should be looking out for on the used market that would work well for me?

EDIT: Seven years and 1600 posts, and I didn't even realize that there was a separate amp forum. Mod can feel free to move this post over there

You might be able to snag a used Peavey C20?

But I would not shy away from SS amps. I am sure you can find one that suits the volume and tubey sound. Maybe a fender?..peavey Princeton 65 or frontman 30, vox pathfinder (though I'd stay away from the valvetronix...the tube is not a preamp tube and more of a gimmick. Bottom line, it sounds really boxy and fake)

Archived