String suggestions for ES-335 copy

wankdeplank

• Members

Need new strings for this bad boy (See NGD thread). What I have in stock is D'Addario XLs, DR Tite Fits and some other generic nickel coated strings (all 10-46). I do have one set of DR Pure Blues nickel strihgs and one set of D'Addario Chromes (Ribbon wound 11-50) that I had bought to use on my Ibanez Artstar before I sold it. Out of those, which do you recommend to get da maximum blues tonage?

Also, I don't usually change string guage and this Carlo Robelli came with 10s on it like I normally use. Would using the 11-50 set lead to any neck adjustments? This thing is dialed in perfectly and I really don't want to fudge it up. Also have a little carpel that may not agree with the thicker guage strings. Is going 10 to 11 going to be a big change in feel? Grats.

• Members

If the guitar is dialed in so well already and carpel is a concern stay with 10's . I'd probably use the DR strings for now even though I tried them on my 335 copy and wasn't t completely satisfied but then mine had a neck issue at the time so it wasn't a fair evaluation..Mine currently has Curt Mangan 10's because that's what the tech put on when he fixed the neck. I'll most likely go back to D'addario pure nickel 10's next time because I have them on hand..

• Members

@Deepend: You right. Might have to throw that pack of strings onto my CL Dimarzio Strat pickups ad to sweeten the deal and get em outahere. One of those impulse buys years ago. It just doesn't seem like it would be worth the time and risk to my carpel situation. Thx much.

@Gordo: You guys are the voice of reason, much appreciated. Not sure if you're referring to the DR Tite Fits or the pack of DR Pure Blues (pure nickel). Can't tell if you like the pure nickels or you're just throwing them back on to get rid of them.

• Members

When I think "335" I usually think "Light Top, Heavy Bottom". But to get a bit more vibe/brightness, I'd probably go for a nickel plated string, not a pure nickel wound. Look for pure nickel if you want a bit more of a jazzy tone.

DEXL140-P.fpx?cell=540,400&qlt=90&cvt=jpg

But I don't find the need to get thicker than 10s on the high end (plus it keeps it a bit more jangly that way) but the heavier bottom can pull a bit more of the woody tone out of the laminate maple tops.

• Members
Need new strings for this bad boy (See NGD thread). What I have in stock is D'Addario XLs, DR Tite Fits and some other generic nickel coated strings (all 10-46). I do have one set of DR Pure Blues nickel strihgs and one set of D'Addario Chromes (Ribbon wound 11-50) that I had bought to use on my Ibanez Artstar before I sold it. Out of those, which do you recommend to get da maximum blues tonage?

Also, I don't usually change string guage and this Carlo Robelli came with 10s on it like I normally use. Would using the 11-50 set lead to any neck adjustments? This thing is dialed in perfectly and I really don't want to fudge it up. Also have a little carpel that may not agree with the thicker guage strings. Is going 10 to 11 going to be a big change in feel? Grats.

Depends if you are a big bender? (Not in an elton john way)

• Members

I get good intonation and less tuning issues using boomers on my Dot. I do like the D'Addario full Nickel. It gives the guitar an older blues tone similar to Flats. I've also been using SIT strings again. I used them for years and got some bad sets so I quite using them for a long time. They have new sealed packaging now and they are back up to high quality standards so they are back on my list. I like the gauging better then the D'Addarios and have them on my Dot now. They B G and D strings are stiffer then the D'Addario which makes them great on a semi hollow body because you can get low action without the flab and buzzing. Great for playing chords.

The Dot came with 11~52's but that was a bit too much for the plywood build with the high humidity in my area. The top was beginning to warp and played hell on the truss before I corrected it. I've gone down to using 9/46's or 10/46's and have no more issues.

I did try DR's but got burned too many times with those strings. They don't intonate right and the wrappings wear too easily. I also switch the guitar to mini Humbuckers so my decisions are for getting the best tone combination. With the Full sized HB's The guitar was dark sounding and I'd use GHS Progressives which really brightened it up. Those strings are probably the best Strat strings I've found to date. They are the brightest strings I've come across that don't loose their bottom end, have great intonation and can make a guitar Jangle.

