Talk About Anything But Donald Trump and Politics

bee3

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Note the thread title change. I think we finally have our long coveted Shoot the Sh*t thread...

Am I the only one who is vaguely troubled by the thread title change 6 pages in?....feels vaguely Stalinistic, like we're re-writing history...

• Moderators

Johnny Walker, neat. Skipped out early, fired up the Mac... No wait no current songs. Reading a fresh issue of Tape Op first in the sun. If you haven't already go to the Tape Op website and order your subscription for the world's best magazine. It's free! And while technical a lot of the times, a lot of the times not. The very best studio, home and project recording magazine there is. I read every single word of every single article and every single ad. Every single issue. Usually in one sitting.

• Members
Am I the only one who is vaguely troubled by the thread title change 6 pages in?....feels vaguely Stalinistic, like we're re-writing history...
Re-writing it? No. Just referring to it with a different name.

• Members
Re-writing it? No. Just referring to it with a different name.

Same thing - if I start a thread called, "Please list the 5 living things you love the most," and then a week and 100 posts later change the title to "Please list the 5 things you'd murder if you could get away with it," that wouldn't be re-writing history? Hmmmm....

• Members

So, when I post on Facebook about something stupid... I tend to get a ton of comments. When I post a song... crickets. I was thinking of posting inane dumb stuff, building up the comments, then hitting them with an advertisement to buy my album. Similar to the above... thoughts?

• Members
So, when I post on Facebook about something stupid... I tend to get a ton of comments. When I post a song... crickets. I was thinking of posting inane dumb stuff, building up the comments, then hitting them with an advertisement to buy my album. Similar to the above... thoughts?

As a professional digital marketer, I'd say that's genius. You may lose friends, but then...were they really friends?

• Members

I think we're all in need of an open anarchic thread to dispense with the weight of songwriting disciplines at the end of a hard prosodic day...smiley-wink

• Members
Hmmmmm…….so among us now we have Trusty Justy with rock star lifestyle hanging out poolside quaffing beer……...very-happy.png.197c47f720636f02390cc2b0a33804da.png' alt='smiley-veryhappy'>

Click here if you want to live vicariously through my feet.

• Members

So I've been thinking about trying something different... wondering if anyone here has gone down this road? While I have friends who are great drummers, the process of getting them to record on my stuff is really time consuming and potentially expensive. For my album, we recorded the drums for 'free', but it took two entire days between set-up, getting sounds, recording, etc... and I'm sure we could have gotten 'better' sounds had we done it in a real studio ($$). We recorded in a spare bedroom. Of course, I ended up spending money in terms of a thank-you gift for the drummer and the guy who owned the house we used... (case of nice beer and a nice bottle of whiskey). That, plus two days of time adds up...

Anyone have experience with hiring an on-line drummer... someone who specializes in recording drums to your specifications and sending you finalized tracks? I've been looking into it and seeing prices anywhere from $50/song to $250/song... I'm sure this is a case where you get what you pay for, but I'm betting you could get highly satisfactory results for somewhere in teh $100/song range.

Anyone?

• Members
Johnny Walker, neat.

Red or Black?

I've been spending a lot of time re-posting all the articles I wrote on dog training and canine behavior for PsychologyToday.com (100+ posts over 4 years) before they pulled the plug and deleted them all. I'm up to #75.

It's a pain in the ass because I'm using Blogger and if I don't post things just right (and I don't know what the rules are), I have to go back and re-do them. The main things are a) I don't have time to re-do all the embedded links so they open in a new window, and b) when I make changes, the software decides to put huge gaps between paragraphs and I have to go back and re-format the whole damn thing.

The other thing I've been working on is redesigning my dog training website, using Wix, so that it can be viewed on mobile devices. My old server (still creaking along) was Network Solutions who, for some reason, haven't upgraded to HTML5. The new site will be easier to navigate, have animated graphics and be mobile-device friendly. But it's a lot of work...

I keep meaning to re-string my guitar, which in the back of my mind I think will motivate me to write something. There's an actual coating of dust on it!

• Moderators
I've been on a Glenlivet 15 year kick.
Delicious. I love a single malt. Hey, I love a blended as well. Johnny Walker Black is decent and easy to find. But my favorite blended is Monkey Shoulder. It's name is not some modern trendy concoction dreamed up in New York. The term monkey shoulder refers to the men that turn the barley with these huge snow shovel like tools developing what is known as the monkey shoulder. Made in Dufftown, Scotland. Buy it at Bev Mo. Thank me later. Favorite single is Dalwhinnie 15. From... Dalwhinnie, Scotland. The wife and I spent a couple hours at the distillery talking to two amazing old distillers. Tasting the whole time and for free! It was winter in the Highlands! Nobody there and exactly why it chose that time of year. Hard-to-find but I have seen it at Bev Mo as well. Guess what I did in the Scottish Highlands for two weeks? :-)

• Members
So I've been thinking about trying something different... wondering if anyone here has gone down this road? While I have friends who are great drummers, the process of getting them to record on my stuff is really time consuming and potentially expensive. For my album, we recorded the drums for 'free', but it took two entire days between set-up, getting sounds, recording, etc... and I'm sure we could have gotten 'better' sounds had we done it in a real studio ($$). We recorded in a spare bedroom. Of course, I ended up spending money in terms of a thank-you gift for the drummer and the guy who owned the house we used... (case of nice beer and a nice bottle of whiskey). That, plus two days of time adds up...

Anyone have experience with hiring an on-line drummer... someone who specializes in recording drums to your specifications and sending you finalized tracks? I've been looking into it and seeing prices anywhere from $50/song to $250/song... I'm sure this is a case where you get what you pay for, but I'm betting you could get highly satisfactory results for somewhere in teh $100/song range.

My friend pays in the $125 range. Sounds good, really solid. His stuff is straightforward RAWK though, so I never heard if the guy could swing, and it certainly wasn't rough around the edges indie-style. (My favorite loops - Indie Rock loops by Loop Loft...super sweet.) But maybe you could order that ('hey don't play so perfect').. You could try that Tim guy in Nashville - Nashville guys can play anything...

• Members

I always preferred McCallan's to any of the Glens (except Glenmorangie), and Cardhu (which also makes Johnnie Walker).

If I was feeling especially feisty I'd take on a bit of Laphroaig.

Archived