Talk About Anything But Donald Trump and Politics

bee3

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Foose -

All good questions and comments.

If you want friendly, the folks at tdpri.com are great - but you have to be into Telecaster guitars. Not necessarily own one - it's enough to just be heartbroken that you don't. (And willing to kill a reasonably distant relative to get one.)

Yes, snooty is a word.

I've just started posting here recently. Like you, I can't read or write music. I just write words and chords. (And there are plenty of renowned lyricists who don't even bother with chords.) The advice I've gotten here has been terrific, and no one has said anything unkind about my stuff or my lack of musical training. They've all been welcoming and have been good about getting to the point when I ask something.

Even if I haven't asked for any, suggestions for improving my performance skills, including both my singing and playing, are also useful.

None of my questions has been about lyrics, but that hasn't stopped folks from responding.

I don't look at every thread, but I haven't noticed anyone else getting trashed here. So it seems like a pretty friendly forum to me.

Some queries don't seem to invite much in the way of responses. For instance, there was a request to "interpret" some lyrics. You can do that in a sentence, and several people did: "I think it means this," "I think it means that," "I'm not sure what it means." Others are very open-ended, of the wadyathink variety. Those folks could tell us more so we can tell them more.

My one complaint: Unlike at tdpri.com, I couldn't register here using my own name! So here at Harmony Central, I've borrowed Delmont Fullerton's. He doesn't mind. You can call me:

Del

• Members

In many ways I think the forum is better than it has ever been. The infrastructure is stable, the UI is usable and people don't have to re-register and change their passwords and dig confirmation emails out of their spam folders every week or two. The quality of the songs and the comments is very good - ten years ago most of the comments were along the lines of "Great song dude. You rock."

Traffic is down but it's not dead. There are just fewer people on the entire site, across all of the forums. Guitar Jam used to have hundreds of people in it posting dozens of times a day - now it's a ghost town, which is really not the case here.

Be nice to people, comment more than you post songs, and be happy.

• Members

Traffic is down but it's not dead. There are just fewer people on the entire site, across all of the forums.

There are so many more forums around these days that folks are probably just getting spread more thinly.

• Members

I've been here for 3 years now and it's been a good ride.

I've learned heaps from other songwriters comments on other people's songs and how they incorporate and develop.

I've learned heaps by developing my own constructive critique.

I've learned heaps by writing lyrics and evaluating comments. Knowing when to stay with the direction and acknowledging when change would improve the song.

We argue and bicker sometimes like most families - which means we care in our own way.

I like it here.

• Members
In many ways I think the forum is better than it has ever been. The infrastructure is stable, the UI is usable and people don't have to re-register and change their passwords and dig confirmation emails out of their spam folders every week or two. The quality of the songs and the comments is very good - ten years ago most of the comments were along the lines of "Great song dude. You rock."

Traffic is down but it's not dead. There are just fewer people on the entire site, across all of the forums. Guitar Jam used to have hundreds of people in it posting dozens of times a day - now it's a ghost town, which is really not the case here.

Be nice to people, comment more than you post songs, and be happy.

Nice post bro.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

• Members

Anyone know how the bar things under our avi's work? I'm apparently a hall of famer and have 6 red lines out of 10, but only 2591 posts. Whereas RAM is a Guru with 13070 posts but only 4 red lines?

I assume this just means I'm a superior poster?

• Members

What's my likable bar look like?

EDIT: exactly what I thought. Not likable at all! Ha

The forum comes and goes. As long as people feel it's useful it won't actually die. I used to be here all the time and got alot out of it. I think I learned more about my own songwriting by critiquing others stuff.

Archived