What you need for it is really dependent on the pickups tone and feel you want. For me I like to getting solid round tones when I have a clean sound dialed up, so I can get a full sound Beatles tone singing and playing chords, but I also like the instrument to crank when I gain it up to get the ES335 tones Derringers got back when he played live on the Roadwork album with Edgar Winter. I love those great midrange tones he got playing through an Ampeg and being able to slide all the way down the neck and have the strings sustain. That's hard to do if the strings are too heavy so I usually go for the 9/46's

• Members

@Gasman: Hey stranger, where you been hiding?

After reading some of the other responses, I'm a little reluctant to throw heavier strings on it now. Anyway, it doesn't need any help on the bass end. I like a good bass response and assumed Jazz boxes didn't have any till I found this little sleeper.

@knotty: Mostly a Blues influenced player so yeah I like to bend, and yeah not like E.J..

@WRGKMC: A lot of food for thought. I think you guys have talked me into putting some regular 10 to 46 nickel plated strings on it. Should be the best of all worlds, that won't mess up the action or the intonation which is spot on.

• Members

@Gordo: You guys are the voice of reason, much appreciated. Not sure if you're referring to the DR Tite Fits or the pack of DR Pure Blues (pure nickel). Can't tell if you like the pure nickels or you're just throwing them back on to get rid of them.

I was recommending the DR Pure Blues based on the choices given

D'Addario pure nickel 10's are my favorite.. I keep a supply of them so I don't run out.

I'll go back to D'Addario next change so I can compare them to the Curt Mangan's that I'm trying now.

• Members

Hmmm, interesting. Do the pure nickels give it more of a twangy sound?

Still haven't gotten around to changing those bad boys and I can see the corrosion. I'll bet they've been on this thing for ten years because A) there is absolutely no fret ware, & B) it plays in tune but when I put it down and pick it up the next day, everthing's gone a little flat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

So I ended up throwing a tusq nut on it and then used the flatwounds I had on hand (Chromes). Reading posts on some other sites saying that 335's are made for elevens and that they benefit from a wound G string. Don't really know what the rationale for all of that is, but I figured what the heck, what's the worst that could happen. Long story short, I love the tone, some crazy Grant Green Jazz tone that is really quite amazingly delicious. Can still bend the strings, even the wound G.

Really digging this bad boy. Still can't believe I got it so cheap. Played a Gibson ES 335 while I was at GC buying the nut, and gotta say it's got nothing on this Robelli in the tone or playability department. Truth is, GC should do a better job setting up their guitars.

• Members
So I ended up throwing a tusq nut on it and then used the flatwounds I had on hand (Chromes). Reading posts on some other sites saying that 335's are made for elevens and that they benefit from a wound G string. Don't really know what the rationale for all of that is, but I figured what the heck, what's the worst that could happen. Long story short, I love the tone, some crazy Grant Green Jazz tone that is really quite amazingly delicious. Can still bend the strings, even the wound G.

Really digging this bad boy. Still can't believe I got it so cheap. Played a Gibson ES 335 while I was at GC buying the nut, and gotta say it's got nothing on this Robelli in the tone or playability department. Truth is, GC should do a better job setting up their guitars.

Thanks for the follow up glad it turned out so well

A wound G string , Hmmm ,now you've got me thinking

• Members

Hey DE. Yeah, this is a set of flatwounds I had on hand, D'Addario Chrome lights. They go eleven on the high to fifty on the low. I was reluctant to install them due to my carpel condition and fact that one poster had a problem with heavier strings on his Dot, also afraid of set-up and intonation headaches. Well, happy to report so far so good. These strings dialed in incredibly low without even having to tweek the truss, just a little thumbwheel action at the bridge. Also, the intonation stayed exactly the same. The tone is just incredible, I have a Les Paul and a couple of US Hamers and this is different beast that I can only describe as Jazz City - getting a rich full very fundamental tone. I pick this baby up and I'm just happy to play old standards by ear (Moon River etc.) cause it just sounds so right. Also playin some Surf on it and it's rich and full with better reverb than I get with my solid bodys So I guess it inspires me to play in different ways, but so far no real pain with bends (barre chords are easy too with the action I have). The flats definitely have a different feel (so smooth) but I'm all about sonic versatility and it's a small price to pay.

Archived