Talk About Anything But Donald Trump and Politics

bee3

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So, I was just thinking about modern popular artists... and who really has the complete package. I guess what that means is open to interpretation, but I'm thinking:

• songwriting ability
  • musical talent
  • uniqueness

And I'm talking mainstream artists... I'm going to say that I think Bruno Mars is that guy. Dude is entertaining and I fully respect what he does.

• Moderators

Mars is very good, for sure. I also like Justin Timberlake a lot. Whenever I see live stuff he's pretty freaking impressive. I haven't really been too impressed with his songs though. From a whole different perspective, I continue to be very impressed with Jake Bugg. He keeps getting better. Just when I thought he was a one trick pony Dylan lite, he goes electric! It took Dylan YEARS to do that! :) No but he's really good. John Legend gets a nod from me as does Ne-Yo. Not sure I got that spelling right. I just call him Mayo. Good entertainer, singer, smiler. Hat wearer.

• Members
Mars is very good, for sure. I also like Justin Timberlake a lot. Whenever I see live stuff he's pretty freaking impressive. I haven't really been too impressed with his songs though. From a whole different perspective, I continue to be very impressed with Jake Bugg. He keeps getting better. Just when I thought he was a one trick pony Dylan lite, he goes electric! It took Dylan YEARS to do that! :) No but he's really good. John Legend gets a nod from me as does Ne-Yo. Not sure I got that spelling right. I just call him Mayo. Good entertainer, singer, smiler. Hat wearer.

Yeah, Timberlake is up there too... in addition to his music skills, he's got the acting thing going on... he's amazing on SNL.

• Members
What's my likable bar look like?

EDIT: exactly what I thought. Not likable at all! Ha

The forum comes and goes. As long as people feel it's useful it won't actually die. I used to be here all the time and got alot out of it. I think I learned more about my own songwriting by critiquing others stuff.

What the others have failed to realise is that they are in fact "red marks" against their names everytime they start nit picking lyrics

;)

You and me are in the clear.

• Moderators

Yeah, Timberlake is up there too... in addition to his music skills, he's got the acting thing going on... he's amazing on SNL.

​He's got that thing where you imagine you'd like him if you met him. You'd hang out over a beer and then he starts calling you. You know, you start hangin' with Justy. Everyone waves when you show up poolside. Hey! It's my buddy Lee. You guys are gonna love him! Hey Lee, tell that joke you told me last Friday night at the bar!!!

Oh Justy! Stop it!

• Members

​He's got that thing where you imagine you'd like him if you met him. You'd hang out over a beer and then he starts calling you. You know, you start hangin' with Justy. Everyone waves when you show up poolside. Hey! It's my buddy Lee. You guys are gonna love him! Hey Lee, tell that joke you told me last Friday night at the bar!!!

Oh Justy! Stop it!

I take issue with you calling him Justy. That is... terrible.

But workshopping a tune with JT would be pretty cool.

• Members

Something to ponder. Borrowed from a friend's facebook status which he titled Music Dork Fact #2:

The Phrygian Mode is the key that unlocks all the other modes... Take all the modes in the key of C for example: Ionian is just C major. Dorian is the Bb scale starting on C. Phrygian is the Ab scale starting on C, Lydian is the G scale starting on C, Mixolydian is the F scale starting on C, Aeolian is the Eb scale starting on C, Locrian is the Db scale starting on C. Take those scales - C Db Eb F G Ab Bb C and you have the C Phrygian Mode. Mind blown.

• Members

Oh Justy! Stop it!

It's the "Men want to be him, women want to be with him" thing. See Frank Sinatra, Jack Nicholson, Derek Jeter.

• Moderators

Come to think of it, I'm starting to see Justin B3 as Justy. Pool and all! He wears cool hats. When he doesn't shave he looks even cooler. Did I mention the pool? Ukulele pool party at Justin's! Only songwriting forum guys and hot chicks allowed.

• Members
Come to think of it, I'm starting to see Justin B3 as Justy. Pool and all! He wears cool hats. When he doesn't shave he looks even cooler. Did I mention the pool? Ukulele pool party at Justin's! Only songwriting forum guys and hot chicks allowed.
In!!!

• Members

Hey, I'm hanging at the pool but none of you are here... and not a ukelele in sight! Oh well, guess I'll just watch the kids play and open a beer.

On the stereo at the moment: John Mayer's Heavier Things. Nice summertime album.

Archived